Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m ordering a custom build on a Mercedes Benz Metris Passenger Van and was wondering if there is such a thing as an average wait time? Is it erratic or is it faster now than it used to be? First they told me March, if I ordered in December and then told me May, after leaving a deposit last week.

I’ve read here and there of completely different lead times, from a few months to over a year.

What date did you order yours and when did you actually receive it? Was the delivery date quoted correctly?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ordered: January 5, 2018
Promised: Lots of things
Delivered: December 18, 2018 in so-far near perfect condition.

Two details -- First, there was about 1/2 oz or so of coolant spray (very little) on small areas of the front driver's side engine compartment. I cleaned up the coolant spots and assume an eager lot boy tried to pop the top hot (the van had 19 miles when delivered which leaves the dealer a good 10 to play). There is no evidence of overheating or anything major, but you gotta notice coolant spots on a new engine bay. Also, the coolant reservoir cap doesn't have much of a detente to lock it down, but I don't know if that's normal. The van was brilliantly detailed otherwise, presumably to justify the "Zurich Shield" I tried to avoid and didn't pay for.

Second, The drivers door bottom speaker may be buzzing with bass. I am actually sure it is buzzing, but it's a close call whether I waste a day to let the dealer open it up, put it back, order the speaker or argue, and then come back for another round of the same to get the new speaker installed. In the alternative, I could pop the door panel and confirm whether it's the speaker or the mounting causing the buzz. Sounds like the speaker to me, but it's a close call.

So far the Metris 135 has exceeded my highest expectations. Just don't pay retail.

Reactions: DerDichter

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that’s almost a year waiting. Lucky you are finally enjoying it! Did they give you an honest delivery date or kept changing it?

Hopefully speaker is a little loose and not just a el cheapo speaker. I listen to bass heavy music, so if they are not quality, I would have to change them.

What kind of a discount over MSRP did you get?

Enjoy & Happy New Year!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Wow, that’s almost a year waiting. Lucky you are finally enjoying it! Did they give you an honest delivery date or kept changing it?

Hopefully speaker is a little loose and not just a el cheapo speaker. I listen to bass heavy music, so if they are not quality, I would have to change them.

What kind of a discount over MSRP did you get?

Enjoy & Happy New Year!
I doubt it's a cheapo speaker. It was on one song when I had adjusted the bass off of the neutral middle setting by two notches.

MSRP: $36,671 (Incl. Dest & Delivery)
"Cash Price:" $32,607

Fine Print: I negotiated backwards from an out the door price that represented a 10% discount over MSRP -- $33,004 plus registration and tax for the bare vehicle -- I was willing to pay $39,600 OTD including the 4/120 ELW and the Service A/B incentive. My offer included an incentive to the dealer (in my mind) with a separate offer of $3,100 for the MSRP $3,380 4/120 ELW. I refused the Zurich Shield. The dealer had to sell Zurich Shield for $199 and wanted to show MSRP on the ELW so they reduced the selling price of the van as shown to $32,607. I didn't care as they exceeded the original offer from when I ordered (given I'm getting a MY old vehicle it ain't much to ask for 10%) and they hit my out the door price.

BTW, in California it is possible to calculate the OTD price pretty accurately using the state's DMV website. I think I left $200 to $300 on the table (or more), but it was worth it as my total time at the dealer was less than 15 minutes, literally. I think the fleet sales people are more willing to drop the BS as they are used to B2B transactions. The only price comps I have came from two dealers with stripped white MMCA3G 135s, none of which were equipped as nicely as mine (if I may say so)!

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
336 Posts
I ordered my passenger in October'17 and got it in January '18 - 10 weeks. However, that's to Canada where we don't have the Chicken tax problem, but that wouldn't affect passenger vans would it? US passenger vans come in fully assembled don't they? Have things slowed down a lot in the past year? Is there some some quota that is limiting production to the US? Mind you, ours are built more to European specifications (Speedometers, mirrors, TPMS system etc,) which may make them easier to produce. Anyway it arrived sooner than I expected, I almost wasn't ready! 31K km so far and only had the A service and a headlight bulb replaced. I've recorded every fill-up and will post mileages when it's a year. Tire wear (Celsius) seems even - some center wear at the back. Love it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Didn't a bunch of 2018's get held for a software update? Pretty sure someone here had posted about it.

My 2016 order took about 4 months from Dec 2015 to April 2016.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I ordered my passenger in October'17 and got it in January '18 - 10 weeks. However, that's to Canada where we don't have the Chicken tax problem, but that wouldn't affect passenger vans would it? US passenger vans come in fully assembled don't they? Have things slowed down a lot in the past year? Is there some some quota that is limiting production to the US? Mind you, ours are built more to European specifications (Speedometers, mirrors, TPMS system etc,) which may make them easier to produce. Anyway it arrived sooner than I expected, I almost wasn't ready! 31K km so far and only had the A service and a headlight bulb replaced. I've recorded every fill-up and will post mileages when it's a year. Tire wear (Celsius) seems even - some center wear at the back. Love it.
Mine is a MMCA3G cargo 135

·
Registered
869 Posts
Didn't a bunch of 2018's get held for a software update? Pretty sure someone here had posted about it. My 2016 order took about 4 months from Dec 2015 to April 2016.
I heard several hard to believe reasons.

1. MB forgot to EPA certify the 135 thinking it was the same vehicle as the MMCA2G 126

2. They had to fix the alignment, fuel smell and trans mounting bolt recall issues

3. Multi-hour software update

4. Political optics of opening the Sprinter assembly line in South Carolina, only to offer another foreign light commercial van

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I ordered mine in May 2015 and got it at the end of October 2015. However mine was one of the first vehicles delivered so I wouldn’t judge my time at all

·
Registered
258 Posts
My passenger van was delivered at the end of June 2016, exactly 13 weeks from when I ordered it and ahead of schedule. The van sales manager was very helpful and was able to modify a van ordered for stock to speed up the process.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far we have one person who waited 5 months for a custom Metris build in 2015, one who waited 4 months in 2016, a 2 1/2 month wait in late 2017 to early 2018 (shortest wait), a 4 1/2 month wait in late 2017 to early 2018 & a 11 1/2 month wait in 2018 (longest wait).

Focus805, you got a great deal!

Thanks to all for sharing all the info!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Howvood sounds like they switched his order for another, so not exactly a wait for his original order, although it worked out great for him.

The dealer that I used to place the order for a custom Build, keeps sending me info. on other Metris’ that are available now in other dealerships around the U.S., but they are so far all a compromise on my selections and I’m in no hurry, as I have a working vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Howvood sounds like they switched his order for another, so not exactly a wait for his original order, although it worked out great for him.

The dealer that I used to place the order for a custom Build, keeps sending me info. on other Metris’ that are available now in other dealerships around the U.S., but they are so far all a compromise on my selections and I’m in no hurry, as I have a working vehicle.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
336 Posts
I believe my passenger van was one ordered for stock that was modified for me (without me asking) to include exactly what I wanted including factory hitch, auxiliary battery etc. The commercial van salesperson at MB London (Ridley) was excellent, and I got a modest discount. Absolutely no complaints.

·
Registered
869 Posts
My 2018 ordered October 31st, and delivered March 12th. No b.s., and went completely smoothly.
The array of 'promises" from my dealer were the result of going through three sales people as the dealership changed hands. Fortunately, the fleet manager from whom I ordered my original vehicle was very knowledgeable about the vehicle (I go in only after I think I know everything that can be read from the dealer and press about the vehicle) and clued me in to linkages like Aux battery and eco stop/start. Most of all he suggested I look at the 135 WB. For an extra $500, I decided I wanted it in a millisecond after I figured out that the overall length of the vehicle extends only the exact same 9 inches as are added to the wheelbase. I would not have bought an additional 9 inches of rear overhang. Anyway, the fleet manager reconfigured an existing dealer-ordered vehicle that was further ahead in the queue and was able to add the cold weather pkg and rear heating/cooling ducts about a month after the original order.

The second and third sales people were relative rookies who obviously had no contact with Ladson or MB even. My original expected build date was late April 2018. Build happened 6/29/18. Shipped to Ladson in late August 2018.

I had no warning of any of those dates, so I was pleasantly surprised every time the van actually moved through the MB process. So, nobody really lied to me about the order -- they were more typically just terminally uninformed.

G

·
New 2019 Metris order

I’m ordering a custom build on a Mercedes Benz Metris Passenger Van and was wondering if there is such a thing as an average wait time? Is it erratic or is it faster now than it used to be? First they told me March, if I ordered in December and then told me May, after leaving a deposit last week.

I’ve read here and there of completely different lead times, from a few months to over a year.

What date did you order yours and when did you actually receive it? Was the delivery date quoted correctly?
I ordered a custom 2018 cargo in June of 2018. The order was cancelled 10 days later by Mercedes as they were switching to building the 2019's. In July I ordered a custom 2019 cargo and was told to expect it in December. Last I heard it is still at the port in South Carolina. I am going to have GTRV do the camper conversion once it arrives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are only a few examples in this forum to form a good basis of comparison, but there does not seem to be a certain wait time trend between the custom orders. Delivery times are erratic and don't even make sense, even between those ordered around the same time. It can take anywhere from 4 months to a year & only faster for folks in Canada.

I'll let you know how long mine takes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered a custom 2018 cargo in June of 2018. The order was cancelled 10 days later by Mercedes as they were switching to building the 2019's. In July I ordered a custom 2019 cargo and was told to expect it in December. Last I heard it is still at the port in South Carolina. I am going to have GTRV do the camper conversion once it arrives.
I'm in the same boat! Unfortunately interest rates on loans have risen since the order from SRMB :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered my 126 Cargo van in August 2018 and was told it would probably arrive in November, but no later than January 2019. My sales guy informed me in November that it was produced on Nov 7. So I put on my party hat and waited for it to arrive. Still waiting. After stalking my sales guy and finally calling MBVans US customer support, I found out this afternoon that my van, which was COMPLETED in early November, is expected to ship on March 6, 2019. Of course, shipping from Spain triggers another 45 days of wait time, since once it arrives in Ladson it has to be reassembled, put on a train to Long Beach, and then trucked to my dealer in So Cal. I am beyond irate at (a) my dealer's and (b) MB's complete indifference to customer support and standard business practices. First, I shouldn't have had to call MB myself, my dealer should have been on it, particularly since I had expressed to him my desire to know why it hadn't been shipped as promised. Second, MB shouldn't make their customers wait this long, and certainly shouldn't do so without an explanation, which should be proactively offered. What could have happened to a van that was completed in early November? Defects? Recalls? Fork lift hit it? Just TELL me so I know what to expect! I realize that the Metris is the very cheapest vehicle that the company sells, but holy cow, how do they stay in business?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts