Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We first noticed a gasoline smell in the middle of the night when camping in British Columbia last summer.

A month later we noticed the smell again.

Now it happens once or twice a week. Sometimes shortly after we turn off the engine. Sometimes 12-18 hours after we turned off the engine. Mostly we smell it outside the van, near the gas tank filler or near the front of the van, though sometimes we smell it inside the van.

The dealer can't figure it out. They find no evidence of a leak. No message on the computer. They say it would smell all the time if we had managed to get gas into the charcoal ventilation canister.

Any insights?

·
Registered
939 Posts
No. We've been chasing this one as well. Last we put a high pressure pump on. Haven't heard if it fixed it. I'll keep you in the loop.

·
Registered
939 Posts
So from what I've heard, the brazing on the pump fittings leak. I can confirm that our case was solved by swapping the high pressure fuel pump.

You should smell 0 gas. Warranty.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good to know.

There should be a sticky thread once issues like this become more common. Especially if its from the same source.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Leaving for work this morning I caught a whiff of gasoline odor walking past the front of the van. Pop the hood and sniff around. Confirmed gas odor coming from right side of engine compartment (me facing vehicle). No odor when I initially enter vehicle. Start it up. Immediate gas smell.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is important. Hopefully a TSB has been dispatched and no fires result from this.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have noticed it aswell once or twice. I thought one of motorcycles leaked and maybe air current blew it toward the van. I guess back to dealer again for warranty work, the other time was for crappy paint. I also found a metal brake line that appears to be rubbing the chassis. I plan to let MB know about this. It's from the left side near the front wheel control arm, chassis area. Most of these problems are because of the stupid F'ing chicken tax which requires them to remove the drive train and and I think the fuel system in Europe and re-install them when they get to the us. Having said all this, I really love this van!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its either fumes, a wet leak or exhaust. A good tech can find the source. Cannot see this as being different sources this early.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So from what I've heard, the brazing on the pump fittings leak. I can confirm that our case was solved by swapping the high pressure fuel pump.

You should smell 0 gas. Warranty.
Is there a way for the laymen to visually inspect to see if this is the case? I smelled gas once too and assumed it was the lawnmower gas can I keep near the front end.

Thx Robb

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dealer's lead technician called yesterday and told me that there are reports that the low pressure gasoline hose has been identified as have gaskets that shrink when cold and release some gas. He has ordered a replacement hose but it will take a few weeks to come in as they are in tight supply as they no longer use the old hose when building new Metrises.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've smelled a faint whiff of gas a couple times, but this morning.

13 degrees out, started the van to warm up and about 10 minutes later had a fairly strong gas smell in the garage and inside the van. Had an appointment this morning so of course I ignore the smell and drive off. Stuck in traffic due to hazardous conditions and the gas smell becomes almost overwhelming. Had to roll down the windows, turn around and limp home. An hour later the garage is still filled with the smell of gas. Moral of the story, if you smell gas at all, take your van in right away.

On the up side, the new snow tires performed beautifully and along with traction control I was moving when lots of others were spinning their wheels.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If it was that strong, it must be a wet leak. To me, this would be considered a safety hazard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new Metris cargo owner, bought on 11/5, I've had the gas smell several times, brought to the dealer and they said it was the low pressure return fuel hose crimp that is bad, they replaced it, and sent me on my way. A week later had a large fuel leak on my driveway, brought back to dealer, they couldn't replicate the leak, and didn't have the parts that have been causing this leak (severice advisor says several other customers are having this leak) , and don't know when new parts are arriving from Germany. Truck is now sitting in the driveway and I'm back to driving the Pickup for work. I don't want my new van turning into a fireball and destroying all my tools!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the same issue with my Metris, fuel pouring out of the bottom of my van. I was told that the replacement parts won't be available for at least a month. If I heard the service manager correctly, They don't have any parts manufactured yet. Needless to say, my business is going to suffer. Not very happy at the moment.

1 - 20 of 273 Posts