Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not actually driven a Metris. Are owners happy with the side view mirrors ? I like the fact Metris doesn't have Dumbo mirrors. In city driving the big mirrors on my 2500 make seeing pedestrians on turns a nightmare.

I’d like 2 screens with permanent rear view on one and side views on the other regardless

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Folks complained about the flat glass 2016 mirrors. The convex mirrors on my 2018 are fine, but I have side windows on my 135 cargo. I find blind spot monitoring annoying to the point of being useless because it is basically always on in SoCal freeway driving. I wouldn't want it, though I'd like the Distronic.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,120 Posts
I'd like 2 screens with permanent rear view on one and side views on the other regardless
Did you order the digital mirror? Not sure if they are delivering yet.

I think people are conditioned to use side mirror views. One of the reasons some brands designed their future side cameras with screens at the pillars.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,002 Posts
For my liking, the mirrors are not wide enough. Within days I added a pair of horizontal no blind spot mirrors ( not the round disc type). Super highly recommended. I would not want to drive without them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I ordered. How does the digital mirror work? Is it always on rear view ?

Could you post a link to the blind spot mirrors mentioned above ? Are they stick on? I don’t want to add width or height to existing mirrors as I find small mirrors are better for navigating turns in pedestrian heavy urban areas.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,002 Posts
Not the most descriptive photos, just ran outside and it's raining, plus just showing garden space ...

Automotive side-view mirror Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Plant Motor vehicle

They're this product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V5YH5T/

I installed them differently than most people, figuring I don't need to see the sky, the little mirrors are a bit protected under the top rim of the mirrors, and this looked the cleanest in terms of positioning to me ... and leaves the lower part of the mirror unobstructed for parking & maneuvering. They do have a small pivot point for some adjustability.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
420 Posts
Have not actually driven a Metris. Are owners happy with the side view mirrors ?
Lots of thoughts on this and some solutions. Just search "mirror". I put a mirror inside to cover the blind spot.
Mirror Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

"D" shows a car that can't be seen in the normal mirror or out the window. It's attached to a plug that fits in the cup holder. $8.99 at CTC (plus some fiddling to mount).

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
The right side mirror on my Metris cargo van makes objects look further away than they are. I have to keep this in mind when I want to change lanes so I don't "cut" someone off.

The left side mirror is just a mirror. Despite the compliant regarding the right side mirror I find the mirrors ok. I have not felt the need to attempt to improve upon them.

My cargo van has no inside rear view mirror. The back doors are solid steel. I sort of think I would like to have a full time rear view camera set up but have not done any investigation to see what this would involve.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,002 Posts
The official route for permanent rear view camera would involve a camera at / above the third brake light and some type of display, whether a digital standalone screen or a rear view mirror with display built-in. There are some options. May have to import from UK or China, if it is not on Ebay.

I have been experimenting with a $5 camera clipped to the rear glass and line to a multifunction android display ( that unfortunately creates digital FM noise ... grrrr ) to keep an eye the utility trailer in tow. I have a small cheap display on order that has two inputs. Just have to wait for it arrive. More expensive options for more cameras as seen on RVs, trucks, etc exist that can have 4 live simultaneous inputs all on screen.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
420 Posts
I have a 9" monitor sitting on the dash (just plugs into the cigarette lighter) and 3 cameras (it will support 4). One is on the back of my cargo trailer, powered from the clearance/tail lights, and two on our 30' Lions Hillbilly Float (one on the back and one on the front monitoring the stage).
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Bicycle

Funny story. I was going to use my Ford E350 van to take it to to Poplar Hill Picnic last week (hundreds of kids there) to auction off some bikes for the food bank, but one of the other members had it full of food for the BBQ so I used the Metris. He was quite surprised when the view from the float suddenly appeared on the monitor as I arrived from the other side of the park. I never got closer than ~100 ft so the reception must be good... Two more parades this weekend.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have a 9" monitor sitting on the dash (just plugs into the cigarette lighter) and 3 cameras (it will support 4). One is on the back of my cargo trailer, powered from the clearance/tail lights, and two on our 30' Lions Hillbilly Float (one on the back and one on the front monitoring the stage).
View attachment 21412
Funny story. I was going to use my Ford E350 van to take it to to Poplar Hill Picnic last week (hundreds of kids there) to auction off some bikes for the food bank, but one of the other members had it full of food for the BBQ so I used the Metris. He was quite surprised when the view from the float suddenly appeared on the monitor as I arrived from the other side of the park. I never got closer than ~100 ft so the reception must be good... Two more parades this weekend.
Thank you for your charitable spirit. The Lions do great work, as do local food banks.

Reactions: Walstib

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,120 Posts
The hardware for that is cheap. You can assemble it off amazon. The only thing there of value is the Sprinter caps, but they wont fit the Metris.

On Aliexpress you can find lower mirror housings that will fit W447 with camera and puddle light mounts locations. These are generally meant for 360 camera setups, but you can get the 180 degree cameras to fit them that point side and back. I'd personally wait until you get a van and drive it a bit before committing to anything. I'd wager you would get used to it after a while. I totally get the geek factor though. I'm geared up to do 360 birdseye camera system, but haven't found the time to install. It's just a pain to do cable routing. I might farm it out.

Purple is camera. Yellow is puddle light. If you want to get fancy you can get the laser puddle lights with logos or custom film units and project your own image on the ground.

Synthetic rubber Violet Font Bicycle part Automotive design

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
@pounce -- do you have a URL for those housings? Thanks. I'm thinking that might be the best way to install the Rydeen side view cameras I've been sitting on.

Reactions: brow

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have not actually driven a Metris. Are owners happy with the side view mirrors ? I like the fact Metris doesn't have Dumbo mirrors. In city driving the big mirrors on my 2500 make seeing pedestrians on turns a nightmare.

I’d like 2 screens with permanent rear view on one and side views on the other regardless
They work fine for me in my 2021 Metris.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2017 Cargo. Came with stock rear windows and I had a window installed in the passenger slider door. With stock mirrors, blind spot warning, rear windows,+rear view mirror and new slider window, I am happy with my fields of vision.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts