Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With most of the high-end heaters, inverters, solar/electrical system, custom seats, cabinets, etc. there will be a lot more to lose if something happens (accident or theft) to the van. How do you plan to insure your vehicle? Regular passenger vehicle van or camper van RV or ... ?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Speaking for myself, were I to do a conversion, I'd get stated value insurance. That's where you tell your carrier what the value of your vehicle is, in perpetuity, and they will charge you (and pay out) accordingly. If you can think up a policy, somebody will be happy to carry you, for a price. Saving money on insurance is a nutty idea, unless you don't actually want it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Under business insurance for me starting in 2018. I believe I'll have to submit some paperwork. My cargo is being transformed into mixed-use, so not a full campervan conversion.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
That’s always a viable option- just remember that statistically it’s not that expensive to insure... auto insurance is not a particularly profitable business, meaning the house take is not that high on the gamble.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Greenmanedlion- I'm not sure how much more it would cost. A do it yourself conversion van would likely be problematic to get appraised. But the company (USAA) that I have my auto, home and property insurance with does not cover motor homes so I doubt they'd deal with my converted camper van. I'm not too keen on having the Metris issued by one company and my other insurance with USAA. Its basically a hassle avoidance strategy.....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Under a BOP, as long as everything is mainly 'work related', they'll insure it. Keep those receipts and take pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts