Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my headlights burnt out yesterday, and I’m looking to see what kind of bulb to buy to replace it. It’s just the main headlight bulb (possibly called low beam lights?), but does anyone know what kind the stock bulb is and if places like OReilly or Auto Zone would carry a similar bulb to replace it?

I still need to go actually take the bulb out, and maybe I can figure out the type from there, but I thought I’d ask anyways.. thanks!

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
First of all that Amazon light fits sprinters, but it does NOT say it fits Metris vans. No reason to think it would, either.

Secondly, I would avoid buying ANY item on Amazon in general, but especially something that does not come from a widely known and respectable brand name. Doubly so something like a car headlight, which can, for instance, fail by burning.

Thirdly, I am not a fan of LED lights, especially in cars. They give the impression of brightness, and often provide a higher specific lumen output, but unless they come with a substantial omnidirectional defuser, like some home light bulb replacements, they do not actually increase the coverage of apparent light (I.e. help you see better as a headlight should). They do however, with their brighter specific output, blind and dazzle other drivers.

LED light bulbs of that type are actually illegal for that reason. Do not confuse an aftermarket LED light ‘upgrade’ with a factory designed, properly defused, reflected for the specific model, LED headlamp. Your headlamp is designed and reflected to work with an H7 halogen light. It is not designed for a random aftermarket LED designed by some fly by night China Factory that won’t be in business next week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the info.. They only had Sylvania at the O'Reilly I went to, so I just grabbed the cheapest single bulb I could find. Going to look into something better for a more long term solution later, I'll definitely check out David Stern and see what he's pointed out. And good heads up about the amazon LEDs. I'm not really into the whole LED look, but still good to have some insight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Performance H7 LED Headlight Conversion for Volkswagen Passat Golf GTI Tiguan
by LASFIT
I cant add the amazon link

bright, pnp, work great

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
336 Posts
Any thoughts on longevity of the standard H7 low beams? I've replaced 6 or 7 in the last couple of years and always carry spares now. Fortunately easy to do, but not at 4:30am -10C last Sunday morning with the wheel well full of frozen slush. (980km drive that day) So I just put on the fog lamps to be seen better. If there's a suitable LED substitute (which should last much longer) I'd probably be interested. I hate driving with one light - you never know when the other one is going to go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don’t think that is normal. I’ve only had my van for a couple of years, but I have not had to replace any bulbs so far. I might consider looking for a culprit. Is it on one side more than the other, worn wires, bad contacts, relays? That seems like an inordinate amount.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
336 Posts
LED bulbs cannot replicate a filament. They are not a suitable replacement for an H7.
Personally I agree with firemancjr in that it sounds like replacing that many bulbs means there is an issue. Does the Metris run the H7 as a dlr in Canada?
Yes, they run full time. That's probably the problem. but I prefer that than not being seen.
I can't find any reference to it, but I recall reading that when Greyhound buses started using their headlights full time, their accident rate immediately dropped something like 40%, presumably from cars not pulling out in front or making lefts in front of them. I'm so used to them now that when I see a car without headlights I initially think it's not moving. Maybe that's a bad thing on my part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Metris is a couple months shy of being 3 years old. My first headlight went out at a little over 100,000 miles. I put in 2 as I figured the one that didn't burn out would need replacing soon. I bought some at a parts store that were brighter. Problem is that they only lasted a few months. I had the dealer put new ones in, then this fall I just had them put another set in figuring they would go out on some dark rainy night. The OEM bulbs last me about 100,000 miles. I have 204,000 now and it just keeps running and running. Hardly any problems whatsoever. I love it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Performance H7 LED Headlight Conversion for Volkswagen Passat Golf GTI Tiguan
by LASFIT
I cant add the amazon link

bright, pnp, work great
They work really good. I bought them for my old Metris
First of all that Amazon light fits sprinters, but it does NOT say it fits Metris vans. No reason to think it would, either.

Secondly, I would avoid buying ANY item on Amazon in general, but especially something that does not come from a widely known and respectable brand name. Doubly so something like a car headlight, which can, for instance, fail by burning.

Thirdly, I am not a fan of LED lights, especially in cars. They give the impression of brightness, and often provide a higher specific lumen output, but unless they come with a substantial omnidirectional defuser, like some home light bulb replacements, they do not actually increase the coverage of apparent light (I.e. help you see better as a headlight should). They do however, with their brighter specific output, blind and dazzle other drivers.

LED light bulbs of that type are actually illegal for that reason. Do not confuse an aftermarket LED light ‘upgrade’ with a factory designed, properly defused, reflected for the specific model, LED headlamp. Your headlamp is designed and reflected to work with an H7 halogen light. It is not designed for a random aftermarket LED designed by some fly by night China Factory that won’t be in business next week.
And the last I bought them 10 months ago and they a perfect fit for my Metris. And if you don't like the staff make in China go look around your house 70% of the household is Chinese. I don't know how you going to live with out the Chinese staff what you use every day.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I can assure you almost nothing in my house is made in China except my Apple products. Electronics wise the next newest stuff is my television, which is American made, Sylvania, 1986. Most of my clothing, shoes, whatever, is Russian in origin, or Mexican. Don’t presume what’s in other peoples houses, mein fruend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
  1. You better start reading those labels where the staff is made or you are one of those people which will never admit they have anything from China

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I do read the labels. I dislike Chinese made goods, as they are usually not only low quality, but overpriced for what they are. Purchasing similar categories of products from former Soviet block countries usually results in a much higher quality product for the dollar spent, and I seek such products rather carefully. Taking inventory of what I am currently wearing, my shirt was made in Pakistan, my overalls in Mexico, my undershirt and briefs in India, one of my wristwatches in Switzerland. My hat was made in the United States. My socks, boots, and the other wristwatch are all made in Russia- the first to in Ekaterinburg, Sverdlovsk, Russia, the watch in Chistopol, Tatarstan, Russia.

so yes, I do actually know.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts