Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

How hard would it be to mount passenger seat rails in cargo version?

19K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  mikit 
#1 ·
I have the 2017 cargo version but would like to add at least one back seat with enough peace of mind that it has decent structural integrity to restrain a passenger during a fender bender. I see lots of Metris passenger seats and rails for sale online (probably pulled from conversions) and wonder if this is the simplest/cheapest solution for me to securely add a seat.

I have the cargo package and so there is a nice deck already with the cargo lashing rails I'd like to keep. I figure I could rout new channels in that deck and then bolt down the seat rails if they don't occupy the same mount points.

• Are the passenger seat rail mounting points different and so I could have both systems concurrently?
  • What would I need to remove under the van to gain access to tighten bolts?
  • I have the Metris BEG.pdf from the upfitter portal, is there other documentation I could find that would help?
  • Of course I have no side curtain airbags in the cargo area, are there any electronic connections for the back seat belts or anything else I should look out for?

Thanks,
Jerome

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I ended up with a rear seat that came as an add-on to my new 2017 worker.
I figured "how hard could it be"?" to hack and slash the cargo rails to support a seat?

Well the answer is: "Really Hard"
Those silly Germans made sure the mounting hols didn't line up ;(
I am confident I could have made it fit, bit would it pass muster in an accident?

Needless to say, if anyone in SoCal is interested is buying a seat and rails...

Attachments

#4 ·
Which van do you have and do you have any rails installed?

Well, I ended up with a rear seat that came as an add-on to my new 2017 worker.
I figured "how hard could it be"?" to hack and slash the cargo rails to support a seat?
Your 2017 worker Metris Passenger came with seats but they were not attached or you were just given seats when buying a Worker Cargo?

Did you have the cargo lashing rails or the seating rails installed? I ask because I would think the seating rails would be the necessary part.

#5 ·
Why would this not work or be unsafe?

I am genuinely curious and wish to know the true answer to the following...

Why wouldn't Metris Passenger seats mounted on properly fitted and torqued Metris Passenger seat rails installed in a Cargo variant be safe? With respect to rear seating alone, what is the difference between this and what is sold as a passenger van from the dealer?

Unless I am missing something it just seems to be a certification.

#6 ·
The last lines in your original post nailed it, Jerome. Side Airbags. As other members have stated, MB has accumulated Safety Data for the Passenger Configuration and they would not want that compromised. MB should be applauded for their safety minded approach ...but I say "Remove all the warning labels and let natural selection sort it out."

#7 ·
I have cargo rails installed.
I also have a set of seat rails and the correspondence no seat.
Those Germans in their infinite wisdom made sure that nobody could install the seat rails in place of (or portions of them welded to) the cargo rails.

A a bit frustrated ngbut given Mercedes culture and US lawyers not altogether surprising.

#10 ·
I have a slightly altered question: What is the feasibility of adding another set of seat attachment points, in the passenger version, to slightly adjust the location of one of the bench seats? Basically, moving the 2nd row bench back some inches. Disclaimer: I do not [yet] own a Metris, but I would be getting a passenger version.

#13 ·
Hi All,

Sort of a question from the other direction. Has anyone bought a passenger version and stripped it down to make it as close to the cargo version as possible? I'm coming from a first gen Transit Connect Wagon, which 90% of the time is run with a metal cargo floor for bikes. But about 4 to 6 times a year I take the metal cargo floor out and put the bench seat back in to make the van either a 3, 4, or 5 seater depending on the need for the trip. I'd like to do this with the Metris. It sounds like i need to get the passenger version from the get go. Very sad that I can't get 270 degree doors in any form of passenger Metris (transit wagon has them). I understand that it will be difficult to strip it out for a cargo'y feel with the side curtain airbags. But i'm just wondering what the floor looks like under the carpeting in the passenger van (photos if you have them). Can I add in the tie down D rings etc that the cargo version has to the passenger version etc.

Thanks in advance. Just dippin a toe into the Metris waters...

#14 ·
We don't have our Metris just yet (ordered it last month) but we intend to use the van with no seats in the back all the time. But we ordered the passenger version to get the extra windows and visibility. If you order it without the upgraded interior you don't get carpet in the back, just a rubber coating - so I'll find out the answer to your question when it arrives. As someone else here suggested I do expect that it will work better if I get a large 48" by 96" floor mat to keep things from sliding around as much.

#18 ·
There's a member here with an DIY add-in bench seat in his Metris Cargo. With the right tools and craftmanship you get it done....just need to add some under carriage support if accident safety is priority...as it should!

#20 ·
I did 3 posts in the following thread last year describing my floor track installation in a cargo. Passenger van floor may or may not look the same but I would guess it would be similar. Have built my conversion around these tracks and I'm very satisfied with the installation. The rear seat/bed and various cabinet modules attach to the tracks which make for fairly easy removal if needed yet the installation is rock solid.

http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/40...sions/5122-beginning-conversion-progress.html

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.