Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of the passenger Metris, (more like a school bus)!
I noticed the head lights are pretty low, may be 150-200 ft, at 45 mph on a dark section of the road, you can't see too far. I took it back to the dealer, they said they checked it and it was up to factory spec and did nothing.

Does anyone else found this an issue? I might have to knock on the MBUSA door!

Also found interesting that the daytime driving light is the partial powered(dimmed) high beam. And if I turn on the fog light(during daylight hours), the high beam dimmed even more.

Any upgrade to a brighter lights?

Brian

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just took delivery of the passenger Metris, (more like a school bus)!
I noticed the head lights are pretty low, may be 150-200 ft, at 45 mph on a dark section of the road, you can't see too far. I took it back to the dealer, they said they checked it and it was up to factory spec and did nothing.

Does anyone else found this an issue? I might have to knock on the MBUSA door!

Also found interesting that the daytime driving light is the partial powered(dimmed) high beam. And if I turn on the fog light(during daylight hours), the high beam dimmed even more.

Any upgrade to a brighter lights?

Brian
I did a research last year a bought this Philips Extreme H7 HVB2 at Pep Boys. You might find a better price somewhere else. This bulb is about 20% brighter than the one came with the van: from 1,034 lm to 1,251 lm at 2 feet from my digital light meter. And 20% up is noticeable to human eyes.

Still looking for a brighter bulb, if someone found it please post.

·
Registered
181 Posts
OP, take a tool and turn the aiming adjusters up a bit. You can raise them slightly and solve your problem easily.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So if you install a higher watt bulb as opposed to stock, would that cause any long term issues? Lets say stock watts are 35 and you go to 55 bulbs. Enough to heat to make a wire hotter, but thats it? I'm sure going to a 90 watt wouldn't be a good idea and could cause damage?

These brighter bulbs also burn out quicker and you'll have to replace them in pairs as halogen degrades.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nope because are glare free.
But, I changed again and I got the right HID 5k and those are glare free. Actually that is way to do it!
Where did you buy them? I may consider upgrading to LED bulbs, but I think the bigger issue is lack of projector-type lenses that can provide a sharp cutoff and thus extend the useful range without blinding oncoming traffic. I think the V-class has them.

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
The V-class has an adaptive radar based lamp that blocks out light to any oncoming car, specifically not illuminating that point, thus not blinding the car and also making it more obvious to you (the dark blob in your vision) at the same time.

I do not believe this system is US legal.

·
Registered
299 Posts
But, I changed again and I got the right HID 5k and those are glare free. Actually that is way to do it!
Where did you buy them? I may consider upgrading to LED bulbs, but I think the bigger issue is lack of projector-type lenses that can provide a sharp cutoff and thus extend the useful range without blinding oncoming traffic. I think the V-class has them.
And where did you mount the ballasts for your LED & HID?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts