Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this isn't a Metris-only problem because I occasionally had it with my last van, an E250 Ford. Way too often when I fill up, the gas starts pumping and then almost immediately shuts off again. Each attempt to restart the pump is met more or less the same way with auto-shutoff--even tho the tank is one-quarter to three-quarters empty. Pulling out the nozzle slightly or out most of the way doesn't have any effect. Rocking the van back and forth makes no difference. I thought it was just a particular station that had the back-pressure trigger set too low, but now I find it happening in multiple locations. Too often now, pumps shut off a dozen times in a row and eventually I get enough gas but never a full fill-up. Could there be a problem with my vehicle that causes this irritating tripping of the gas pump?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had that problem once on my Metris at about half tank. I gave up rather than try to force more in as I was nearly done driving for the day on a trip. The next day, after driving around a bit, I got in and there was a strong gasoline smell. I started it up, and instant check engine light. The issue turned out to be a sticky valve in the vapor recovery system. The dealer said this "could" have been the cause for the pump shutting off due to too much back pressure. I dunno if there was any relationship between the two or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this issue currently on a 2016 Metris Passenger Van - on a fill-up, the gas pump shuts off every few seconds - took 15 mins to do a fill-up with what seemed like 100 shut-offs. Dealer thinks it might be a carbon filter in the down pipe blocked or over reacting. Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Might be pump dependent. I have problems with some Costco pumps, but when I move to a different line, no problem.

Same with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Pump shut off frequency is about the same as with the Metris, but 100% at certain pumps. My wife’s Subaru Outback never has a problem anywhere so I’m thinking that the combo of the Metris or Jeep and certain pump settings causes the shutoff.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update on my gas pump auto-shutoff problem: my local Costco's pumps have new nozzles and now I no longer have any problem with auto-shutoffs when filling up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm sure this isn't a Metris-only problem because I occasionally had it with my last van, an E250 Ford. Way too often when I fill up, the gas starts pumping and then almost immediately shuts off again. Each attempt to restart the pump is met more or less the same way with auto-shutoff--even tho the tank is one-quarter to three-quarters empty. Pulling out the nozzle slightly or out most of the way doesn't have any effect. Rocking the van back and forth makes no difference. I thought it was just a particular station that had the back-pressure trigger set too low, but now I find it happening in multiple locations. Too often now, pumps shut off a dozen times in a row and eventually I get enough gas but never a full fill-up. Could there be a problem with my vehicle that causes this irritating tripping of the gas pump?
MB is aware according to my service adviser but have no fixes they say, first told me it’s old nozzles but it didn’t happen u til around 45k miles on 1 and 60k on my other! It literally takes 15-20 minutes to fill up! This along with the other xcessive tire wear will definitely take MB out of the running for my small fleet replacement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have this issue currently on a 2016 Metris Passenger Van - on a fill-up, the gas pump shuts off every few seconds - took 15 mins to do a fill-up with what seemed like 100 shut-offs. Dealer thinks it might be a carbon filter in the down pipe blocked or over reacting. Has anyone else heard of such a thing?
I have the same issue and dealer keeps saying it’s fine, it’s on both my 2016’s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts