Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally took delivery of the Navy MMCA3G 135 WB van yesterday. First impressions? I LOVE THE METRIS! It is utilitarian in the best of ways. Having driven it and minimally inspected it, here's what I learned that is different than what has been said here or what I have surmised from this board:

1. I don't have BLIS or any other non-standard driver assistance tech, but the passenger rear view mirror is convex (the outer edge tilts away from the driver) and provides an ample side view. Maybe I hold off on the Rydeen side cams?

2. The vehicle is LOUD at highway speeds. I understand why they don't waste any money on the Radio 15. Looks like Dynamat or Noico and Thinsulate at 30 paces.

3. The van has those Mercedes-Benz plastic bag stuffers at the bottom of the interior side walls and has a greasy overspray at the very bottom too. The bags are not randomly stuffed in, but instead look very carefully placed in a long cylindrical run front to rear in the van.

4. I got the 270 barn doors with dark tinted glass and wiper/washers and interior rear view mirror. I can see quite well out the rear. I opted to avoid the tailgate because, practically speaking, it can't be opened except full height and in the am that often results in flushing out any warm air with cold, damp campground air. I can open one side of the barn doors or even open one just a crack for access without freezing out my roomie.

5. I kinda like the eco start stop, but I really like being able to turn it off. It feels weird on this heavy a vehicle. I'll make up for my waste of dino-goo by driving gently and within the posted limits as I always do. "This ain't no Prius, this ain't no Civic, this ain't no foolin' around!" (apologies to David Byrne)

6. The rear heating ductwork (between the front seats) is too flexible for me to trust stepping on it as I traverse to the rear. Going to need some kind of box or plate to take the load. As others have said, the lower storage tray is definitely in the way when you try to go to the rear. Mine's also barely screwed on, so I'll have to check. I just can't live without the tray to toss random possessions I like to have at hand while driving.

7. I had to switch insurance companies because it is a commercial vehicle.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where you registered? It’s not a commercial vehicle unless you use it commercially in most states.
California. I had a major fight with the dealer over this and gave up. I think I can switch it back pretty easily with the addition of some "house car" items.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I love the barn doors' ease of use. Only problem is the 2016 doesn't have enough power to pump the washer fluid onto the glass. Did they fix that?

I agree about stepping on that heater duct. I got sick of stuff sliding backwards from that area under acceleration and built a plywood center console. It has four sliding latches that insert into the holes in the sides of the seat bases to keep it in place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had issues with financing the passenger version because it’s considered a commercial vehicle. Had to use a different financial institution than we’ve used for our past vehicles. But, we wound up with a better rate, so it turned out okay. Insurance wasn’t an issue. I’m in CA, also.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the barn doors' ease of use. Only problem is the 2016 doesn't have enough power to pump the washer fluid onto the glass. Did they fix that?

I agree about stepping on that heater duct. I got sick of stuff sliding backwards from that area under acceleration and built a plywood center console. It has four sliding latches that insert into the holes in the sides of the seat bases to keep it in place.
I'd love to see a picture if you care to share -- thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had issues with financing the passenger version because it’s considered a commercial vehicle. Had to use a different financial institution than we’ve used for our past vehicles. But, we wound up with a better rate, so it turned out okay. Insurance wasn’t an issue. I’m in CA, also.
The MB dealer kept arguing that my credit union would renege on the Metris financing because it is a commercial vehicle. Their scare worked to the extent that I let them run a hard credit inquiry and finance me at their posted-incentive rate. The credit union had no problem at all financing the van, so I took their cheaper financing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nobody said anything about my passenger van being a commercial vehicle. I was approved for financing through both my credit union and the dealer. I got a passenger registration with passenger California license plates.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I signed an affidavit declaring our Metris 135 cargo van would not be used to haul passengers or cargo. No commercial plates here in CA. Also signed declaration not to export to Russia ?????
What can you haul?

Reactions: flacaproductions

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
This is just what Russia needs; A gas version of a diesel van. The Gaz Sobol Is a fine product I don’t think Russia is going to be greatly benefited by the occasional import of a gas powered Mercedes.

G

·
I had the same problem with my credit union. They reneged a week later saying that they did not finance commercial vehicles, but when I educated them that it was a Metris passenger minivan and not a Sprinter Metris, as had been expressed on the bill of sale, the main branch investigated the Metris and added it to their database of vehicles acceptable for loans. I had no problem with insurance.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I dun get it, I registered and insured a cargo Econoline 250 as a non commercial vehicle without word one being said.

Then I used it to serve flea markets. (This is illegal, but I’m past the statute of limitations so whatever)

In this country, or at least in New Jersey, your vehicle is what you say it is. Unless they catch you in clear violation, in which case you get an (expensive) ticket.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I dun get it, I registered and insured a cargo Econoline 250 as a non commercial vehicle without word one being said.

Then I used it to serve flea markets. (This is illegal, but I’m past the statute of limitations so whatever)

In this country, or at least in New Jersey, your vehicle is what you say it is. Unless they catch you in clear violation, in which case you get an (expensive) ticket.
It is getting trickier as time goes on.

The econoline was sold as both a private and commercial vehicle.

At least here (N CA), MB sells the Metris through their commercial sales team. I was at an RV show a few weeks ago and talked to the sprinter / metris salesman for a while. He told me that MB does it this way to avoid cannibalizing sales of their higher end "station wagon / suv" products. It also explains why you cannot buy one with leather seats.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I don’t think there is much risk of that. It might cannibalize CLA/GLA sales, or maybe a C-class (Truth be told had the Metris not been available, I would have been dithering between a stripped C300, a used E250 Bluetec, or a Sprinter 2500 144 Crewvan) but if you have the money for a ML/GL, the Metris is not what you are looking for. It is not a luxury vehicle in the slightest.

When I fell in love with Mercedes-Benz vehicles, the cars that I fell in love with were not luxury cars. They were vinyl-interiored, crank windowed, spartan things that were comfortable in that Germanic way, and built to survive Armageddon. I moved up in luxuries with the rest of their passenger car line, but I stuck to a W124 as long as I could, and I found almost all of the “luxuries” in my ML350 more annoying than anything else.

Leather wears out pretty fast and retains scents like nobodies business, flimsy wood veneers crack, soft touch plastics tear, and chrome trim reflects sunlight. The one luxury I like (my W124 actually had them) is heated seats... and the Metris gets that. To me the Metris is a return to form of all the things I loved about Mercedes-Benz products (minus a bit of the bank vault body work of the older cars- although still very solid by today’s standards) without paying for all of the luxuries I never really wanted to begin with. Not saying I hate luxury; I just didn’t like having to pay to buy and maintain expensive materials and gee-whiz electronics I have no affinity for.

However, I understand luxury vehicles, I know what the people who buy them are looking for, and the Metris is none of those things.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It seems odd to me that some credit unions aren't allowing commercial vehicles, I financed and purchased my Metris through Redwood Credit Union's Auto Services, the subject never came up. It's a commercial vehicle, insurance is commercial (which was passed along to RCU without issue). Our company does all of our banking with RCU as well.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,295 Posts
Banking is complex. There are endless choices for small banks when it comes to how they handle loans and really any of their products. It's likely that for some credit unions their 3rd party loan service is restricted to non commercial vehicles. In other words the company that owns loans doesn't want to ever own a cargo van or a dump truck when the loan defaults.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It seems odd to me that some credit unions aren't allowing commercial vehicles, I financed and purchased my Metris through Redwood Credit Union's Auto Services, the subject never came up. It's a commercial vehicle, insurance is commercial (which was passed along to RCU without issue). Our company does all of our banking with RCU as well.
I have a personal account at a local credit union, but interestingly it does not allow for commercial accounts of any kind.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Banking is complex. There are endless choices for small banks when it comes to how they handle loans and really any of their products.
Perhaps this is part of the reason that usury is a sin? 0:)

I had an issue with a credit union financing my Metris. Initially I contacted them about a passenger model and all was well. Once I sent the VIN and bill of sale for the cargo model that I actually wanted to buy they told me I had to finance it with a commercial loan at a higher rate. I ended up rooting through the couch cushions and financed it alternatively.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts