Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My five month old Metris, we are experiencing "no throttle" while driving, it happens about a dozen of time now, and a few dangerous moment on the highway - imagine you lost the power when all cars speeding behind you, and you have full van of kids!

There are still power steering and brakes luckily and the engine seem to be still running. But the throttle is like cut off with no response to my pedal suddenly.

After we pull over to a safe location, the transmission is locked, we cannot shift it to neutral, reverse and drive, nor park. We have to restart the car to regain the function.

So my question is, any body have this issue? My car has 15000 km or 9000 miles.

I'm feeling unsure... My last dozen of new Mercedes are all plague with problems, some unfix-able because they couldn't pull up any code... They heard and saw the problems, but no code for them to fix anything. Same as this time... they couldn't pull up any code, so with their corporate saying - its just my imagination again because when they test drive it, they couldn't experience the problem too.

In fact my previous Sprinter was an example where they couldn't fix the problem and I had to trade it in because its no longer safe to drive out (extreme lag in boost / picking up speed to highway...etc). Its not just another lemon because I had six of them and they consistently fails around 100k miles where the extended warranty ends.

I never went to dealers so much for problems with other manufacturer ?

No... We drive very maturely and on the slow side, we pampered our cars...

So WTF MERCEDES BENZ. :frown:

·
Registered
939 Posts
I suggest putting rat traps where you park your car. Take the van in, if it's like you say, there's a code. Press your dealer and tell them it's unacceptable if it's not fixed.
Let us know what the fix was. Three strikes and hit em with the lemon law.
Last 12 Benzes were "plagued with problems?" Might want to try Toyota. They're a simpler line of cars.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
If You had 12 Mercedes all of which had problems I'd call you insane.

Insane: adj. Repeating the same action repeatedly expecting different results.

Troll: n. A person on the internet telling insane stories to rile people up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

And I thought that was you... Lol

Very helpful response to the topic...

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
Feel free to give a convincing argument why you would buy 12 cars of the same brand all of which gave you significant trouble at low mileage. If you do so, I will retract my statement and publicly apologize.

I have been driving Mercedes-Benz vehicles all my driving life, and I have never had transmission issues with any of them so far, and I drive insane miles a year and drive the tar out of every vehicle I own.

I love MB products and personally credit them with the very fact that I am alive. But I assure you that I would change brands long before the number of vehicles that gave me a short service life reached 12 in a row. and that's giving 10 Mercedes that have previously given excellent service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suggest putting rat traps where you park your car. Take the van in, if it's like you say, there's a code. Press your dealer and tell them it's unacceptable if it's not fixed.
Let us know what the fix was. Three strikes and hit em with the lemon law.
Last 12 Benzes were "plagued with problems?" Might want to try Toyota. They're a simpler line of cars.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your headsup!

The dealer updated the software last Friday under warranty, but of course it did not help the issue - we were experience the same problem everyday.

Like yesterday, the car was stalled three times on the highway on our way home - not fun! Video taped this time, so I will see what they do this time. The engine light never came on, and I thought it is some computer glitch that is hard to figure. No strong hope... the new guys seem to not know-how without their computer these days... and I hate the no-code no-work policy (Even both foreman plus the SA heard / and confirmed the issue at test drive, they do nothing until the third-fourth attempt, they finally changed a brand new turbo, return hose and the exhaust manifold and viola!)... its not the same service 20-30 years ago Mercedes has.

And Canadian don't have lemon laws... and I wish mouse trap works - but possible if the car have not driven for weeks. But our winter is harsh I must say... I remember two very cold winter night... playing the air suspension - Guess what happen the next day? =) Happened to both S and SL, but each of them went to the dealer a few times just with its suspension problem, you know when somewhere start leaking, the compressor will be tossed.

So yeah... time to look out for Toyota! I hope they are problem free though...

Will update the issue once I hear back from the service department.

Thanks!

:|

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Feel free to give a convincing argument why you would buy 12 cars of the same brand all of which gave you significant trouble at low mileage. If you do so, I will retract my statement and publicly apologize.

I have been driving Mercedes-Benz vehicles all my driving life, and I have never had transmission issues with any of them so far, and I drive insane miles a year and drive the tar out of every vehicle I own.

I love MB products and personally credit them with the very fact that I am alive. But I assure you that I would change brands long before the number of vehicles that gave me a short service life reached 12 in a row. and that's giving 10 Mercedes that have previously given excellent service.
Green...

Peace! :x

I love Mercedes Benz as much as you do, and I am here to ask for help, not another heated debate for nothing :crying: I know Mercedes Benz as a mechanic, I have a good collection of vintage Mercedes and they never gave me any headaches. I'm talking about these latest Mercedes... now, the service bays are always busy. I chose to ask people here because this is a particular new model out to the market and there hasn't been much information/service experience elsewhere.

And did I said 5 out 12 are Sprinters? ( They are my work fleet and required walk-in height). And did I said they were low mileage before seeing problem? Probably is too - compared to a few of the 300SD with 300K+ we had.

Its a fact MB is not very reliable today, I hate to admit that too as a fanatic of theirs.

There are more reliable models we driven... B, C, E, ML...etc. Why do we still buy MB? Because we have hope and in love with it! Simple as that. 12 of them sounds like alot... but we are talking about a few years only for our family.

But to be fair, we had a few newer Japanese cars too and they are not entirely problem free. :smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, looks like I'm the unlucky guy again... With something entirely new.

They took transmission out last Monday because they experienced this safety issue, but failed to find anything wrong with computers.

I will not tell what's they think was wrong or changed at this stage until I have the final report. Who knows, at the beginning they try to send me home saying perhaps I fueled the car with bad quality fuel,so it caused the transmission to drop out repeatedly. Yup, that's what been happening, every time they try to send you home doing nothing.

Now the CPU should be in Germany or waiting Germany to send them a new version to cope with whatever newly reengineered they replaced. I'm one of the first few lining up because after the surgery, the transmission is still dumping out.

Otherwise, I'm happy with my brand new loaner, I don't mind to drive it for another month. So I can shut da fk up now ?

But one more item was repaired out of surprise, it's the small signal lights on both sides of front fenders. They were loosen and were part of the manufacturers defects. So if yours is loosen, go and get it fixed ??✌

I hope the Ac fan clutch kickin noise is gone too after all these , I forgotten to mention to my service adviser ?

·
Registered
28 Posts

Is that like 'shoot the messenger'? Hmmm.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, looks like I'm the unlucky guy again... With something entirely new.

They took transmission out last Monday because they experienced this safety issue, but failed to find anything wrong with computers.
Disappointing to read of such issues. Hoping this is just an isolated case, but please keep us updated on how this all turns out. I have lot of small complaints, but the big stuff seems okay after 20,000 miles.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
Is that like 'shoot the messenger'? Hmmm.
Not at all. If somebody were to say they had their tranny explode on them, or do what he is describing, or so on, I'd believe them. If they said it was the second or third car with trouble after years of good luck with the brand, I'd believe them.

But there is some point of aggravation with a German (read- not passionate or super quirky like a French or Italian car) car where you just say dyaenu and stop buying cars from that company. And the number where that happens is usually somewhat lower than 12!

I don't hold Mercedes to be the most trouble free car in the world. I put up with scores of minor problems, all of which cost an arm and a leg to get fixed, and I'm ok with it. But failure to proceed is a totally different issue. I'm not saying I don't think a Mercedes can break that way, or even that it isn't more common than it should be.

But the scenario described is preposterous.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's actually a total of 17 new vehicles with poor reliability, but keeps coming back for more. Well over half a million bucks in automobile and his dealer isn't taking care of him. :crying:

Yugos I tells ya, Yugos! :p

I had 5 Sprinters ... and like your ex-trucks, transmission dies around 60000 miles-90000 miles
Its so hard for me to call Mercedes reliable anymore these days...
I had a dozen of other new Mercedes too... no luck as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I came across this topic on google, "Loss of power metris forum."

Hate to bring this topic back up, but we are experiencing the same problem with our 2016 Metris Cargo Van. It had to be towed to a dealer in southern california last night. OP, did they find a problem?

Our van has done this exact same thing a handful of times. Some of these being very scary incidents on the freeway. We got it on video yesterday afternoon. However, no check engine lights have come on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
By no means am I comparing what happens to your van, but having 3 personal Metris and about half a dozen in the conversion shop, I have experienced this several times, on the 2 vans I drive most. Being used to my Sprinter 4 X 4 with a traditional shifter, I was very concerned that I just happen to have the "bad luck" that my vans happen to experience these issues. That was until my wife happily pointed out that I am tapping the gear selector on the Metris with my clumsy hands, I just "tapped it" with my fingers, lightly enough that I did not feel it.

Since we identified this, the issue disappeared. Again, not to trying to compare, just sharing my experience. But personally I feel it is a stupid design, being a long time Mercedes owner of various vehicles, I just cannot understand why we need these huge hard plastic cub holders, in place of a safe, out of the way, traditional gated Mercedes shifter.

Love the vans and they are part of our business, but I often shake my head and think ; " what were they thinking".

1 - 20 of 32 Posts