Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Members,

To those in the know.....

I understand that the vehicle is built in Spain but due to the 25% Chicken tariff, it has to be broken down and reassembled.

So my questions are:

1. Are the parts shipped and then assembled in the US or is the vehicle fully assembled first in Spain and then taken apart?
2. What parts are involved to be reassembled and is the final US assembly in the Charleston plant?

It's amazing we still have this tariff in place.

Thank you all again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I tried to figure this out as well. From what I've been able to tell, built in Spain, shipped to the UK, and the fuel tank and part of that system is removed along with most of the suspension, including axles and differential. There may be more but not sure. I think part of the rule states It has to go into two different containers. Yea, stupid rule. I guess it worked...they are now building sprinters and OTR heavy trucks in the US. I don't believe the
Passenger vans to through any of this. If I was running the show I would've put cheap throw away seat and carpet and called it a passenger van. Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But does this only apply to the cargo van version and not the wagon (with full seats)??

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes. The passenger versions are completed and shipped complete to the USA, no disassembly or reassembly.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The passenger vans are assembled in Spain entirely. Cargo vans used to be fully assembled in Spain, road tested, and then the entire drivetrain and fuel tank (engine, transmission, front axles, driveshaft, rear differential, and rear axles were removed. The body would be placed in one container, the drive train in another, the containers placed on separate ships, and then the same parts would be reunited in Ladson.

However I noticed on a van at my dealers lot, the sticker said the engine was sourced from the United States; M274s are built inthe US by Nissan, so that is possible. How it works under that circumstance I do not know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts