Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a Metris. My biggest problem is what the website states the ground clearance is. It says 3.8 inches. This surely cannot be true. A dealer I am seeing this next Saturday, he says it is 4 inches and that is what luxury vehicles are. I do not consider this a luxury vehicle. It is a work van. What have you - people who own them - feel about the ground clearance? I am going to be using this vehicle to take my dogs on trips to trials. If it is really this low, I will need to look around at something higher off the ground.

Thank you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The ground clearance is slightly different between the cargo and the passage Metris. I believe the 4 inch clearance is near the front of the van, around the tire area. Everywhere else, it is at least 6 inch.

One Dealer told me just to go slow when parking in a field at a dog show. I would watch big dips though. Overall ground clearance is more than my Mazda MPV minivan was.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I couldn't find my post but my passenger at the lowest points next to the inside front tires is higher than the CD jewels case around 4.5".

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The ground clearance is 3.8" when fully laden, at the rear, to a pair of rubber doohickeys. Ground clearance to anything vital is quite a bit higher, the lowest vital component I notice is the trailing arms for the rear suspension, and those are at least 4.5". Your main risk, really, is high centering. It is not an SUV, and it has an 126" wheelbase. For comparison, a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood (the big RWD one they built limos on) is 121", the Lincoln Town Car is 117", the LWB Town Car L is 123.7", the pre-downsizing (i.e. 1979) Town Car is 127, and the pre-downsizing Cadillac Sedan De Ville (that absolutely ginormous boat) is 130". Modern comparisons, the wheelbase on the Metris is in between the Tahoe (116) and Suburban (130)- closer to the Suburban than the Tahoe, and Expedition (122) and Expedition L (131).

I wouldn't go off roading with it, but I have driven it on a lot of unpaved roads, and never had an issue. I have taken my pax model loaded with (densely packed in factory cases) clothes into the field at a few flea markets and had no issue with it there, either. I mean, if you don't actually need an SUV, I think you're fine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We converted our Metris for camping and as a result have driven it in the boonies a fair bit and never had any problems with it bottoming out. While we didn't off road, some of the gravel and dirt roads we went required navigating around potholes. Attached are a few photos just for your amusement (it is a beautiful world out there).

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just put a 225/65/17 BFG All Terrain on a factory wheel, possibly a bit to tall, def doesn't fit in the stock spare tire slot underneath. Going to try a 235/60/17 Cooper AT (slightly less aggressive side transition) tonight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My van got plowed in from the recent east coast snow storm. As a result of trying to drive my way out of some uneven snow/ice I guess I bottomed out on the skid shield and the mounting screw tabs were damaged. Eventually gave out doing 70 down the hwy and I heard loud grinding noise. The whole front half of the skid shield broke free and dropped down to the ground. Duct tape it back up as was in my way. I take a better look this weekend and see if I can't make repair. Ice replaced a couple of these on my Silverado for 30 buck's . I can't imagine I'll get off that easy on the Benz.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have 2 spacer's installed at each wheel, lifted the van about 3/4 inch, lost a little down travel with the compression of the springs. It is what it is, hopefully they will bring the 4 wheel drive version to the states.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Seattle MB feels that 2019 will be when they bring the all wheel drive version to the US, but only in a high end version. ��

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just put a 225/65/17 BFG All Terrain on a factory wheel, possibly a bit to tall, def doesn't fit in the stock spare tire slot underneath. Going to try a 235/60/17 Cooper AT (slightly less aggressive side transition) tonight.
How did the 235/60/17 Cooper AT fit? Any rubbing? I'm desperately looking for a good All Terrain tire to fit my 2017 Metris. Any info is much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts