Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The way that the bulb holders are designed makes the installation of anything outside of standard halogens somewhat complicated.

I just went down the path of trying to install LED's in my 2016 Metris and learned a few things along the way. After a bit of reading on several LED bulbs, I decided to try out the Beamtech H7 LED bulbs due to it being fanless, reasonably priced, and several positive reviews about it when used in reflector housings. As soon as I pulled out the low beam bulb holder, it was clear that this bulb was not just going to twist in and clip up to a loose power connector (see pictures) like a headlight bulb attached in most cars. As you can see, the base has a couple of contacts that only give power to the bulb when twisted in. Beamtech saw the pictures of my bulb holder and suggested I return the bulbs as they didn't have a solution to make it work.

After some more digging online, I learned that the H7 bulb holders on the Metris are actually shared with MK7 VW Jettas and Golfs. With many more modders in the VW community, there is actually an adapter that allows for some H7 LED and (possibly) HID bulbs. The trick is that the adapter only has a narrow opening so the bulb must either be narrow to begin with, e.g braided heatsink LED bulbs, or in the case of other LED bulbs, must be able to separate the narrow portion that protrudes into the headlight housing from the fan or heatsink behind it, which I was unable to do with the Beamtech bulb. While this would definitely create some options, I wasn't totally happy with the pricing or quality of the bulbs that could make use of this adapter.

In regards to HID's, there may be a solution for our vans. In the Jetta forums there is conversation about a company called deAutoKey that makes an H7 HID kit that bolts right up to MK7 Jetta, which as mentioned before, seems to have a very similar Hella headlight housing using both H7 low beams with the twist on base, and H15 high beams. Perhaps someone here will take the plunge as I actually ended up settling on some OSRAM Cool Blue Intense bulbs for now as I’m not ready to take the plunge into HID’s. Will post once I get my new bulbs installed. Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rcrewse7 , that was very useful information and pictures. If anyone has put the HID/ LED in please share the info would really love to see how it looks and the actual full process and cost to complete it.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
295 Posts
I think the picture undersells the LED lights. It looks like the camera was on auto so the brighter road area caused the exposure to be reduced. Otherwise the building on the right would be brighter, not darker. The real clue is the streetlight which is independent of the headlights. It should look the same in both pictures. With the same exposure, everything would be much brighter.
I think there are some professional photographers out there. Your thoughts?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts