Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the icons (side lamps, parking lamps, auto and low beam) around the light switch illuminate? Only the rotary knob icons illuminates on my 2017. Dealer say they don't as "you" are supposed to keep it on "Auto". So I guess you are just supposed to memorize the other positions in the dark? Doesn't sound like Teutonic thinking...but then again. The dealer has steered me wrong on a couple things in my 3 days of ownership so I'm looking for some feedback from those in-the-know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I don’t recall. However, there really are only two positions you need to remember- on and Auto. In on, the lights are on when the van is on, in auto they are on when the light conditions are deemed too low or the wipers are on substantially. The only positions that have lights on with the car off are the parking positions (to the left) and the driving lights (one click to the right). Center is auto.

A quick way to turn your lights on without settling them to on is to turn on your rear fog light (it’s the button to the left of the switch, or the lower of the pair if you have front fogs)- it turns the rest of the system on and resets on restart- most situations where you want this, a rear fog is likely advisable anyway.

Thinking into the past, none of my cars had an illuminated indicator. But the knob is so intuitive, I never even though about it. Prior to the Metris I had an ML (stalk light switch), and prior to that they all had rotary witches with a pull out fog function.

You turned to the left for the left and right Euro-style parking lights, one click to the right for American style parking lights (they call them driving lights in europe) and a second click to the right for low beams. Front fogs were turned on by pulling the knob out one detent. Rear fogs were turned on by pulling a second detent which illuminated a bulb in the switch (no indicator for front fogs active). Turning off the lights automatically released both sets of fogs into the off position. Brights we’re controlled the way they are now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again GML...I'll have to try the rear fog light trick.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't know that switching the rear fog light on turns on the head lights too. I've only used it once so far. I really like that the fog lights reset each time too. I'm amazed by how many people run around with theirs on 100% of the time. But I also don't can't understand why in 2018 every car doesn't come with auto headlights standard. It's a huge safety feature and would prevent a ton of idiots from driving at dusk/dark with their lights off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts