Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can anyone inform me how to program the horn to chirp when locking with key? I know other Merc's do this and have spent time going through Settings in gauge cluster and System on Radio/Media/Nav Module. I thought I read something about this on the Forum but can not find it, my apologies if this is a redundant question.
Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
Page 187:

Activating/deactivating the acoustic locking confirmation.
Using the steering wheel buttons
Settings menu.
Vehicle.
Acoustic Lock Feedback.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I do not have the Steering Wheel Buttons............?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I never do that setting in my setting. I have the steering wheel controls. Somtimes I barely hear the horn chirp. I would hit it multiple times so I make sure I hear but like I said it's very very low.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I never do that setting in my setting. I have the steering wheel controls. Somtimes I barely hear the horn chirp. I would hit it multiple times so I make sure I hear but like I said it's very very low.
So since I got my new Metris, I have been able to change the audible lock feedback, I had this on my previous Chevy pickup, and wanted this on the Metris too, just so I know I locked it for sure..... one big problem, the horn I was expecting turns out to be a merely “chirp” if at all, I have a bit of hearing problem and is kind of a problem. Question: Is There a way to make it louder? I would assume that it is connected to the main horn... I did ask the MB service dealer, but I think they are not fully trained on this particular detail someone on this blog might have better insight into.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just went through the manual pretty closely and don't see any way to activate (or deactivate it for that matter) without steering wheel buttons. Strange that it's associated with that option.

(I have an additional horn on my Metris. I've had them on all of my work vehicles for years.)

·
Registered
525 Posts
When you get an Euro or Asian vehicle, then you really see how annoying 'American' car "doors locked" full horn blow is. I really hate the male and female A-holes who press the lock button 2,3, 4 and 10 times walking away from their vehicle.

Reactions: Tree95

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I just went through the manual pretty closely and don't see any way to activate (or deactivate it for that matter) without steering wheel buttons. Strange that it's associated with that option.

(I have an additional horn on my Metris. I've had them on all of my work vehicles for years.)
How do you work it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
When you get an Euro or Asian vehicle, then you really see how annoying 'American' car "doors locked" full horn blow is. I really hate the male and female A-holes who press the lock button 2,3, 4 and 10 times walking away from their vehicle.
I was camping last week in Yosemite with my Metris, and the folks nearby had an American brand vehicle with the loud honk on lock. Annoying as heck.

Same thing occurs at hotels when I travel.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The loud lock-confirm horn can be pretty annoying. (But can also be somewhat helpful in finding your car in a ramp by just repeatedly hitting the arm button...) My previous vehicle had an aftermarket alarm that had the ability to arm/disarm without a chirp if you pressed an additional button before hitting arm/disarm. I used it often.

My aux horn is just hooked off of the stock horn + lead and then grounded. no additional "working" needed. Hit the horn button, both horns sound. hardest part about the install is just finding a place to physically place it and that's not hard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I asked in my previous question to see if the chirp could be made louder, I meant to imply a LITTLE louder, and not like so many complained about the loud horn sound. I just feel the chirp (at least on mine) is so quiet that it is basically useless for those who have a hearing problem. Yes I agree that those who use the horn, to display there “manly hoods” are a pure annoyance, mine is just to have a positive feedback without having a 2block radius noise.

·
Registered
525 Posts
We got you Jergenyo. You just want a little 'boost' in output.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to admit that I had no idea what a K5LA was so I googled it. The idea that you could install that into the Metris was quite funny to imagine, but a serious question is has anyone actually changed out the horn and is it difficult to do. I really hate how weak it sounds and would prefer something a little stronger as far as the tone sounds. Thanks~!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I haven't changed mine, I just added one. Hardest part is finding a place to physically mount it.
It's been almost two years since I did mine but I did take the front grille off and found a pre-existing bolt to use. You might consider something like this but with two physical pieces, you've just doubled your installation issue. But maybe one of them will do just fine on it's own coupled with the current one.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/hella+twin+trumpet+horns.do?sortby=ourPicks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts