Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2016 cargo with almost all the bells and whistles. MSRP of $38,835, however it's a demo with 8k miles and some aftermarket (Ranger) upfitting, which I will remove much of. The warranty was started in October of 2016, and I know the car has been driven around for almost a year.

What do you think is a fair price for a car with this many miles and clock ticking on warranty already? There's a $3500 rebate out right now for cargos.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just look around on Autotrader for an average market value for a start. Just don't show too much love for it because the salesperson will take advantage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got $5,000 off sticker when I ordered a new loaded 2016 cargo last summer. That was before the $3,000 cash back at delivery. so ended up with $8,000. You should get at least $5,000 more of a discount. I would start with the $25,000 bid before the cash back is subtracted to see how motivated they are to sell. When they won't come down any further ask for a free extended warranty. It's about $1,000 per year retail price. Oh, and don't include your old car in the bidding if you are trading it in. That will make the pricing more confusing.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I would make a point of insisting on the 7/120k extended warranty. At 47.5k miles I have already incurred about 50% of its listed price in various warranty work. I'm not complaining about the car, mind you. I love it. But it is a Mercedes. They have stupid stuff breaking, and every time they pop the hood on one, it costs big money.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would make a point of insisting on the 7/120k extended warranty. At 47.5k miles I have already incurred about 50% of its listed price in various warranty work. I'm not complaining about the car, mind you. I love it. But it is a Mercedes. They have stupid stuff breaking, and every time they pop the hood on one, it costs big money.
Not to highjack the OP's thread. But, you kind of got me worried!!!!! What kind of stuff has broke??? Has it left you stranded on the side of the road?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Offer $25,000 to start off. Go for the extended maintenance. Dealers do not want 2016 to show people. Good luck.
I wouldn't even offer 25,000. The truck is used!!!!! And most likely a loaner!!! I mean seriously. 8000 miles? Just in test drives?
I don't think so! But, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Not to highjack the OP's thread. But, you kind of got me worried!!!!! What kind of stuff has broke??? Has it left you stranded on the side of the road?
No, not at all. We had to replace the radio and Nav module both, for example. Merck don't have those kinds of problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't even offer 25,000. The truck is used!!!!! And most likely a loaner!!! I mean seriously. 8000 miles? Just in test drives?
I don't think so! But, I could be wrong.
The story is Ranger did a bunch of custom upfitting on this vehicle and brought it around to trade shows. It has big vinyl decals touting what Ranger put in, so it's believable. Likely highway miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was also thinking of asking them to do my first service before I take delivery, since they've been driving it a year and it's due timewise. Reasonable?

·
Registered
285 Posts
The story is Ranger did a bunch of custom upfitting on this vehicle and brought it around to trade shows. It has big vinyl decals touting what Ranger put in, so it's believable. Likely highway miles.
Ok that's sounds legit then. But, kind of crazy for you to pay for all that upfitting, "just to remove it". Anyways, if you do get it and want to sell some of that Ranger stuff. Let me know! :grin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
We bought a 'demo' also that was supposedly driven by a salesman. I could see that, it was pretty clean inside. They pushed the fact that it was being titled like a new car which I didn't care a flip about. We overpaid because we needed to leave in less than 48 hours on an extended work trip. Even with what we over paid we saved thousands in what it would have cost had we not bought that day in other expenses.

The problems we have had with it being a demo are the little things that were wrong when purchased (clips broken, water in fog light) they have tried to push off on being our fault. So look it over very well. And under! First oil change the guy changing the oil tells me clips are broken before he even starts. When the trailer hitch was being put on that guy showed me a bumper issue underneath before he even started. A friend that does alignments came over and said it need an alignment just by looking at the tires.

I still like it and I'm glad we bought that day but I'm not happy with the 'demo' aspect of it. I honestly prefer used in that you don't have some fop going on about how you are getting a van sold as new. Paint is terrible and the mirrors are worthless. I don't think I like the dealer, trying to get issues resolved made me feel like I was dealing with a used car lot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just got a quote back from a dealer in NC for $10 000 below MSRP on a new left over 2016. Not all the options I want but for that price who can say no. So for a demo with 8000 miles on it they need to do why better than that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got a quote back from a dealer in NC for $10 000 below MSRP on a new left over 2016. Not all the options I want but for that price who can say no. So for a demo with 8000 miles on it they need to do why better than that.
Exactly. Went and saw it today. This van would work for me. I offered 25 but they were firm at 30,5 so I left. I will email explaining why it's overpriced and leave it in their hands.

Whitey, what was the sticker on the one you're talking about?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Whats the NC Dealer?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts