Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get past the kind of tired head unit in the van, but the speakers (at least in the cargo Metris I have) are garbage. Has anyone left the head unit and replaced the speakers/amp? If so, can you direct me to what you bought, where you put them, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think it's not too bad for a cargo van, just need more bass. Have you tried adjusting the treble and bass up on the head unit? Also, I find the crappiness of the sound has a lot to do with the recording of the songs you are listening to. They're not all created equal. But, a sub would help. IMO

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also think that the standard speakers are fine. I have added an Alpine sub woofer in the cavity beneath the passenger seat (in our version the battery is located under the driver's seat, not sure what your US set up is) and the sound is excellent. I changed the head unit because the MB sat nav didn't give speed limit or speed camera / red light camera warnings.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I also think that the standard speakers are fine. I have added an Alpine sub woofer in the cavity beneath the passenger seat (in our version the battery is located under the driver's seat, not sure what your US set up is) and the sound is excellent. I changed the head unit because the MB sat nav didn't give speed limit or speed camera / red light camera warnings.
What did you use for the head unit?

·
Registered
51 Posts
What did you use for the head unit?
Zenec Z-E4626 which is made specifically for Mercedes Benz Vito/Metris and Sprinter. It's an 8" screen, so it's bigger than the standard screen, and has about 80% button integration with the steering wheel buttons. Also has the option for HDMI input via an optional module. Still learning it's capabilities after a month. Very happy with it. All specs are available under my Garage listing.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The Zenec does not seem to be US compatible. At least in the northeast, we don't have the kind of prevalance of camera based enforcement systems. Red Light and speed cameras are illegal in NJ, outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, PA is practically lawless. Red light cameras are used in the cities, but running lights there is stupid anyway.

My nav unit does have speed limits although they are often inaccurate. The most annoying is the PA turnpike. The limit was recently raised to 70, and in PA 10 over is basically legal (only state cops can tag you for less than that, and they don't) so I had to program in 13 mph of leeway just to not have it harangue me for going the de facto legal limit of 80.

·
Registered
40 Posts
TripleTreat77 -

1) It's awesome you have the vito with the euro spec LED headlights. I am jealous!
2) Your van looks awesome
3) The Zenec units, I believe, are not available in the US. Has anyone else on the forums installed one of these head units in the US?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a setup from cartoys including a subwoofer that worked with the existing head unit. It is one of the subwoofers for small spaces, I had it put behind the locking aftermarket storage between the seats. I think it sounds a lot better than factory, the factory setup was tinny to my ears and I'm not listening to a lot of hiphop or anything with lots of bass. I got a set of alpines.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Red Light and speed cameras are illegal in NJ, outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, PA is practically lawless. Red light cameras are used in the cities, but running lights there is stupid anyway.
Off topic, but I'm curious if there is someplace where running red lights is not stupid? The only place where it might seem logical to me is out in the desert while your wife is in the car, in labor and you have looked both ways 4 or 5 times. :surprise:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
That would depend on your definition of running red lights. There are no circumstances where driving through a light that was red before you got there, and you had a reasonable chance of stopping and not getting rear ended, is not stupid.

Left turns through lights that turned red after you entered the intersections are standard procedure around here; running a light that turns red after entering an intersection is not stupid unless there is a cop or red light camera present. Running a red light because you have an apparently drunk or deranged driver on your rear end and you don’t think they’ll stop either isn’t stupid. Running a very early red because you miscalculated the slipperiness of the road and would slide halfway through before stopping is not the stupid choice, although finding yourself in that situation is a result of being stupid.

Sometimes under certain circumstances, both internal to your car, and external to your car, the correct choice can be both illegal and normally stupid. A distinct amount of road problems occur because people make the wrong choice because they can’t get their head around that concept. *shrugs*

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got a setup from cartoys including a subwoofer that worked with the existing head unit. It is one of the subwoofers for small spaces, I had it put behind the locking aftermarket storage between the seats. I think it sounds a lot better than factory, the factory setup was tinny to my ears and I'm not listening to a lot of hiphop or anything with lots of bass. I got a set of alpines.
Sorry to get off track but what kicking between the seat storage do you have?

·
Registered
86 Posts
That would depend on your definition of running red lights. There are no circumstances where driving through a light that was red before you got there, and you had a reasonable chance of stopping and not getting rear ended, is not stupid.
This is the definition of "running a red light" that I am thinking of.
Left turns through lights that turned red after you entered the intersections are standard procedure around here;
Same here in Chicagoland. But in California I've found it's not the case.
running a light that turns red after entering an intersection is not stupid unless there is a cop or red light camera present.
As far as I've understood the laws, this is not illegal. You entered before it was red. You must get your vehicle out of the intersection.
Sometimes under certain circumstances, both internal to your car, and external to your car, the correct choice can be both illegal and normally stupid. A distinct amount of road problems occur because people make the wrong choice because they can’t get their head around that concept. *shrugs*
I'm looking forward to the robot overlords doing all the driving. They don't have to get their heads around anything. If someone dies for a mistake we just hang the programmer.

Thank you for clearing that up.

On the topic of head units, I'm still trying to find one that will support the trailer mode and steerable guide lines for the rear camera. If anyone has info about this, please speak up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts