Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Sounds like valve is stuck. What You're gonna wanna do is hook up the sds and verify, drop the gas tank, go into parts, get the valve, replace it and then lift the assembly back into place.
-or-
Tell the dealership. Maybe even have a shop foreman ride with you to fill a few gallons. don't fill it up so you have space to fill it to verify remedy.

I'm more prone to the first one, but then again, I've been told I get paid to work on my own ****. Also, have you tried not sticking the nozzle in as far?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My new postal Metris van has developed this problem, slow fueling, after around 12 fuel ups, 2500 miles of dusty Kansas roads (rural route). I can see the fuel backing up in the fuel tube after the fuel nozzle kicks off at only few gallons filled...and then it will fill with 10 more gallons, with me slowly adding more gas. I am wondering if dust built up on a vent. No other issue.

edit, next fill up went well for 5 gallons, then slow. Wondering if just running it with less gas will help, maybe the filling to full tank is an issue, will experiment in coming weeks.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I don’t know what causes it; I have not had any such problems in the past 5 years and 127k miles of widely varied use.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My new postal Metris van has developed this problem, slow fueling, after around 12 fuel ups, 2500 miles of dusty Kansas roads (rural route). I can see the fuel backing up in the fuel tube after the fuel nozzle kicks off at only few gallons filled...and then it will fill with 10 more gallons, with me slowly adding more gas. I am wondering if dust built up on a vent. No other issue.

edit, next fill up went well for 5 gallons, then slow. Wondering if just running it with less gas will help, maybe the filling to full tank is an issue, will experiment in coming weeks.
Welcome and please keep us posted on your USPS Metris --

·
Registered
84 Posts
The shutoff problem is now very bad, regardless of where I try to fill it. So I let my van with dealer. Shop manager said they threaded a hose with a hi-def camera into the tank and couldn't see anything wrong. They thought it might be the carbon filter, but then didn't change it out because they weren't sure. I suggested they just drop the tank and replace the vent valve but manager said they had looked at the valve and it was ok. Any suggestion before I escalate this to the service manager?

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have two 2016 one passenger one cargo and both do it I’ve taken to mb and they are aware but say it’s working as designed and suggested I hold the pump seal back myself.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
260 Posts
5000 miles on a 2020 cargo. Approx 15 fill-ups at different gas stations. At all I can fill at full speed and auto shut-off gets it right. Sympathy for anyone who has this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two 2016 one passenger one cargo and both do it I’ve taken to mb and they are aware but say it’s working as designed and suggested I hold the pump seal back myself.
'Hold pump seal back' refers to a vapor recovery gas nozzle ? My filling station doesn't have that, I'm in Kansas. I've seen them when traveling in Colorado. The pump used to normal for the first 10-14 fillups, now its 1 gal / min. I'll push for a dealer look, the post office tracks our 'stop' times, and am sure they don't like my long fueling stops as well. No codes or running issues. Pump works fine with my personal car.

Originally , I would fill to the pump stop at the end of a run, park the vehicle on a slight downhill slope, wondering if that angle with the full tank may have something to do with this. Am filling it 2/3 's full now...

edit, busy time at work, so I'll just deal with slow fueling for a while...

edit--- Slow fueling independent of fullness of gas tank, I'm guessing a problem in the filler tube.

·
Registered
84 Posts
kanzam, I have tried everything on my 2016 cargo the past year or so to get it to fill at a normal rate with no positive result, it only gets worse. Leaving it for a day-and-a-half with the dealer left them scratching their heads. They said they had looked inside with a hi-def camera and everything including the relief valve appeared operational. I'm calling the service manager at my local MB tomorrow and I'm going to ask him to replace the entire tank while it's still on extended warranty for one more month. I'll let you know how that goes

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think I have experienced this a few times. Now I pump fuel with the bottom of the nozzle rotated to the nine o'clock position. That seems to have solved it for the time being for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, MB solved my problem. Before their fix, my tank would not take more than a gallon or a gallon-and-a-half without the fuel filler hose shutting off. Every. Time. Long story short (5 days in the shop, 3 visits) they (quoting from my receipt) replaced the "filter on the charcoal canister. Found it clogged, blocking proper operation of purge flap for fuel tank." Their theory must be correct. It fills up like a normal van now and I am very happy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, MB solved my problem. Before their fix, my tank would not take more than a gallon or a gallon-and-a-half without the fuel filler hose shutting off. Every. Time. Long story short (5 days in the shop, 3 visits) they (quoting from my receipt) replaced the "filter on the charcoal canister. Found it clogged, blocking proper operation of purge flap for fuel tank." Their theory must be correct. It fills up like a normal van now and I am very happy.
My 2017 cargo Metris had no problems with this until I hit 200,000 miles. The repairs were the the same as your shop did - works great now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts