Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably sit more "upright" than most do, but I found that I couldn't handle the headrest at all and had to remove it to drive. It just leans too far forward. I would prefer to have it in for safety sake. In my grand caravan it's not quite as bad but I still ended up putting the headrest in backwards which gives me at least a little protection from a hard collision. But this Metris has the divider wall and I can't even put the rest in backwards! And if I could it would severely limit the ability to lean the seat back (which I occasionally do).
Anyone have this issue?

I don't want to look like this...

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
An alternative is too look on eBay (or order from the dealer) a back row headrest. They fit in the front seats. My wife finds the “comfort” headrest uncomfortable (she is very short and doesn’t really even need a headrest) and I prefer it so I swapped it with the one in the passengers second row seat (I prefer the comfort head rest and often use that seat as an office chair).

That headrest does not project forward at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is a button that adjust the headrest forward/ backward movement. Maybe it is all the way forward?
Metrisguy, I am trying to locate the button that you are writing about, does all Metrises have this buton? I can't locate one and I would like to change the position also. It's really bothering me that I can't rest my head back, ... I see I could take the headrest out, or turn it or get one from other car, this is the first time, that I have a problem with headrest.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Metrisguy, I am trying to locate the button that you are writing about, does all Metrises have this buton? I can't locate one and I would like to change the position also. It's really bothering me that I can't rest my head back, ... I see I could take the headrest out, or turn it or get one from other car, this is the first time, that I have a problem with headrest.
https://www.metrisforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15478&stc=1&d=1544214502

I hope this works from ipad. Photo of my passenger headrest. Driver side is the same. 2016 Metris cargo van

(Stupid f'ing Apple. Rotate the fing photo after taking it rather than adding a meta tag that it's upside down and count on everything else in the universe to do the work)

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is the button. Both my 16, and 18 have the upgraded seats. Maybe that adjustment is only on the comfort seats?

·
Registered
196 Posts
https://www.metrisforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15478&stc=1&d=1544214502

I hope this works from ipad. Photo of my passenger headrest. Driver side is the same. 2016 Metris cargo van

(Stupid f'ing Apple. Rotate the fing photo after taking it rather than adding a meta tag that it's upside down and count on everything else in the universe to do the work)

thank you guys, I guess I can't have everything for $26,000 new :) but it surely would help on long trips :) I will look for those in the after market google bin :) it's a pity that everything about Metris is new no junkyard as for Volkswagen :) no parts to have for cheap :-( no building your own like dune-buggy :) for everything every part you must have a vin number,
for everything else you can have your Master Card :)
BTW tree95 I can always turn my monitor :) it's big help to see how it looks like.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fiddled with the button for awhile but it didn't seem to do anything. Just looking at the slots in the bottom, even if I could figure out how to lock it in the most back position, it still looks like it would be too far forward for my comfort. But I'll attempt it again. This really makes me want to see photos of the German engineers with this headrest. Of course, my head is shaped like Alien so that kind of explains why this doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I must have the comfort seats as mine has a button. If it is any comfort to you chemdly, as far as my normal sitting position goes, the button adjusts the headrest from too far forward to way too far forward. My solution was tipping the seat back a little bit more than I would prefer as the more it slants back, the more one naturally moves your head forward.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I must have the comfort seats as mine has a button. If it is any comfort to you chemdly, as far as my normal sitting position goes, the button adjusts the headrest from too far forward to way too far forward. My solution was tipping the seat back a little bit more than I would prefer as the more it slants back, the more one naturally moves your head forward.
it reminds me times when CJ 5 (jeep) was sold only with driver seat, passenger seat, spare tire was extra, radio was a luxury idem, no tools just jack.
So now you must have comfort seats but the comfort is relative:) I know headrest is there to prevent a whiplash but this one is very uncomfortable :-(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tcp, thank you. It is indeed comforting to know that you are not comfortable. ;) Seriously though, it does seem to confirm that I'm not an outlier. And I agree about the tilt back. It seems to be designed for that kind recline. I just find it surprising that the Europeans drive like that.

Green,
If you find the headrest comfortable then I'm guessing that you do as tcp and you tilt your seat pretty far back. Can you try setting your seat to the full upright position and report back? I usually drive with the seat just a little back from full upright. If it's a long trip I will move it around a bit but that's my preferred starting point.

There are 2 other annoyances and one that I'm not sure about yet:
1) More angle settings for the armrest. Again, when I set the seat upright, I find the armrest at it's highest position tilts a little further forward than I would like. It almost seems like they designed the seats for teenage boys. That's probably a stereotype. But really, can't we sit with a healthy posture?
2) When driving with cruise control I often put my feet back from the pedals. The seat slide adjust lever sticks forward on the right side and pokes my right calf. If it was 2-3 inches shorter I think it would still be accessible but wouldn't be obtrusive. I might fix that one myself;)
3) I think it would be good if the lumbar support could go higher into the seat back. I know that probably means that it would no longer be a 'lumbar' support but I think I would like to have that option.

But past these issues, I find the seats to be pretty comfortable. Certainly more adjustable than the Grand Caravan seats I've been primarily using for the past 15 years.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I sit nearly bolt upright, and actually position the headrest several notches forward; I think you will find that people come on a variety of shapes and sizes.

I also tend to use the cruise control and I actually position my seat with sitting with my feet flat on the floor in mind. I suggest ratcheting the seat up a bit.

My experience of the seat, as I said, is based on 90k miles. I also prefer a headrest that I can lean my head back against, btw.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So your seat back is set as far forward as it will go?

You're right that different folks got different spokes. I should be more generous and less mouthy on the internet. Thank you for your contributions to this forum!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just came across this article. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...at-the-top-of-car-seat-problems/#117a57f71002
It seems that the NHTSA made some new specifications in 2009 that require the distance between head and head restraint to be smaller. My guess is that they looked at the average seat angle and head distance for Americans and set the distance from that. Unfortunately that messed it up for a large number of people.

Anyone know of a third party head restraint for the Mercedes? I'm tempted to bend the existing one but concerned about crimping the tubular uprights.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
They angle forward a bit when installed on a rear seat, but the anchor for the headrest on the front seats is farther rearward, so the problem is much less.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts