Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

221 - 240 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ok. I discovered something interesting about this fuel leak. The problem has been trying to duplicate it. It's so infrequent its almost impossible. I sometimes camp in my van, and on my last trip i heard what I thought was a small animal under my van...it made strange sound...almost like something at cycled or a solenoid activating. 15 seconds i smell gas. It was middle of the night van had not ran for over 10 hours. I don't know what to think of it. It seems no one has seen a leak, only vapor.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The only way I was able to duplicate the smell was if the van sat for over 12 hours then started up. I told that to the dealer and they confirmed that they smelled it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don’t think making a complaint for @Ethel3319 will do anything he already lost one van.
It certainly won't help the van that was lost but it could help everyone else. Fire or chance of fire turns it into a safety issue and will get the attention that it deserves. Individual instances don't get filtered up to either MB or the NHTSA unless they are reported. Sure they might not do anything about it or even be timely but nothing will get fixed if they don't know or there isn't some feedback loop in place to report safety issues.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don’t think making a complaint for @Ethel3319 will do anything he already lost one van.
If NHTSA investigates this common problem and ends up ordering a recall, that could help every Metris owner - including Ethel3319, who still has two remaining vans - AND it could entitle Ethel3319 to relief from Mercedes for the van that burned up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm taking my 2016 in shortly for it's 2 yr service and I'll address this problem with my service adviser, a gentleman who has been very easy to work with. I've had the gasoline smell a couple of times. I'll see what they have to say. I've printed the work orders provided by a couple of posters to bolster my case if need be. thanks.

BTW, I've filed a complaint with the NHTSA, everyone who has the problem should do so.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Oh, that's great! That tech knows how to warranty! Good story. He got paid!

I think N118 is Fuel System Control Unit (fscu)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm taking my 2016 in shortly for it's 2 yr service and I'll address this problem with my service adviser, a gentleman who has been very easy to work with. I've had the gasoline smell a couple of times. I'll see what they have to say. I've printed the work orders provided by a couple of posters to bolster my case if need be. thanks.

BTW, I've filed a complaint with the NHTSA, everyone who has the problem should do so.
Picked up my 2016 today. My service adviser was aware of the "known" fuel odor problem, absolutely no pushback , repaired under warranty. Props to Leith MB of Raleigh NC.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like the way the tech actually used his, or her trouble shooting skills, didn't easter egg it or wave off the problem.
Yes, I like the service guy who handles sprinter/metris @Rocklin, ca. Greg. He doesn’t treat me like a dumb ass customer. (Which I probably am)

On the morning I started the van to take it in for service, the darn check engine light had turned off. Greg said to bring it in anyway, “stalls are not a good thing.”

·
Registered
939 Posts
LI07.00-N-068683 - Found on CVTekInfo:

- Complaint of Fuel Odor with Model 447 with M274 Engine -
Topic number
LI07.00-N-068683
Version
Function group
07.00 General
Date
08-21-2018
Validity
447 Metris Models with M274 engine.
Reason for change

Complaint
Customer complaint of fuel odor. Staining or leaking present at connection between low-pressure supply line and high-pressure fuel pump.

Cause
Possible damage to low-pressure supply line or clamp connection to high-pressure fuel pump.

Remedy
*Note: DO NOT DISCONNECT THE LOW-PRESSURE SUPPLY LINE FROM THE HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL PUMP!

#1: Take numerous high-quality photographs of connection between low-pressure supply hose and high-pressure pump.

#2: Create PTSS case and attach photographs.

Symptoms

Symptom
Power generation / Fuel system / Fuel system odor / Odor
Power generation / Fuel system / Leakage / System leaks

- Looks like complete BS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Fuel Smell problem fixed today by dealer. ($512)...I asked if they have seen this issue before......"Yea, we did 2 repairs yesterday!" NHTSA complaint next on my list....

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Same Fuel Smell problem fixed today by dealer. ($512)...I asked if they have seen this issue before......"Yea, we did 2 repairs yesterday!" NHTSA complaint next on my list....
You didn't pay right? I bought my 8 pass just 12 days before you in Nov 19th, 2015 and just dropped it last night for the same smell problem and don't have to pay because it's still under warranty exp. in 2 days (I got the ELW though). And my SA said this is the first case of passenger van she got, lot of cargo vans though. I'll check back if they fix the same things like yours.

No free car wash? Loaner? I got them with 2019 GLC loaner for the weekend because they don't work on Saturdays.

Question for Robb: is this gas smell under ELW? I didn't want to risk to check the ELW (original warr. exp. tomorrow Sunday) so I took it in last night for the first time even though it's been a while I guess because I haven't smelled it (problem for old people) but every time my sister or brother in law in the van they always said there's gas smell in my van.

221 - 240 of 274 Posts