Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found a suitable solution for carrying cargo, ie. bike rack on the front of their Metris?

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
6 Posts
Curious as to why the front? I have been searching for a bike rack for the rear of my Metris Cargo van. I was hoping to get one that clips on one of my double "barn doors" - similar to the one used on ReconCampers for their NV200. Both Fiamma and Thule make tray style bike racks that attach to the edges of the passenger rear door but neither seem to work for the Metris.

Their is an incredible number of rear hitch racks that do things like swing away so you can still open the rear doors, adaptors so you can pull a boat and still have a 2nd receiver for a bike rack. I'm still narrowing down the choices but seems like the rear is out of wind and a more common way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious as to why the front?
My short answer to you would be "why not"? My long answer would start with the question I asked myself, "why get a metris and not just get a sprinter" Or I could ask you, why get a bike rack for the rear when there is a roof rack? It's all about options, really.

I personally have a RockyMounts swing away bike rack that I use with a double receiver hitch adapter on my Transit. Big families means lots of toys to haul...

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
6 Posts
Sounds like you are ahead of me. We just got a Metris recently and our major criteria was that it fits in our standard sized garage so that ruled out the sprinter. I have hauled my bike on the roof of my car a lot and always worried about stress from the wind (and driving it into my garage with the bike still attached to the roof :). So a rear carrier makes sense for me. I would still prefer just hanging the rack off the rear door but can't seem to make that work.

Do you recommend the RockyMounts swing away rack? Any issues with wobbles (from being connected to the trailer hitch)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had the rockymounts rack for very long but the few short trips I've taken with it have convinced me that at least the idea of the swing away design is superior to the old stationary racks. The rockymounts rack doesn't wobble at all due to the way they designed it with a ball bearing that you tighten up inside your receiver. It's a good design but it's new so nobody knows how well it will hold up over time.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I would not. Put a bike rack on the front. That works on bottom breather rear-engine vehicles, such as busses. Putting it on the front of your Metris will truly mess up the aerodynamic efficiency, kill your fuel economy, likely damage your bike at the speeds a Metris is comfortable traveling at (that’s up to the 101 mph limiter by the way), and quite likely hamper the cooling operation of the a/c condensor, radiator, transmission cooler, and intercooler. Back mounting it is the way to go, trust me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts