Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Charlie. I’m in the San Francisco Bay area. We discovered the forum last year. My honey and I have a 2016 passenger model. We picked it up from a local Mercedes dealer. It was a demo with 8K on it driven by a “Mercedes Executive” supposedly. It has many options, the price seemed very fair, and they were willing to deal. We really enjoyed the car and hoped to use it to tour the wilderness highways of the West. That dream is on hold. Our Metris has 14K on it now. In the last 10 weeks it has spent nearly a third of that time at the dealer.
It is back for its fourth visit with the same or very similar major mystery problem. Sad but true. Its never fun when a service advisor suggests your beloved car is cursed. I laid out the whole mournful tale in a previous post but it disappeared. I thought I should take it slow this time.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hello, Welcome! And know the executives drive S class, not mini Sprinters.
I really like your idea of touring with it. It's one of the reasons I bought mine.

What is your problem? If you can make it to Atlanta, it WILL get fixed there.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Welcome to the forum Charlie. Yikes, there have been very few posts of "major mystery problems" on the Metris. I hope they get it sorted out for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There have been four seemingly related incidents in last eight months. In September the vehicle experienced nearly the same situation as another forum member's Metris. The car started but would not shift out of park. Several warnings were also displayed. None of the steering wheel controls would work. The wipers or horn would not work. We sent it off to the Dealer. They got back to us with the same diagnosis as the other member’s: steering control module. It had to come from Germany, so it would be several days before completion. Part installed, all seemed well. This happened at 10K. The other three incidents were somewhat different than the first, in that they happened while driving. These events were all in the last ten weeks and at low speed, under 20 mph. Its hard to say which symptom happens first but it seems like the power steering stops functioning. Followed instantaneously by nearly every warning light flashing: ABS, check engine light, airbag, skid control, tire pressure, etc… The speedometer, tach, fuel and temp gauges turning off and on. These warnings being displayed: Do Not Shift Gears Visit Dealer, Power Steering Malfunction, followed by every driving assist system reported inoperative. The reason I can recount all this is that I had the presence of mind to pull out an iphone to preserve the moment. I unfortunately now have many of these short dash videos. Each time I was able to drive it the few miles home. After parking I shut it off and restarted it to find it might shift or would not shift. We sent it back to Mercedes on a flatbed each time. After the second incident they felt it was an improper instrument cluster software update. We got it back. It worked fine for a few hundred miles. With the third it was diagnosed as a shorting wire harness on the drivers side. This time it has been at the dealers for the last two weeks and they feel its a problem in an engine wire harness. It has 14K on it now. We really love the car. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any advice?

·
Registered
81 Posts
We really love the car. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Any advice?
Several years ago we had intermittent electrical warnings and strange activity in a new 335i BMW. Not anything like you're experiencing but unrelated functions worked intermittently or not at all. The dealer discovered that a mouse had chewed into a remote wiring harness crossing and shorting a few wires. At least thats what they told me. I lived rural at the time so found the explanation plausible. The good news, the problem was resolved and never returned. The bad news, mice damage is not covered by warranty. Only recourse was to reprimand the cat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the Lemon Law information. We will check it out. It had started to cross our minds that it might be a possibility and that we had better start educating ourselves. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got our Metris back yesterday after what we hope was a restorative two week visit to the dealer. Our fingers are crossed. I read that "third time's a charm" may jokingly be extended to fourth, fifth or higher numbers if success is not achieved on the third try. This was number four, so I don't feel like I'm being unfair when I say it seemed like they were lost in the weeds. I do appreciate their methodical approach and realize that this is an unusually rare problem made even more difficult by the fact that it disappears and won't replicate. But I hope it isn't an omen when I noticed this morning that the driver side kick panel hadn't been buttoned up and was hanging open. I am including the service order details for the curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
Fuhh
You need to realize how heavy that repair was. That's some deep digging!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
That documentation is what gets that tech paid. I write novels for all my repairs. Include all the time!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Total respect to the technician that performed this repair. I should have been more specific. I was speaking more about the lack of familiarity with the Metris I experienced from some folks there that interact with the public at the dealership. For example, after asking if the abundant dust/residue the front brakes seemed to be creating was normal it was explained to me that its a common reality in all front wheel drive vehicles. And its not like i'm an insensitive d**k that doesn't understand the pressures and complexities of being on the other side of the counter, I've been there too, Though it was simpler times and technology, I co-owned an independent German auto repair shop we opened in the early 1970's in NY. Thru the decades of challenges and headaches I'v grown compassionate toward service folks as long as I sense they are trying and being straight with me. These guys did their job and i'm appreciative. Two cases of beer!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are two videos of the instrument cluster in full freakout mode for curiosity's sake. The first from incident #2 was shot pre-dawn and is out of focus but demonstrates the problem well. The second from incident #4 is short but sweet. The first video was at 20-25 mph, the second at around 10 mph in heavy urban stop and go traffic.

https://vimeo.com/271346898

https://vimeo.com/271355268

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here are two videos of the instrument cluster in full freakout mode for curiosity's sake. The first from incident #2 was shot pre-dawn and is out of focus but demonstrates the problem well. The second from incident #4 is short but sweet. The first video was at 20-25 mph, the second at around 10 mph in heavy urban stop and go traffic.

https://vimeo.com/271346898

https://vimeo.com/271355268
Who says Germans don't have a sense of humor. A factory tech in Stuttgart is probably still chuckling over this one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts