Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: I am slowly but surely readying Phantom 135 (cargo) for installation of its C.R. Laurence FW642L (FW642R still on order). I was able to remove the interior sheet metal vertical rib from the window cut out easily enough with an angle grinder, and I am going to make my main cuts with a combination of a center cut shear and a jigsaw.

Before I get to the fun of cutting the exterior sheet, I need to remove an expanded polystyrene cover from above and behind the driver's seat where the cab headliner meets the rear, and in this case connects in some manner to the EPS cover. See the pix below. EPS is the German for "fine Spanish Styrofoam."

The cover has a T-30 cap screw which I've removed, but it is connected to or under the cab headliner in some manner.

Does anybody have a clue how to remove this piece without destroying it? I tried slipping a body tool between the headliner and EPS to no avail.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
My recollection is the fore end of the foam piece is attached under a roof cross beam by two integrated tabs that will easily break off if an attempt is made to force them out. Maybe by removing the headliner a way of removal can be found but I didn't attempt it. I found that by removing the T30 bolt like you did and wedging the polystyrene cover down a bit there was clearance for a hole-saw and jigsaw blade by drilling and cutting from the outside.
I installed AMA brand windows in my cargo van last year. For the corner cut arcs I used a 3.5 “ bimetal hole saw which cut through easily. I matched the desired arc on the inside drilling 4 pilot holes. I then moved to the outside to drill with the hole saw because it was easier and the metal filings fell outside the vehicle. I drew tangent lines to each cutout and using my faithful 35 year old Bosch jig saw with 24 tpi blade cut out the panels, including center post, quickly an easily. By taking the time to cut straight I had no need to file the edge other than to remove a slight burr prior to the trim installation. I did not use a grinding wheel as sparks can damage paint surfaces if not protected. Took about 2 minutes per side using the jigsaw. Very easy. Duck taped the top of the panel so it would not fall and do damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Go to the thread called "How to remove C. R. Laurence screens " and I just posted a long answer to this problem there. I tried to cut and paste here, but, my Kindle tablet didn't cooperate. 😉

1 - 3 of 3 Posts