Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a ride out to GTRV on Friday to drop off a deposit on a poptop for our van. Mike has 7-8 vans mid conversion right now, thought yall might like a couple photos. More detailed photos of the inside here: http://www.gtrv.com/photos?mercedes-metris

Our plan is to start with the top and work towards a weekender type set-up. Everything he is working on now is a full camper set-up with a sink and stove. I'm also a pretty big fan of these: http://slidepods.co.uk/ thinking about building my own at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got the quote for the full Westy conversion from GTRV. It is $30K installed. (It takes a few weeks to install and not really something an amateur can do) They seem really professional. It’s more than I hoped but all the conversions are up there. I communicated with Colorado camper van as well (Based in Colorado) but they have not developed a top yet. Hope to have something by the end of the year. I am actually just looking for the top as we had 3 VW Vanagon campers in our family (2 full and one weekender). We all liked the Weekender best and found it the most practical.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the quote for the full Westy conversion from GTRV. It is $30K installed. (It takes a few weeks to install and not really something an amateur can do) They seem really professional. It’s more than I hoped but all the conversions are up there. I communicated with Colorado camper van as well (Based in Colorado) but they have not developed a top yet. Hope to have something by the end of the year. I am actually just looking for the top as we had 3 VW Vanagon campers in our family (2 full and one weekender). We all liked the Weekender best and found it the most practical.
We are getting top only for now, $8k installed. They are using the Reimo top which is super nice looking. Its nice having them so close so we can chip away at the conversion. Four days to install the top only.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We are getting top only for now, $8k installed. They are using the Reimo top which is super nice looking. Its nice having them so close so we can chip away at the conversion. Four days to install the top only.
Can I ask you if your van is the cargo version? Do you have pics of your van?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was hoping you could give us an update to your pop top installation. Did you have GTRV do it or someone else? Any details would be great as to who did it and where they got the top from. Any pictures would be great too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
What did the $8K include. Do you have the passenger or cargo van?

Thanks in advance for your reply!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I've been researching GTRV I live in the eastern part of the states . Are you comfortable with the quality of the work that you've seen of cabinet installs etc. in generally speaking of good fits not rattle trap installs. I am seriously thinking of flying out next spring to check them out. Is your Metris a cargo or passenger version. I have already decided I'll do a Metris since I've owned VW Vanagon campers in the past . Sincerely Chuck V.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Gang,
Sorry I haven't been online in... basically forever.

Update:
GTRV, last I heard, was moving away from importing tops and working on their own (like they actually mold the thing in house). As a result the wait for their top was going to be much longer than I wanted to wait... so I got on the waitlist at Sportsmobile and they took a sawzall to our van last week.

Happy to answer any questions. $9500, wait was about 4 months, not sure what it looks like now. They also do a full conversion that is pretty nice. Check out Terracamper for more info, they partnered with Sportsmobile on the project: www.terracamper.us

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello bikecharlie. I'm talking with sportsmobile about their poptop. Any feedback you can provide on how the top has performed for you since having it installed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
How is your Metris and Sportsmobile pop top treating you by now? How was your overall experience dealing with Sportsmobile? I'm considering going the same route and would value your input/suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I just recently had the top conversion done by Sportsmobile West. It took about 5 days and it looks great. They do charge extra for the painting the top to match, I think it was around $900 or they can leave it white fiberglass. Which is what I did, we are planning on painting the van at some point, hopefully not in the very distant future.
I have 2017 cargo van, which is pretty much an empty shell. They did the top and two windows for me. The finish on both is great. My only complaint would be where the headliner attaches to the pillars at the driver and passenger sides, it’s all misaligned now - it doesn’t bug me, but I could see how it might be annoying for some people. They did tell me that that the misaligned headliner pieces was not as much of an issue on the passenger vans.
Overall it went well and is working fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts