Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Good price on demo?

13K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Baron 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 2016 cargo with almost all the bells and whistles. MSRP of $38,835, however it's a demo with 8k miles and some aftermarket (Ranger) upfitting, which I will remove much of. The warranty was started in October of 2016, and I know the car has been driven around for almost a year.

What do you think is a fair price for a car with this many miles and clock ticking on warranty already? There's a $3500 rebate out right now for cargos.

#4 ·
Just look around on Autotrader for an average market value for a start. Just don't show too much love for it because the salesperson will take advantage.

#5 ·
I got $5,000 off sticker when I ordered a new loaded 2016 cargo last summer. That was before the $3,000 cash back at delivery. so ended up with $8,000. You should get at least $5,000 more of a discount. I would start with the $25,000 bid before the cash back is subtracted to see how motivated they are to sell. When they won't come down any further ask for a free extended warranty. It's about $1,000 per year retail price. Oh, and don't include your old car in the bidding if you are trading it in. That will make the pricing more confusing.

#6 ·
I would make a point of insisting on the 7/120k extended warranty. At 47.5k miles I have already incurred about 50% of its listed price in various warranty work. I'm not complaining about the car, mind you. I love it. But it is a Mercedes. They have stupid stuff breaking, and every time they pop the hood on one, it costs big money.

#15 ·
We bought a 'demo' also that was supposedly driven by a salesman. I could see that, it was pretty clean inside. They pushed the fact that it was being titled like a new car which I didn't care a flip about. We overpaid because we needed to leave in less than 48 hours on an extended work trip. Even with what we over paid we saved thousands in what it would have cost had we not bought that day in other expenses.

The problems we have had with it being a demo are the little things that were wrong when purchased (clips broken, water in fog light) they have tried to push off on being our fault. So look it over very well. And under! First oil change the guy changing the oil tells me clips are broken before he even starts. When the trailer hitch was being put on that guy showed me a bumper issue underneath before he even started. A friend that does alignments came over and said it need an alignment just by looking at the tires.

I still like it and I'm glad we bought that day but I'm not happy with the 'demo' aspect of it. I honestly prefer used in that you don't have some fop going on about how you are getting a van sold as new. Paint is terrible and the mirrors are worthless. I don't think I like the dealer, trying to get issues resolved made me feel like I was dealing with a used car lot.

#24 ·
I've got about 9600 miles on mine and to my shame I haven't been paying attention to tire wear.:eek:
Hey, it's a new vehicle, practically.:rolleyes: Anyway, my wife sez to me, she sez, "What's wrong with the tires on the Metris"? Turns out that the front tires outer edges are wearing very rapidly. She does drive it a lot more than me and she has been known to be a little "sporty" in her driving habits. She just got a reckless driving ticket a few months ago. BTW she's 67 yo. Her mother was nick named "Road Runner" and she was called "Road Runner Jr." So, getting back to the problem, I've got a question about the "delicate alignment". What do you mean by delicate? Is it difficult to dial in or does it easily get "out of alignment"? Thanks, Dave

#26 ·
Couple of comments: We took the seats out of the passenger van. The rear tint is dark enough to keep wandering eyes out. If complete blackout is wanted there are better choices than a windowless panel van. The passenger is definitely quieter. The rear width between the wheel wells is 47" on the passenger, 48" on the cargo. This may be important. The passenger van will have a much higher resale value.

#31 ·
I thought long and hard at the passenger van. This vehicle is for traveling with dogs, and camping out of. Possibly some RV characteristics in the future. Resale is not an issue as I'm buying this over say, the Ford Transit Connect for future-proofing (better payload, towing capacity, larger cargo capacity). I drive my vehicles into the ground.

I love the lashing rails which obviously aren't available in the passenger. The rear A/C for the dogs is very desirable, but so also is the lack of windows to help keep the van cooler when crating out of the car. I kind of like the idea of the second row passenger window for better visibility, but I would still put a white vinyl screen over it.
In the end the cargo really impressed me with regards to just how much space I have to stack crates across (could probably get 12 large dog crates in this vehicle). The passenger plastic paneling by the wheel wells eats up too much space in front of, and behind the actual wells.

#28 ·
It is covered for one year or 12000 miles so ask your dealer to do it. I mentioned that it pulled very slightly to the right, regardless of the crown of the road, which it did, and they did it under warranty. The print out of the before and after reading showed substantial differences. I am sure that it was set correctly at the factory but after a few thousand miles, things settle.

#29 ·
I appreciate the response, but I'd like to do as much as I can locally. The dealership is about 50 miles away as opposed to 9 miles to the tire shop I use. I'll certainly use the dealership for all complicated work, but it's still just a van and I don't know of any reason a competent shop can't do an alignment. There may be such a reason, that's why I asked the question.

#33 ·
OK, I got the Metris aligned, tires rotated and balanced. They tried to bill me for the alignment, so I needed to remind them that to the best of my knowledge it should be covered under warranty. They then removed the charge for that and I just had to pay for tire balance and rotation. They are very friendly and attentive, but the charge for what should be a warranty item along with IMHO a pretty long time to do the work on a scheduled appointment was worth a demerit.
While I was killing time I perused the new and used offerings at the dealership. I found 3 2017 passenger Metris' on the lot, all parked together in the back behind the showroom. The only Metris' out front where the public could see them were a couple of cargo vans. I don't think the dealership quite knows what to do with them. While I was there I also priced the extended warranties. I didn't want to pop for one until I was sure we liked the vehicle. Surprisingly, to me and also to the employee who handles such things, there appeared to be no surcharge for a late purchase of said extended warranty, He said that ordinarily there is a 15% surcharge for one purchased after 30 days of ownership. He didn't offer a lot of information as to what is covered by an extended warranty. Does anyone have a link to any documentation about such things?
Thanks, Dave

#34 ·
OK, I got the Metris aligned, tires rotated and balanced. They tried to bill me for the alignment, so I needed to remind them that to the best of my knowledge it should be covered under warranty. They then removed the charge
Hmm, I would have thought alignment was a "wear and tear" type of maintenance, like rotating tires. I would never expect it to be covered under warranty. What do others think?

#38 ·
There are localized rough patches here and there, from city to town, but on the whole it is pretty good.

Unless of course, you drive through Pembroke, Ontario's main drag. My poor B200 rattles and bucks even on 16" winter rims. The alloy 17" summers make it even worse.

#37 ·
Can't remember who, but someone who appears to be in the know, said at one time that alignment was a warranty item in the first year.
At least that's how I remember it. The service adviser was nice as could be, never questioned my statement that I "thought it was covered". If they'd have denied it I wouldn't have argued he point, I'd have just paid up. I think I'll subtract the demerit I awarded them earlier and instead award them one gold star.

Dave

#42 ·
Then I'd be genuinely concerned about steering components and alignment each year. lol

#49 ·
well something from the west, Do you know, why Wyoming is so windy? Because Nebraska Sucks.
Do you know, what Wyoming goat fears the most? The sound of a zipper.
Why most Italians are Tony?.... Kids send from Italy had on their forehead TO N.Y.
do you know what you call abortion in Czech Republic? Canceled Czech.

#46 ·
I'm from Roebling. I think most people would call that South Jersey (most people use 195 as the Central/South divider). I used to live in Lancaster county (tiny town called Adamstown). Live with plain folk (which is what mennonites, moravians, and Old Order Amish refer to themselves as) for a while and even South Jersians seem rude and pretentious.

I have dreams of moving back there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.