Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simultaneously irritated and bored by politicization of even the Super-freakin'-Bowl, I was looking at the 2020 Metris brochure and was stunned I'd missed this before. The brochure touts the engine like this: "The Metris is equipped with a 2.0L 4-cylinder turbocharged gasoline engine that produces substantial torque at low rpms. The combination of high torque and horsepower provides impressive performance throughout the operating range." Nothing new here.

The brochure then lists torque as follows:

Rated torque: 258 lb-ft @ 1,250–4,000 rpm

So this means the Metris pumps out 258 foot-pounds of torque at 1,250 rpm, if needed? That's pretty amazing to me. How does the turbo spool up so quickly? I'd love an explanation from anybody who understands the low rpm torque.

Also, does this mean I'm not lugging it when I run it at such low rpms. I never observed a single drivability issue at low rpm, but I instinctively worry about running a 2 liter at, say, 1,500 rpm under load.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Its not lugging, its designed for it. It spools quickly because its always moving to some extent, and is a small turbo, so ramping up to max boost happens very quickly. Its still a lot less torque than a same size diesel can churn out. The 2.1 liter OM651 diesel in my GLK will crank out 369lbs of torque at 1,600rpm, which is enough to break loose all 4 wheels for a moment at lower speeds and trigger traction control. On dry pavement. (4matic)

Reactions: focus805

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda figured the small turbo. I've taken to waiting until engine rpm drop below 1,000 before engaging any gear on cold start. Is it worth a cool down? I don't think I run it particularly hard, but who knows without more advanced metrics than the factory gauges provide.

Thank you.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes those are good practices. I too wait for it to idle down under 1000 before putting it into gear when cold started, and if you've been doing faster/high load driving, its good to let it idle down (if its real hot out especially) for a minute or two so the turbo can cool down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts