Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BB has developed a vibration at high speed, which I first noticed about 4 months ago. When I say high speed, I mean it is only found at speeds that are not legal in the northeast US, and would certainly get me a pretty harsh ticket if I was witnessed doing it alone. It is completely absent below 88 mph, and then rapidly gets worse until it is honestly scary at ~95 mph.

It's not really a "pressing" issue as the fastest one can go anywhere near me and not be worried about a ticket at all is 80mph on the NJ Turnpike and in Pennsylvania where various roads are flagged at 70, the slowest ticketable offense is 6 over, only with radar (which only state troopers can use). Otherwise it is 11 over, and they have to pace you (which is ridiculously easy to avoid, obviously). And state troopers don't stop you for less than 10-15 over unless you are being patently unsafe.

But obviously 88 over is not conforming with that. And yeah, let's get the vans Flux Capacitor jokes outta the way.

I had replaced my original front Hankooks with identical Hankooks at 30k due to alignment- I was the first guy on here with that kind of mileage, so I hadn't suspected anything. I replaced my rear tires with Michelin Defenders with a 97 weight index at 36k due to tire wear (spectacular loss of traction corresponded). The fronts were fine at the 45k service, but started showing uneven wear by 50k. I replaced them 5 days before my 60k service with the same Michelin Defenders (understanding it reduced my payload), putting the new tires on the rear and the old tires on the front.

I then had the car get a 4-wheel alignment at my service. I had attributed the vibration to alignment, way out of shape tires, or both. I tested it out a few weeks ago just after the work, and while I didn't take it all the way to 95, it felt ok. This morning I got buzzed by an A4 on a relatively empty turnpike going ~100 and I decided to follow him in train. it was exactly how it had been- fine until I hit 88 mph, then it started vibrating, getting pretty bad by 93... by which point, I of course backed off back down to 80.

I'm trying to figure out if I should go to the tire shop assuming they are out of balance, if an independant tire shop can balance to 101, whether I should take it to the dealer and have them balance them- I assume the dealer can balance to a higher speed- or whether I should ask them to re-align it. Also whether anyone will think an totally extralegal wobble on a passenger van is a legitimate complaint.

Advice?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would recommend that you find a shop that can do a loaded balance. Different shops call it different things, I think Les Schwab calls it "road force" for an example. Also, specify that you require a perfect or zero balance, many shops will balance to within a certain tolerance but not always to zero.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think your problem may be caused by mixing 2 different tire brands. There is a reason why there are different manufacturers- They use different ways to acheive their goals.
Why do you want Hankooks in front and Michelin's in the rear?
Bob

·
Registered
200 Posts
Always the tires. I had two Michelins on my sedan that had a broken belt inside and vibrated at high speed. Feel it in the hands its the front. Feel it in the seat its the rear. But, if you want peace of mind replace all four.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts