Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2016 Metris with 7800 miles for my family. When I get it on the highway it has a high frequency vibration. I have the original Hankooks with lots of tread left. You can start feeling it at 60, its annoying at 70, and it is too much to feel safe driving it at 80. I usually set the cruise on 78 mph here so this is a problem. I don't feel it in the steering wheel anymore than anywhere else. I can feel it in the seat, especially if I put my hand down on the seat base. I've had plenty of out of balance tires in the past, but they were a much lower frequency than this. I thought it might be a broken motor mount so I put the car in neutral about 70, but that didn't change the vibration. Ideas? Thoughts? I saw Greenmanedlion 's post about this. It sounds similar, but it didn't have any resolution posted

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
434 Posts
Tires + alignment perhaps. Poor alignment makes more road noise. You could try finding a good tire place with the high speed balancers and have them re-balanced, but it might be good to have the alignment validated since that appears to be a common problem with the vans. There have been posts about the specs being wrong and people getting new tires under warranty.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I would also guess alignment. When I got my car realigned, it’s back to its 101 mph rock steady nature, unless I am in certain wind situations.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Don't waste money on alignment yet.

Out of balance in the rear. Re-balance rear tires, look for mud on the inside of rear wheels and tires, spin rotors to diagnose warping.

Front end out of balance will shake the steering wheel in your hands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the rear tires balanced by a really good shop yesterday. They said two were .75 ounces out and two were 1 ounce out. I drove it again and no change at all. I thoroughly washed the car last weekend when it was warm and I don't see any mud anywhere. Other ideas?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It could be something really weird- an aerodynamic issue. Check under the car for any loose aerodynamic cladding, check for any misaligned trim, and climb up on the sliding door step and check the roof for significant dents. I assume you have none visible on the car itself. A total Kamm design like Metris, it is possible that an aerodynamic imbalance could cause this by creating a drag resonance.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
434 Posts
Worth checking the alignment anyway.

Do you know if the van had been in any accidents?

Maybe drive shaft balance or joint. Low miles though so I wonder about any collisions.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have usually found balance problems to occur at certain speeds, mostly around 55 mph. I agree with pounce about the driveshaft or joint. The driveshafts on most cars are installed in a certain position and if it was removed and reinstalled in the wrong position, it will vibrate. I also saw a similar high speed vibration caused by a tire with a broken belt that wasn't apparent until uneven wear occurred. There are other things that can cause this including engine or transmission so maybe follow rob's suggestion to take it to the dealer

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
The tire could be balanced but out of round (eg the broken belt thought) does the vibration move to the front if you swap front and rear tires?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Warped rotors or a bad tire.

I had a Michelin with a broken radial belt (curb strike) which balanced fine by went nutzo around 80mph. I couldn't get anyone to road test it that fast but the Michelin Rep came by my tire guy's place and did an ultrasound on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The driveshaft is bent. I pulled it out and took it to a driveshaft balance shop and they said it was way out and showed me. I guess they ran over a curb or something. Maybe they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and that's why they sold it? If that's the only problem then I still came out way ahead on it.

I found a new takeoff driveshaft on ebay for half the price of a new one and bought it. It will be here in a few days and I will install it and provide an update. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
434 Posts
The driveshaft is bent. I pulled it out and took it to a driveshaft balance shop and they said it was way out and showed me. I guess they ran over a curb or something. Maybe they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and that's why they sold it? If that's the only problem then I still came out way ahead on it.

I found a new takeoff driveshaft on ebay for half the price of a new one and bought it. It will be here in a few days and I will install it and provide an update. Hopefully this will solve the issue.
Thanks for posting back. Yes, that sure is an easy fix and something we sort of guessed as a possible cause.

Could you see an impact point anywhere on it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was the drive shaft cv joint. The metris like most mercedes has a two piece driveshaft connected by a cv joint and rubber mounts on both ends. I don't know what they hit but it was bent. The new driveshaft fixed it. Extremely easy install with the new one. $50 for the balance (which wasn't the problem) and $750 for the "new takeoff" driveshaft from ebay with shipping. It did look in good condition but I doubt it was exactly a new take off. Thanks for your help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts