Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 2016 Metris from Detroit and drove it 1200 miles back to Tampa. I found the sticker today and it appears to have many options.
I’m going to use this for my dental equipment repair business.
So far I Love it. It’s has a broken center air vent and crack in the instrument glass. Also it’s missing 3 headrests.
Drove like a champ all the way home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same Metris except for the power sliding doors. I bought mine about 3 months ago in the Denver area. When I was taking it for a test drive I noticed that the same front vent assembly was broken. Must be a bad batch. I made them fix it before I signed any paperwork. I was lucky to find one with low miles, I drove it off the lot with 27,050 on the odometer and I feel like I got a good deal at $19,700 out the door. May I ask what yours set you back?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid $20k was up for $22k needs a set of tires. Looks like about 30% left. Might’ve change to 19 inch possibly.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bigger wheels just means rougher ride....and more susceptible to road damage. These are big heavy vehicles...finding tires for 19" wheels with the proper load rating will also be more difficult. Nice van though!

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I’ve never understood this whole big wheel thing. It makes the ride more uncomfortable and makes the van more susceptible to damage, and those are mainly the only things that larger wheels do for you. I mean especially considering that this vehicle is much more likely to rollover than slide.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If I compare the tire size of some small cars I have owned - 13 - 14 inch rims, the small tires caused a lot of bounce and noise on the roads we have in CA. The roads here are not that smooth and when I was in OH / Toledo visiting my brother, it was even worse. Small tires on rough roads will destroy a suspension.

Larger tires help deal with the potholes and uneven payment MUCH better than small tires, at least in my experience.

In theory the ideal situation is to have as little mass as possible sprung from the suspension. In reality, the larger tires are good at absorbing some of the "shock" of crossing those potholes and uneven pavement. It isn't like Germany and the autobaun. Literally every segment of the road is uneven. The blacktop over coats only last a year before they are torn up. Not quite sure why, because it isn't like the weather is that bad.

I am sure that there is a point where larger tires do not help, but I don't know what that number is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts