Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the 2018 LWB 135" Cargo Van will meet my needs. I talked with one of my local dealers and they are claiming that LWB Cargo Vans are being held at "port" and if I order one it is going to take 5 to 8 months for it to be released.

Has anyone here received their LWB van yet?

Thanks,
--
Rex

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm expecting mine in late March / early April. Although I ordered it a few months ago, my dealer told me last week that they just started production on the longer wheel base vans, so I'd be surprised if there are a lot of them being held at a port somewhere (unless his info was wrong, which is possible). Did they tell you whether it was the US port or the European port?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I talked with one of my local dealers and they are claiming that LWB Cargo Vans are being held at "port" and if I order one it is going to take 5 to 8 months for it to be released.
Any time a dealer says something like this, it's just a lie because they want to sell you something else.

If the dealer's lips are moving, he's lying. It's **** unfortunate, but it's true.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think the 2018 LWB 135" Cargo Van will meet my needs. I talked with one of my local dealers and they are claiming that LWB Cargo Vans are being held at "port" and if I order one it is going to take 5 to 8 months for it to be released.

I call BS. For one the Vitos and V classes have been produced in Compact, Long (Current Metris) and extra Long versions from the begining. They were simply not intended to be Metris. For two things just don't get held at ports for 5 to 8 months, it's economically non sense. RoketVan's dealer is full of it. And just wants to sell something on their lot or pipeline.

my dealer told me last week that they just started production on the longer wheel base vans,
Mike91's may be referring to the Metris LWB version which make sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I thought it might BS, especially when he used the word "port".

I am going to use the van to haul my motocrossers and while the extra space is not mandatory, it would be nice. As Mike mentioned, I would have ordered a base Sprinter if it could fit in my garage. My garage is about 4 inches too short.

--
Rex

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks everyone. I thought it might BS, especially when he used the word "port".

I am going to use the van to haul my motocrossers and while the extra space is not mandatory, it would be nice. As Mike mentioned, I would have ordered a base Sprinter if it could fit in my garage. My garage is about 4 inches too short.

--
Rex
I went back and forth about going with the longer wheelbase, but decided go with the 126. My van was built 1/5, but don't have a delivery date yet. I'm going to haul my enduro and trials bikes. I have a Sprinter 4 cylinder/7spd 144 high roof work van, that has done double duty as my dirt bike hauler. It is set up as a mobile shop, but I can still get 2 bikes in. I considered buying a standard roof Sprinter for a second van, but had the V6/5spd in my '08 Sprinter and said never again, and that's all you can get in a Sprinter now.

I got to drive a Metris as a loaner, when the Sprinter was in for repairs and liked it. I hauled my trials bike with it and decided it would be nice to have a smaller van, as opposed to another Sprinter. The extra 9 inches of the 135 would be nice, but I decided to spend it on other options (Left side slider door) instead, to keep it on budget.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just to shed some light on this topic, and because not 'all dealers are lying when their lips are moving,' the LWB Metris cargo vans have indeed been held at the VPC for quite some time. The certification for emissions had not been received until recently. I currently have a 2018 LWB black cargo at the VPC that arrived there on 12/28 and has been on hold since. We were informed only within the past week that the certification letter had been received and that the vans will begin shipping.

The bigger issue is why a new emission certification had to be gotten for a 2018 LWB cargo van when I've received 3 2018 passenger vans already and they are utilizing the same engine and drivetrain. That's not a MB thing, but a US EPA thing. Just know that sometimes you may be told something and just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's not true. I agree that many dealers could, and should, do a better job of educating themselves and staying abreast of what's going on in order to know their product, but the fact of the matter is that the LWB Metris cargo vans were arriving at the port and being held. The same thing happened when the 2017 Sprinter began arriving stateside: they were all held until emission certifications were received. The 4-cylinder cert didn't come, so those vans were shipped back to do who-knows-what with.

Side note: EU has a shorter WB (Citan) that there are 'discussions' about the possibility to bring it to the states, but nothing decided yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Probably easier to bring in the Compact variant of the Vito/Metris, than get the Citan through DOT and EPA approval. A Metris Worker Compact priced lower, than the standard Metris Worker might be a nice option for some commercial buyers considering Pro Master City and Transit Connect. Too bad USA and EU regs can't be same, so more vehicles could be sold in the US.

Hard to think about what they did with the '17 Sprinter 4cyl models. Says right in their Data Cards.... Not for sale in EU

·
Registered
72 Posts
They maybe winded up in Mexico
Probably Mexico or South America? Passenger vans are simple.... complete vehicles, just load them up and send them off. US spec cargo vans are knocked down in two separate crates, that don't get reunited and reassembled until the reach SC plant. They would have to be shipped somewhere capable of the final reassembly.:surprise:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My special order long wheelbase is said to have left South Carolina Friday and should arrive at my dealership on Monday I’ve been told, I’ll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, i leased an LWB 135 from a dealer early last month. Pebble Grey, which is nothing close to grey. More of a cream colour. I didn't think grey pebbles in Germany look that much different than grey pebbles in North America.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I am back in the depths of not believing nothing, so to speak. I got a VIN, but now in "transit" with zero updates. Not on a boat.

I ordered January 5, 2018. I sure don't see how they expect to make much on these vans.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts