Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

We are the owners of a 2016 Metris Passenger model and I have found this forum to be a great mix of information and entertainment. Thank you for that. I have posted before with questions and in retrospect, having an anchor of a post like this may keep things more clear for me.

The Metris takes place as alpha dog in our pack of vehicles: a 2003 VW Eurovan Multivan, 2005 MB E320 CDI, 1987 Porshce 944 and 1985 Alfa Romeo Spider.

Our 2016 Metris 8 passenger model was selected, with all options I wanted: heating package, appearance package, package for the enhanced driver display and steering wheel controls, comfort suspension, vinyl seats, power doors, liftgate, and stock hitch. Maybe an ECO feature might be helpful, but wasn't critical so I didn't dwell on that. We didn't want White, Black, Putty, Brown. Considered in order of preference, Red, Silver, Graphite, Metallic Blue but Navy Blue was available, and in retrospect, it looks more regal with more presence, night or day. This Metris found its way to us April 2017 after I approached our nearby dealership in Appleton, Wisconsin to obtain the one I found in Iowa. They were eager to oblige since that meant easy business for them. I did the research online, and already test drove the vehicle elsewhere in Madison. I had a close idea what it would go for and shot my offer. He wanted a thousand more and we went to half of that, plus all weather floor mats. An unexpected bonus was that there was free financing for 4 years and two free services.

I concur with majority impressions of the vehicles expressed here prior to this posting and add my own.

Visibility: For as much glass as this vehicle has, the visibility is very limited, particularly anywhere just beside the van on the passenger side. I have removed the center headrest, placed the add-on widest rearview mirror and have added wide angle side mirror attachments. It works well if only I don't change the location of my head; distinct difference from all the other vehicles where just turning around and looking back shows me everything I need.

Interior: although physically larger than our Eurovan, the interior is smaller than it. The space it does have is rectangular and much more usable than Hondoyotaysler Oddysiennacaravan. Seats, however are overfirm.

Power: It has enough.

Amenities: Spartan. Excellent.

AC: loaded with 6 passengers during the summer, it takes a long while to cool the entire van, necessitating turning off the foot and windshield vents for a while. I wish we had the dual AC system. And it stinks, literally, upon startup.

Captains log, stardate*** ***:
* Mercedes Benz treats Metris as an odd duck, creating confusion whenever I contact them to discuss something

000000 miles: added Uniden LRD950 ($249) to dash and Rosary to the rearview stalk.

000001 miles: added Broadway rearview mirror, wide angle sideview mirror attachments (approx $18 total)

000500 miles: added Ebay Mudflaps ($51) and Lloyds rubber mats. Mudflaps went in perfectly and apparently there are 2 versions of this. The ones meant for van with sideskirts, van without sideskirts. Lloyds mats are terrible. They are flimsy and do not stay in place, a huge disappointment comparing to the same product in our Eurovan from 15 years ago. I bought a Persian Rug but I still need to modify by means of cutting slots and finishing them off with edge trim to prevent unraveling.

000700 miles: bought front vinyl hood protector which is a pain to attach due to means of securing in place which are straps which are tied in place. A bungee would have made more sense. POOR design: blocks the windshield washer nozzles. Bought from Recro in San Francisco, and I complained about the issue but they refused to take it back. (poorly spent $56 dollars)

001000 miles: steering was vague and outside edge of tires on fronts showed premature wear. Dealership performed gratis alignment under warrantyDEALERSHIP

007000 miles: added lighter socket adapter with two 2.1 USB outputs and three lighter sockets to accomodate GPS and three cell phones. Added 64Gb micro usb Flash module and loaded with 10 years worth of Click and Clack archives, classical music from Minnesota Public Radio daily downloads, music files of 60+minute long 256mbps mixes/remixes/mashups from 80s, 90s and current.

015,000 miles: First service A was performed without anything additional DEALERSHIP, free

017,000 miles: Two chrome Stebel horns mounted just behind bumper bar, directed downwards so as to protect from road spray yet have forward projection of noise

020,000 miles: CEL occurred. Some EGR device assocated with this engine, similar to C-class, I was told, needed to be replaced under warranty.DEALERSHIP

023,000 miles: inattentive driver clipped the rear of Metris, some scratches to rear quarter corner, cracked rear light fixture and bumper cover detached. Cost to repair was $800 out the door at MB Dealership. Largest cost item was the light fixture after labor.DEALERSHIP

025,000 miles: Chrome pieces affixed: Fog light rings ($26), Side mirrors faschia ($32), Tire valve caps ($5), Door handle fascia ($28), Rear trunklid chrome ($44), Rear lights trim ($41), rear bumper reflector trim ($16). I like the look but am waiting for the cost of the front chrome grill surround to come down, then I'm done chrome adorning.

026,000 miles: Rear-facing middle seat modification. I performed excision of aluminum plate by extending slot 45mm with a 9/16 bit and finishing off with Dremel. Kids love it so they can play games together on their handheld devices.

027,000 miles: purchased Mercedes Benz USA Extended Limited Warranty from Jeff Jackson, Tafel Motors

028,000 miles:
Wheels: obtained (really new take-off) wheels from 2007 MB ML450 18x8 ET60. My rationale is that 17" are visibly undersized for the bulk of the vehicle, 19" required such low profile tires to maintain proper wheel diameter that it would defeat the comfort shuttle intentions of the vehicle, hence 18". I opted for increasing the wheel width to theoretically allow a larger volume of air to suspend the vehicle and further the comfort. It worked as passengers are now complaining of nausea from the floaty feeling. From my readings about suspension, a wider wheel or taller wheel displaces the scrub radius of the kingpin offset (something like that) outwards (denoted as a positive value), resulting in darty steering and bump steer. Having an ET of 60, compared to stock 51 results in a negative scrub radius of -10 which resulted in a tangible increase of straight ahead tracking.
Tires: Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 103W XL ($103 on Amazon), selected due to reputation of good snow traction, low noise and excellent water dispelling properties. Aesthetically, the treads encroach on the sidewall, making it look like a mud tire. Sized 255/45r18 which is 1% of stock. The next time around, I will get 255/50r18 which is the tallest aspect which will allow the XL rating and higher load range. and I will go for an H rated tire which I believe will allow for more comfort.
TPMS: I tried VDO Redi-Sensor but would not work likely due to having a protocol too new. Costco placed Dill sensors meant for Jeep ($42), and these are more efficient than the stock ones as they register pressures more quickly.
*Our wheels are the poster child for globalization of manufacturing
- Stock MB wheels are made in Mexico
- German VDO sensor made in China
- Japanese brand tire made in Thailand
- Hong Kong plastic chrome center cap
- all put together at Costco for $15 a wheel
- I later discovered that Sam's club would do the same for $35 for Schrader TPMS mounted for $10 a wheel, but since I have trusted Costco mechanics who did not put a single scratch on the wheels, I justify the increase price over an unknown cheaper.

On the Way:
- roof rack crossbars in black
- sunglass holder to replace grab handles for front passengers
- modify Persian rug for rear passengers

Wishlist:
within the next 5,000 miles: immediate need
- dashmat to get rid of the reflections on the windshield
- tint front windows

within the next 10,000 miles:
- fabricate usb connectors to dash in order to eliminate visible wires on dash
- mount 12VDC-110VAC adapter underneath and fabricate housing for 110V outlet mounted on rear side panel to eliminate fan noise from adapter.
- fabricate housing for VDO analog clock in matching dashlight motif and mount at center dash console
- dashmat modified to accommodate radar detector and clock

within the next 30,000 miles
- Bilstein HD shocks when they become available, or anything reliable with better rebound rate.
- Eibach Pro Springs when they become available, looking for 1" lowering

whenever miles:
- winter tires on stock alloys

·
Registered
591 Posts
Great write up. Can you post some pix of the Navy Blue?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Navy Blue

Hello all,

We are the owners of a 2016 Metris Passenger model and I have found this forum to be a great mix of information and entertainment. Thank you for that. I have posted before with questions and in retrospect, having an anchor of a post like this may keep things more clear for me.

The Metris takes place as alpha dog in our pack of vehicles: a 2003 VW Eurovan Multivan, 2005 MB E320 CDI, 1987 Porshce 944 and 1985 Alfa Romeo Spider.

Our 2016 Metris 8 passenger model was selected, with all options I wanted: heating package, appearance package, package for the enhanced driver display and steering wheel controls, comfort suspension, vinyl seats, power doors, liftgate, and stock hitch. Maybe an ECO feature might be helpful, but wasn't critical so I didn't dwell on that. We didn't want White, Black, Putty, Brown. Considered in order of preference, Red, Silver, Graphite, Metallic Blue but Navy Blue was available, and in retrospect, it looks more regal with more presence, night or day. This Metris found its way to us April 2017 after I approached our nearby dealership in Appleton, Wisconsin to obtain the one I found in Iowa. They were eager to oblige since that meant easy business for them. I did the research online, and already test drove the vehicle elsewhere in Madison. I had a close idea what it would go for and shot my offer. He wanted a thousand more and we went to half of that, plus all weather floor mats. An unexpected bonus was that there was free financing for 4 years and two free services.

I concur with majority impressions of the vehicles expressed here prior to this posting and add my own.

Visibility: For as much glass as this vehicle has, the visibility is very limited, particularly anywhere just beside the van on the passenger side. I have removed the center headrest, placed the add-on widest rearview mirror and have added wide angle side mirror attachments. It works well if only I don't change the location of my head; distinct difference from all the other vehicles where just turning around and looking back shows me everything I need.

Interior: although physically larger than our Eurovan, the interior is smaller than it. The space it does have is rectangular and much more usable than Hondoyotaysler Oddysiennacaravan. Seats, however are overfirm.

Power: It has enough.

Amenities: Spartan. Excellent.

AC: loaded with 6 passengers during the summer, it takes a long while to cool the entire van, necessitating turning off the foot and windshield vents for a while. I wish we had the dual AC system. And it stinks, literally, upon startup.

Captains log, stardate*** ***:
* Mercedes Benz treats Metris as an odd duck, creating confusion whenever I contact them to discuss something

000000 miles: added Uniden LRD950 ($249) to dash and Rosary to the rearview stalk.

000001 miles: added Broadway rearview mirror, wide angle sideview mirror attachments (approx $18 total)

000500 miles: added Ebay Mudflaps ($51) and Lloyds rubber mats. Mudflaps went in perfectly and apparently there are 2 versions of this. The ones meant for van with sideskirts, van without sideskirts. Lloyds mats are terrible. They are flimsy and do not stay in place, a huge disappointment comparing to the same product in our Eurovan from 15 years ago. I bought a Persian Rug but I still need to modify by means of cutting slots and finishing them off with edge trim to prevent unraveling.

000700 miles: bought front vinyl hood protector which is a pain to attach due to means of securing in place which are straps which are tied in place. A bungee would have made more sense. POOR design: blocks the windshield washer nozzles. Bought from Recro in San Francisco, and I complained about the issue but they refused to take it back. (poorly spent $56 dollars)

001000 miles: steering was vague and outside edge of tires on fronts showed premature wear. Dealership performed gratis alignment under warrantyDEALERSHIP

007000 miles: added lighter socket adapter with two 2.1 USB outputs and three lighter sockets to accomodate GPS and three cell phones. Added 64Gb micro usb Flash module and loaded with 10 years worth of Click and Clack archives, classical music from Minnesota Public Radio daily downloads, music files of 60+minute long 256mbps mixes/remixes/mashups from 80s, 90s and current.

015,000 miles: First service A was performed without anything additional DEALERSHIP, free

017,000 miles: Two chrome Stebel horns mounted just behind bumper bar, directed downwards so as to protect from road spray yet have forward projection of noise

020,000 miles: CEL occurred. Some EGR device assocated with this engine, similar to C-class, I was told, needed to be replaced under warranty.DEALERSHIP

023,000 miles: inattentive driver clipped the rear of Metris, some scratches to rear quarter corner, cracked rear light fixture and bumper cover detached. Cost to repair was $800 out the door at MB Dealership. Largest cost item was the light fixture after labor.DEALERSHIP

025,000 miles: Chrome pieces affixed: Fog light rings ($26), Side mirrors faschia ($32), Tire valve caps ($5), Door handle fascia ($28), Rear trunklid chrome ($44), Rear lights trim ($41), rear bumper reflector trim ($16). I like the look but am waiting for the cost of the front chrome grill surround to come down, then I'm done chrome adorning.

026,000 miles: Rear-facing middle seat modification. I performed excision of aluminum plate by extending slot 45mm with a 9/16 bit and finishing off with Dremel. Kids love it so they can play games together on their handheld devices.

027,000 miles: purchased Mercedes Benz USA Extended Limited Warranty from Jeff Jackson, Tafel Motors

028,000 miles:
Wheels: obtained (really new take-off) wheels from 2007 MB ML450 18x8 ET60. My rationale is that 17" are visibly undersized for the bulk of the vehicle, 19" required such low profile tires to maintain proper wheel diameter that it would defeat the comfort shuttle intentions of the vehicle, hence 18". I opted for increasing the wheel width to theoretically allow a larger volume of air to suspend the vehicle and further the comfort. It worked as passengers are now complaining of nausea from the floaty feeling. From my readings about suspension, a wider wheel or taller wheel displaces the scrub radius of the kingpin offset (something like that) outwards (denoted as a positive value), resulting in darty steering and bump steer. Having an ET of 60, compared to stock 51 results in a negative scrub radius of -10 which resulted in a tangible increase of straight ahead tracking.
Tires: Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 103W XL ($103 on Amazon), selected due to reputation of good snow traction, low noise and excellent water dispelling properties. Aesthetically, the treads encroach on the sidewall, making it look like a mud tire. Sized 255/45r18 which is 1% of stock. The next time around, I will get 255/50r18 which is the tallest aspect which will allow the XL rating and higher load range. and I will go for an H rated tire which I believe will allow for more comfort.
TPMS: I tried VDO Redi-Sensor but would not work likely due to having a protocol too new. Costco placed Dill sensors meant for Jeep ($42), and these are more efficient than the stock ones as they register pressures more quickly.
*Our wheels are the poster child for globalization of manufacturing
- Stock MB wheels are made in Mexico
- German VDO sensor made in China
- Japanese brand tire made in Thailand
- Hong Kong plastic chrome center cap
- all put together at Costco for $15 a wheel
- I later discovered that Sam's club would do the same for $35 for Schrader TPMS mounted for $10 a wheel, but since I have trusted Costco mechanics who did not put a single scratch on the wheels, I justify the increase price over an unknown cheaper.

On the Way:
- roof rack crossbars in black
- sunglass holder to replace grab handles for front passengers
- modify Persian rug for rear passengers

Wishlist:
within the next 5,000 miles: immediate need
- dashmat to get rid of the reflections on the windshield
- tint front windows

within the next 10,000 miles:
- fabricate usb connectors to dash in order to eliminate visible wires on dash
- mount 12VDC-110VAC adapter underneath and fabricate housing for 110V outlet mounted on rear side panel to eliminate fan noise from adapter.
- fabricate housing for VDO analog clock in matching dashlight motif and mount at center dash console
- dashmat modified to accommodate radar detector and clock

within the next 30,000 miles
- Bilstein HD shocks when they become available, or anything reliable with better rebound rate.
- Eibach Pro Springs when they become available, looking for 1" lowering

whenever miles:
- winter tires on stock alloys

Pic Upload

·
Registered
45 Posts
This Metris found its way to us April 2017 after I approached our nearby dealership in Appleton, Wisconsin to obtain the one I found in Iowa.
I got my used 2016 passenger in late 2017. Funny you had to come to IA from WI and I had to go from IA to Chicago. But at that time I was having a hard time finding passenger versions with the towing options. Where in IA did you come to get yours? The dealers in IA weren't useful for finding what I wanted so have to search online to find it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IA to WI

I don't remember the name of the dealership, but I did do a nationwide search at the time. The Metris we bought was new, previous year stock and I had a list of 7 must-have items, trying to get as much as I can for as little as I can. There were plenty of vans in Chicago, but I was leery when I noticed that vans with 8000 or 10,000 miles were listed as "new". Moreover, I wanted a nearby dealership, strategy being that I would expect better service from a dealership where I purchased the vehicle which included concierge pickup at our house and free loaner. The logistics of going way out of town to get the vehicle or ship the vehicle were far more than what we spent at the dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts