Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Metris stated beeping and shows a warning that the hood is open when I left to to work today. Numerous attempts of opening and closing the hood is not working. Restarting the vehicle does not work. Nearest dealer to me that will work on this vehicle is 2 1/2 hours away. Any ideas as to how to disconnect this warning? The noise is driving me crazy. My schedule will not allow a day to take to dealer anytime this week.

·
Registered
939 Posts
There's a microswitch in the clasp, try to see if it's damaged somehow. I've had to clip them back in place. Some reason that switch isn't being seen as closed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question

There is a module with a four wire plug going into it at the hood latch. Is the micro switch inside that module or is this a different style? Plugging and unplugging this did not fix it. The hood is secure.
We plan on taking it to a dealer when possible but with a five hour round trip drive time only to do that plus missed work for the entire day it is not a simple process to get there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We fixed it! The module that the hood latch fits into had a loose grommet bouncing around in it. Evidently this was from the manufacturing line as there has been no work under the hood in that area.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We fixed it! The module that the hood latch fits into had a loose grommet bouncing around in it. Evidently this was from the manufacturing line as there has been no work under the hood in that area.
some people like me don't speak as good English so here it is :)Did not have a clue what is a grommet :)

From uncle google:..."An eyelet is a small piece of metal that is used to reinforce a hole in a piece of fabric; usually made of brass. ... Grommets are very similar to eyelets, because they are used to reinforce a hole as well; however, grommets are typically used for more heavy duty material than eyelets."

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd rather have the possibility of a false warning about the hood being open than forgetting it when open. I've seen it happen to multiple people/vehicles.....always a bad day!

As a systems admin you should see how many false alarms/alerts I see on a daily basis! :surprise::|

·
Registered
200 Posts
Vehicles have to be made for very, very stupid people today. Drivers and passengers cannot be expected to see that their door is open or their seat belt is not on, or that they have a flat tire. And, make them tamper proof so that only a trained mechanic can bypass them because, every moron really wants to do this to avoid the warnings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
See hack on other thread: use bicycle pump with ball inflation needle to blow air into latch to try to dislodge bug carcass or other debris which may be giving false positive for open hood. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hood open error

You say that but when you know that the hood is secure and the alarm beeps every second as soon as you start to roll and never, never, never, never, turns off, you will be willing to "temporarily" bypass the alarm. Someone just give me the wiring on that stupid switch. Cars didn't have an electric gizmo to tell you the hood was not fully latched for about 80 years, now we cant live without one.

C

·
0 Posts
...Cars didn't have an electric gizmo to tell you the hood was not fully latched for about 80 years, now we cant live without one.
Some first-post fury—welcome to the forums. You said it. What’s more, the owner whom innovators intend to protect from themselves are the people who do not open their hoods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts