Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so we can all compare notes, usage and mileage. What is the highest mileage Metris on the Forum? I cant contribute much as ours is less than 2K, but was curious as to who has the highest mileage so far on our forum?
Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Our roadside is pushing 100k...
That's awesome. One of the dealers here was selling a demo/shuttle van with 50k. Have you had to clean the valves? If so, at what interval(s)?

·
Registered
258 Posts
re: valve cleaning

I posted a link to a paper that was written about our engines (it can be found by searching for "metris engine") that, on page 17, describes it having the 3rd generation direct injection system that may address the carbon problem of initial direct injection systems.

It would be interesting to find out how it is working out.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have never cleaned valves.
Edit: ever. (C,E,S,CLA, Metris)
Double edit: that's a lie. VW Passat 8ish years ago.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here's a little article that speaks about valve deposits and Top Tier gasoline. I make it a point to only buy such gasoline.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/
Unfortunately with direct injection, the top tier gasoline doesn't reach the manifold side of the valve and therefore cannot clean it.

One doesn't hear about coked-up valves on direct injected motors as frequently these days, suggesting things have improved. Of course certain manufacturers denied it was a problem even when it was, so there's no particular reason to take them at their word now.

It would be interesting to see borescope images inside a high-mileage Metris intake.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Unfortunately with direct injection, the top tier gasoline doesn't reach the manifold side of the valve and therefore cannot clean it.
Certainly true, but it appears to have indirect benefits on valve gunk build up.

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatur...ction-and-valve-gunk-is-there-a-relationship/

Top Tier gasoline is the best gasoline for your direct-injected engine, and it’s widely available across Canada at many major fuel stations, in all fuel grades. Though it can’t fight existing valve gunk in a direct-injection engine (as it’ll never touch the intake valves), its cleaning effects throughout the fuel system work to keep the precisely calibrated direct fuel injectors, and other associated components, squeaky clean. This contributes to a more consistent and clean combustion process, which in turn, keeps valve-gunk-causing deposits at bay.

A study published in 2016 by the AAA found significant differences in extra engine deposits in non-Top Tier fuels. Put simply, use of a Top Tier fuel reduces valve gunk indirectly by keeping other important fuel system components clean.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Roadside is at 113k this morning.

I wasn't thinking when I typed that, but we do offer BG induction service. I was thinking more remove intake and manually clean valves. I know VW had like a nutshell abrasive gun to use.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Mine is likely to turn 73k shortly. Other than general Mercedes clunkiness, it drives as good as it did when I got it. I got a rattle at the rear seat (two place in third row). I think I have some liquid in the center control panel swithes, because they get stiff in the cold.

Sometimes the MapPilot takes it’s sweet time booting up. The glove box latch is slightly broken (it dangles when locked). The tail gate trim is slightly off at the bottom (I blame a body shop for that, though).

And I think there is something wrong with driver side window. It twists slightly when being put down, and if you put it down part way, it rattles. You can push it down slighlty by hand and that goes away, or put it down all the way and then raise it to where you want it and it doesn’t happen. I suspect a broken pin

All of these things will be kvetched about at my 75k service.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not bad IMHO for 73K, minor little issues. Did you have the fuel line / fumes issue? What is your manufacture date? Our is 12-2015 Thanks for the info, been very curious as I assume others are as to how these will age with high mileage. Our 04 Astro is still running great with 219K miles and we've had since new, but our lifetime repair / maintenance bills are roughly are $8-9K including 4 sets of Michelin's

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have 2 Metris in my company. Our 2017 has 30K miles and our 2016 has 89k miles. I did have the fuel line / fumes issue on the 2016, which was taken covered under warrenty. Not a problem with the 2017. My 2016 is in the shop for a misfire for 4 days now and the dealership has not been able to duplicate the problem. I have not done any repairs or PM besides the oil changes and haven't had issues until now. My 2017 transmission is starting to shift a little rough from time to time. We did have alignment issues on both but after alignment tire wear has been pretty even.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts