Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all

Has anyone had a pop-top conversion that they are happy with? If so, would you be willing to discuss it with me either via phone or private message?

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have a conversion that we definitely like. It is set up like a VW Eurovan Weekender. It was done by TouRig in Golden Colorado on a 2017 Metris cargo van. We would be willing to talk to you about it. You can see photos that were taken the day we picked it up: Metris upfit. Private message me if you want to talk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Peace Van for us and we love it. Go to Instagram @go_fargo_together to see a few pics and DM me if you like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello to all

Has anyone had a pop-top conversion that they are happy with? If so, would you be willing to discuss it with me either via phone or private message?
Hello -
TouRig in Golden, CO. Very pleased. Popup top, swivel seats, lift, trailer hitch and roof rack rails on 2016 Metris passenger van. See photo. Find us on IG @metrisvanlife
Send us a PM if you'd like more info.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Transport

·
Registered
3 Posts
We picked up a used 2017 Sportsmobile conversion in March and so far are very happy. We had been saving for the Peace Vans modern conversion (and think the world of those folks), but for $40k with 20k miles it didn't make sense to buy it new. The lower bed seems unnecessarily complicated, but works fine once setup and very comfortable. 2 burner stove is nice and fridge is solid. I've used it daily as my remote office during COVID and has been a lifesaver sitting in a park or pretty place instead of my bedroom. Overall think that the metris is a pretty solid base for a campervan. Better if they added AWD and better ground clearance. Can't wait to tour with it.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello -
TouRig in Golden, CO. Very pleased. Popup top, swivel seats, lift, trailer hitch and roof rack rails on 2016 Metris passenger van. See photo. Find us on IG @metrisvanlife
Send us a PM if you'd like more info. View attachment 17771
Hello -
What type of swinging bike rack is that on the back. We are looking to get one, but haven't decided on which one yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a conversion that we definitely like. It is set up like a VW Eurovan Weekender. It was done by TouRig in Golden Colorado on a 2017 Metris cargo van. We would be willing to talk to you about it. You can see photos that were taken the day we picked it up: Metris upfit. Private message me if you want to talk.
I love your pictures. Did you consider between Metris and Toyota Sienna as optional bases for conversion? How often do you have to send Metris back for maintenance? My former MBZ ML430, gave me great joy for driving, but also headaches and anxiety when warning lights turned on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello -
Great! I wonder how often do you send Metris to dealer for maintenance? Did you consider Toyota Sienna as an option? I am struggling between the two choices. Thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love your pictures. Did you consider between Metris and Toyota Sienna as optional bases for conversion? How often do you have to send Metris back for maintenance? My former MBZ ML430, gave me great joy for driving, but also headaches and anxiety when warning lights turned on.
All I can say is that our 2017 Metris with about 24,000 miles has been extremely reliable. We have only done the standard service and have had no extraordinary maintenance needs. To me, for a camper conversion, there is no comparison between a Metris and a Sienna. I would choose a Metris every time.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,438 Posts
Hard to get one installed these days. My appointment is booked in July(ish).

If you have the money and don't have a van there is inventory of the MB Getaway at dealers. Be smart with pricing as some of they have them listed for 10k or more over sticker for some reason. Others have them for sticker and thereabouts. This would be the best way to get a van with a top without having to wait. Enjoy the spring and summer!

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Great! I wonder how often do you send Metris to dealer for maintenance? Did you consider Toyota Sienna as an option? I am struggling between the two choices. Thank you.
The Sienna is about ten inches shorter in height then the Metris, and also has a substantially higher interior floor due to its folding seats; I actually find the interior headroom in the seated second row inadequate for my long torso. If you are looking to do a camper conversion on a smallish footprint That isn‘t more than 8 feet tall, you have the Metris, the Ram Promaster smallest size offering (not the City), and the low roof, short wheelbase Ford Transit (Not the connect). If you want garageable, the Metris is really the only option unless you have an oversized garage.

Minivans (Such as the Sienna) are designed to be a Swiss Army Knife for families. Swiss Army Knives can manage a vast number of tool functions in a single package, but they aren’t excellent at any individual task of them because of the compromises required to make them so multifunctional. You can quickly convert one from being a seven or eight passenger van (albeit relatively small in the second and third rows compared to a Metris) into something that can carry a lot of cargo (albeit not as well as a de-seated empty Metris Or a stow-n-go FCA minivan).

The Metris has a similar length and width footprint to American market minivans, but is really a rather different beast. It is taller, boxier, and much more cab-forward giving it about 60% more ultimate interior volume than a Dodge Grand Caravan. Unlike the Sienna, which has a lot of goo-gaws that take up space- and a floor pan molded to accomodate them- a Metris is basically an empty box (with some interior panels and heavy theoretically removable seats bolted in on passenger models) With a fully flat floor, very upright sides, and the ability to be semi-permanently tailored to do one specific task very well. That is also true of its larger competitors (Transit, Promaster, Sprinter and to some extent Express/Savannah and NV2500/3500) and largely true of its smaller competitors (Transit Connect and ProMaster City).

when you compare a Metris to a Sienna, you are truly comparing apples to bananas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We picked up a used 2017 Sportsmobile conversion in March and so far are very happy. We had been saving for the Peace Vans modern conversion (and think the world of those folks), but for $40k with 20k miles it didn't make sense to buy it new. The lower bed seems unnecessarily complicated, but works fine once setup and very comfortable. 2 burner stove is nice and fridge is solid. I've used it daily as my remote office during COVID and has been a lifesaver sitting in a park or pretty place instead of my bedroom. Overall think that the metris is a pretty solid base for a campervan. Better if they added AWD and better ground clearance. Can't wait to tour with it.

Hope that helps!
Mind if I ask where you found your used conversion? I've been trying to keep an eye out but not seeing any pop-tops for under $80k right now... :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2019 cargo with 135in wb and GTRV weekender package. We are really happy with the van (mpg, handling, seat comfort, ac and heat... however my reference is the 1983 air cooled vw westfalia we had) and the camper package (pop top, swivel seats, no kitchen or cabinets but really big lower bed). As said before this is the highest interior height van we could find that still fits in a standard garage with a pop top (a requirement for us). Two Metris considerations: It is rear wheel drive and built on a frame so ground clearance is low.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
565 Posts
In my research the Metris is the biggest, longest and tallest van, that fits in a residential garage. The 50+ “ of interior cargo room ( floor to ceiling ) are a head above what regular minivans offer in the 36” range.

Ground clearance I have not found to be an issue at all. There are other vans out there with a fixed “beam” between the rear wheels … which absolutely horrifies me … and my Metris has yet to scrape ( two knocks on wood ) on any driveway, ramp, slight hillsides ( unlike my Chrysler Town and Country and Dodge Gran Caravan with aftermarket hitch ) or try to set my lawn on fire ( Dodge Grand Caravan )

The rear wheel drive can rear its head. I have had a couple spin moments in snowy and icy conditions on a small unpaved / foresty incline near my garden shed and on another property where it did not like to leave where I parked, and while making a three point turn with rear wheels off pavement in unpacked soil. So, be mindful of where the rear wheels go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts