Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

241 - 260 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would have forced them to fix that for free if it was not covered. However its good to know the parts to fix it are barely $90...looks like its mostly labor...

Was yours a Cargo or passenger model?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cargo.

Also, there is a NHTSA complaint from March 2018: I could not attach the link.....

CERTIFIED MAIL
RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED
Michael D. Scott
MAR 15 2018
Department Manager, Regulatory Management and Campaigns
Mercedes-Benz Vans
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
8501 Palmetto Commerce Pkwy
Ladson, SC 29456

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
When I had mine done it was after the original warranty expired. When the repair was first discussed with me it was determined that it was not covered. However, my SA told me that he considered it a safety issue and was going to ask corporate for a “goodwill gesture”. We didn’t discuss it again, largely because through whatever means, it was covered gratis.

I remember “recall” being listed on the work order; this particular issue. I don’t know whether it was originally deemed not covered and they argued it, or whether that particular issue is not covered under ELW because it is specifically covered under a recall account, and they want to keep their accounting straight.

In any case, I would write to corporate anc demand to be compensated. This is a major safety issue. Older MB diesels are known for self-destructing fuel return lines (they last about 30k miles or so) but on a diesel leaking fuel is annoying, not a safety issue.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi RobbMeex
Our Metris Passenger was Manufactured January 2016. It sat on the lot until we bought new in December 2016. We have a little over 4K miles on it as it is not a daily driver. My concern is it getting out of warranty around 6K miles or so and have the fuel line issue. Yes I know we could purchase the Extended Warranty for $3-4K but at this rate we won't have many miles (maybe around 14-15K) at the end of the 7 year extended warranty. My question to you as an owner and expert on these MB. Do you think EVERY Metris in early production has the issue? Or was it just a small percentage manufactured on a bad parts day or bad assembly day?

Thanks much, Rob

·
Registered
939 Posts
The difference in those two stories on the RO is warranty vs nonwarranty. Warranty RO's get a novel because that is how we are paid. Customer pay gets bare minimum because you are paying for the labor, not my novel.

PM sent. No, not every one was affected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this problem this morning.

Hey. Just had this problem this morning with my 2016 Metris passenger van. I saw the Recall link in one of the earlier posts. I entered my VIN and this is what I received.

2016 M1PV126

You vehicle has an active safety recall. Scroll down to see exact details and important steps.

Safety Recalls - On going

NHTSA Recall Number: 18V837

Recall Reported: Nov 27 2018
Recall Starts: (No Date)

Components: PDGVERBIND

Recall Description:

SUMMARY
Daimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz Vans, has determined that certain Mercedes-Benz Metris vehicles (Platform 447) may show a minor fuel leakage at the lower connecting point of the transition hose, between the underbody fuel line and the Schrader valve. In addition, limited fuel weeping in the upper connection of the fuel line to the fuel pump - which typically produces fuel odor, but no significant loss of fuel from the system - could be present during cold start conditions. Fuel leakage in the presence of a potential ignition source within the engine compartment could create the risk of a fire. An authorized Mercedes-Benz Metris dealer will repair the subject vehicles as follows: At the lower connection, the hose and clamp will be replaced and the correct mounting ensured, as necessary. At the upper connection, the existing hose will be replaced.
CONSEQUENCE
Fuel leakage in the presence of a potential ignition source within the engine compartment could create the risk of a fire.

View Customer Letter (Link that goes to a MB page that says temporarily not available)

Remedies
An authorized Mercedes-Benz Metris dealer will repair the subject vehicles as follows: At the lower connection, the hose and clamp will be replaced and the correct mounting ensured, as necessary. At the upper connection, the existing hose will be replaced.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Has anyone had this problem fixed at MB of Seattle? After two different phone calls with their service department, I finally got hold of someone who has heard of the issue. I've had it happen a dozen time over the past two year, but only on freezing weather days. Dropping it off Monday and hopefully they will fix it. I won't know if it's fixed until we get some more freezing weather.

·
Registered
939 Posts
You'll know its fixed if they replace the rubber line from the body to the fuel port and the rubber line from the fuel port to the high pressure fuel pump.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I still believe this is something different than a rubber hose leaking. Mine is very random. A leaky hose leaks. Mine is vapor/fumes, no fuel on the ground. If it was just a leaky hose, I should smell it daily. Right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
A Recall is now official!

I just got my official NHTSA RECALL NOTICE email today (Dec. 12, 2018) about the fuel leak smell problem. Nothing official from MB yet. They have to send out official notices to owners, according to the NHTSA. I have been waiting for more than a year for this recall on my Metris 2016 Passenger.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looking at the recall, there are two hoses being replaced. We only had one replaced when it went in before.

Nov 27,2018
Manufacturer Recall Number2018120006
NHTSA Recall Number18V837
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete, remedy not yet available
SummaryDaimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz Vans, has determined that certain Mercedes-Benz Metris vehicles (Platform 447) may show a minor fuel leakage at the lower connecting point of the transition hose, between the underbody fuel line and the Schrader valve. In addition, limited fuel weeping in the upper connection of the fuel line to the fuel pump - which typically produces fuel odor, but no significant loss of fuel from the system - could be present during cold start conditions. Fuel leakage in the presence of a potential ignition source within the engine compartment could create the risk of a fire. An authorized Mercedes-Benz Metris dealer will repair the subject vehicles as follows: At the lower connection, the hose and clamp will be replaced and the correct mounting ensured, as necessary. At the upper connection, the existing hose will be replaced.
Safety RiskFuel leakage in the presence of a potential ignition source within the engine compartment could create the risk of a fire.
RemedyAn authorized Mercedes-Benz Metris dealer will repair the subject vehicles as follows: At the lower connection, the hose and clamp will be replaced and the correct mounting ensured, as necessary. At the upper connection, the existing hose will be replaced.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can't wait for the recall. Took my van to 2 dealers and none of them can smell it nor have the ever heard of it. I can smell mine daily, no matter the temp. It is however most noticeable at just about half a tank of gas.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Imo, it has to do with fuel pulse. Most modern cars, when you open a door or activate...energize the car in any way the fuel pump turns on and keeps fuel pressure high for a quick start. Here is what happened to me, I was sleeping in mine, in the middle of the night I heard it pulse or a solenoid activate...about 30 seconds later i smell gas. Now, maybe there is a return line that is leaking, i don't know, but it has to do with the fuel pressure prime system....not proper words.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My gas smell is so bad that I don't even have to start it up. If you walk past it on a Monday morning after no driving on the weekend, you can smell the gas. Start it up and it get even worse.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I ran my 135 VIN and it does not appear to be subject to the recall. I am sure that's a NHTSA issue rather than evidence the problem doesn't affect the 135s.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'd like to avoid a flood, but PM me and I will check it. I'll post my findings here.

241 - 260 of 274 Posts