Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the China made for about a year now. so far it work very well in term of light output from the led and no condensation in the housing. I also really like how the light light up the corner when i put on the blinker. this is plug ane play and no need to be coded by dealership. I do recommend it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Where did you get them?

·
Super Moderator
645 Posts
I have the China made for about a year now. so far it work very well in term of light output from the led and no condensation in the housing. I also really like how the light light up the corner when i put on the blinker. this is plug ane play and no need to be coded by dealership. I do recommend it.
View attachment 17687
Looking to convert mine. I know others have asked, but can you point me in the direction of what seller you got them from? Definitely want to purchase from seller who a member has been satisfied with.

Reactions: river

·
Registered
63 Posts
View attachment 17687
Link from where you bought the lights please?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
AliExpress is mostly Chinese crap.
That's pretty much what the old boys said about my Datsun 510 before they were looking up my tailpipe running canyons (before that was a thing) or autocrossing. Live and learn.

The real crime of the emerging industrialized countries is the pollution we've managed to offshore to the third world to support our vulgar American consumption (my own included). Aw heck, what's a little irreversible climate disaster between friends?

But I do agree that Ali headlights are a very likely downgrade over OEM parts. I've been working through my van's house electrical setup -- long story short, I've become very grateful for Amazon's return policy. Virtually everything I've bought (not labelled Ancor or Blue Sea Systems) has been [email protected] unworthy of Metris.

Reactions: river

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The Chinese are eminently capable of producing quality merchandise. In fact they do so; quite a few Chinese products are excellent; check out Sea-Gull brand wristwatches, or Duke and Hero brand fountain pens.

However, the Chinese ALSO produce goods designed to be as cheap as possible, up to and including being of inadequate quality to qualify as fit for purpose. These such products are rampant on AliExpress, Amazon, and other places; some of them are counterfeit, and that is hard to avoid; others are mushroom brands you’ve never heard of before and will likely never hear of again. They are often even dangerous.

If you want to knowingly buy “Chinese crap“ (which is what I referenced above), it is my opinion You have a lapse in judgement. If you want to avoid it, either buy from a respected manufacturers website, or buy products that have a brand that has demonstrably been around for at least a year with a decent reputation, and from a vendor who has been selling that item or ones like it with a good reputation for a substantial period of time.

Made In China does not mean there is something wrong with the product; however there are products that are made in China- and elsewhere- that there is nothing right about. Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Doesn't make it less true.
The race to the bottom hurts us all.,

And yes, most of my stuff is Blue Sea...
I get it. I didn't like the racial reference to the product source. I don't care about being PC, it's just the kind of short-sighted and dumb comment that got American industry in trouble in the '70s. The fact is that globalization means global competition, and competition results in better everything most of the time. In my Silicon Valley days, we embraced diversity because it made us money by building a more perceptive, stronger organization.

Instead of protecting the herd from foreign competition with, say, a 25% chicken tax applied to light trucks, we should be developing as many multinational trading partnerships as we can. Security is built upon mutual dependency (and superior firepower).

Another way to say it is, the best way to keep someone from attacking you is to make them need you.

The problem comes when leaders use disinformation to deny their citizens' free will and choice. This upsets the normal economic laws on competition. So LBJ offering Ho Chi Minh a TVA for the Mekong Delta isn't what I mean, nor do I think we can free trade our way around Kim Jong-Un because HE is the state, and the people have no sight, ears or voice.

But, as GML and I point out, there are many high quality products sourced in Asia. Ranking quality by race is like measuring the output of toasters in metric tons -- totally irrelevant to the goal of producing more and better toasters.

BTW mohammad, please excuse my tone. I am sure you are a righteous dude or dudette or whatever, and I truly mean nothing personal to you. Saying "cheap Chinese" is not a racial slur in my book as it is often factual. It's just unnecessary and a distraction to what we should be looking for. And when I've got something to say sir, I'm going to say it now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dude really?.. I didn't say Oriental products (clearly an antiquated reference) or Asian (too broad) and Chinese was a specific reference to a country.
And Cheap Chinese meant exactly what is said.
The context was clear and I find it unbelievable that anyone could not see that.

BTW, do you know where the products you purchase come from? Your shirts, shoes, tools, light switches in your house? I do.
for 20 years I have been trying to stay away from products made in China (less racist?) for reasons of Quality, Global Pollution, Human rights and to support US manufacturing) and I can say without a doubt that the majority of products that come form China are not up to the quality of products made in other countries.

That's it. Buying stuff from AliExpress is the cheapest of the cheap 98% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,120 Posts
AliExpress is mostly Chinese crap.
Please try to support merchants selling stuff not from China.
Sorry, what is political about these posts exactly? I personall;y think that this discussion is quite civil and dont exactly understand what terms anyone is violating?
So, in the very first post the OP says they have a made in China headlight that has been working well. I post that I have seen them on Aliexpress. Perhaps you didn't bother to fully understand the context before posting. You started the problem.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sorry, what is political about these posts exactly? I personall;y think that this discussion is quite civil and dont exactly understand what terms anyone is violating?
I agree. Let's call it a spirited exchange. Heck, I apologized in advance to Mo, and his reply is fair AFAIAC. But I will avoid environmental or intentionally provocative "political" rants in the future, to the extent we have one. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah. Pounce seems to have a different opinion. But that is the great thing about America. Everyone can have (and hopefully share) their differing opinions.
I've worked in American manufacturing for the last 20+ years and in the global supply chain for the last 5 or 6. I fail to understand why a discussion about quality coud be viewed as remotely political in the context which were discussing.

Oh well. Private Board, private rules. But I would point out, this is a Mercedes Discussion group, not a Kingstar one.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
295 Posts
I concur. I would also call it a spirited exchange, but these days, some people are quick to pull the "Report Post" trigger if a certain post pushes their buttons. A few of those is all it takes, apparently, to be banned here.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This is indeed an affinity group!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts