Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Long time lurker- first time poster. A little backstory: I've never considered myself a 'van guy', but we recently purchased a couple kayaks(approx. 9ft6in each). Transporting them on the top of my car with roof racks is getting old- it takes almost a half hour with all the required straps! We really enjoy our new hobby, but the work involved has made us reconsider our transport option. That and my car is falling apart!

I've had a pickup truck in the past so that was my first thought. However, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to find a basic, long-bed truck that will fit in our garage. Also, truck prices these days are obscene I don't want all the fancy bells-and-whistles that seem to be standard around here. Finally, I want something we can go camping in and a truck camper makes the garage-situation a no.

I saw an article back in the Spring about the Metris Weekender and fell in love! I never considered vans because I always associated them with soccer moms and scary guys 'down by the river'. The Metris, however, has a certain 'subtle elegance' to it and everyone says it drives so well. I read that even with the pop-top(required for us as we like separate sleeping areas) it would still fit in the garage- plus, with a little custom work I could make it so we could just toss the boats in the back when we just want to go kayaking.

After doing some research I think I'm looking for a basic cargo version of the Metris and the pop-top only from Peace Vans. Everything on the inside I can figure out with this great forum as a reference. My questions are: 1. Should I wait for the 2021s or try to find a deal on the 2019/2020s still out there? 2. What is a fair price for a BASIC cargo van right now on dealer lots? 3. Can I bring a van to Peace Vans or do I have to buy from Mercedes Seattle? Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions- I'm sure I'll have more!

Jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi
I'm the owner of Peace Vans. I generally try to only respond to posts where we are mentioned our our experience in working on these vans can answer a question. We will not shill our products nor advertise.

The 2021s still aren't orderable, and likelly won't land in the states until January. The soonest we could drop a pop top on after that would be February. That timeline is the same for any "BYOV".

We will work on vans from other dealers. We work very closely with MBZ-Seattle on secureing a large allocation of new vans and the partnership with them is excellent for other reasons as well. We strongly encourage people buying a new van to buy from them.

Feel free to reach out to Peace Vans directly. Thanks for considering us.

Reactions: HomeBrew

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The 2021s are not going to have much to really make them better than a 2019 besides the improved stereo Receiver, which will be available aftermarket from what I can tell.

They will likely also have the 9-speed automatic, which will be more efficient, and may be as good as the 7-speed in reliability terms, but the seven speed is a proven and reliable part that has been in production for I think 16 or 17 years now. I would be surprised if this wasn’t part of the upgrade, as this is one of the last vehicles to use the 7G-Tronic.

It may also have the newer engine which will likely be more efficient, but it is a very complicated engine so it is not as (relatively) proven as the M274. The M274 will not go down in the hallows of MB history as it’s finest engine (partly because some of the weaker, simpler engines of the 60s, 70s, and 80s are not only bulletproof, but demonstrably bomb proof (look up Fifth Gear W124 on YouTube)) but it’s pretty decent; the M264 is not proven- although it is based on the M274, it uses a twin scroll turbo, and a 48-v mild hybrid with a bunch of electrical smart stuff that I wouldn’t quite trust in its early life. It may also stick to the M274.

The rest of the changes are mild and completely cosmetic.

Were I buying I’d go for a 2020 or 2019 at a discount and put part of that discount to installing the newer Pioneer infotainment system when it becomes available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I read about the Vito getting all kind of stuff standard for 2021(blind spot, collision prevention, some kind of digital rear view mirror?, and the updated 9-speed transmission). If those things do make it over to the Metris I’m worried the starting price will be nearing what I mentioned earlier in regards to pick-ups today! I want to keep things as simple as possible just because that’s who I am(my current car is 20 years old, a manual, and power-nothing) and I can’t see myself spending $30k on a new vehicle(especially when I have budgeted $14k for the top).

On an unrelated note, what’s the little button on the center console to the right of the hazard? It’s the letter A with a circle around it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go for it. I picked up my 2020 cargo 3 weeks ago and I couldn't be happier.
Bought my 2020 cargo van about the same time. Almost 600 miles on the van now and I love it. Engine is starting to "loosen" up and it wants to rev. A few times starting out I've spun -- admittedly just a bit -- the rear tires. Van seems to have plenty of pep. Helped in part by that 7-speed automatic.

Gas mileage is getting better. Some improvement may be due to the 91 ethanol free -- at $2.19/gallon! -- I have filled the tank with now twice.

Will soon be driving the van to CA and back -- starting in AR. Need to pick up some things I left at my sister's house when I moved from CA to AR. Also, she has some heavy pieces of furniture -- two 6' tall wardrobes and one leather covered and heavy love seat she wants me to have and bring back to AR. (She's going to follow me to AR and wants to get as much out of her house as she can.) Not sure all will fit in the van but the van will be hauling some cargo on the way back. Oh, and there will be 2 people in the van. My sister wants to ride back with me and look for a house to buy here. She will also help me pick out a house to buy.

At the dealer the other day and the parts guy is looking into some plain cargo area interior panels. The parts catalog shows a good number of option codes on these but I am looking for just some plain interior panels to sort of complete the interior of the van. Also, I'd like to get the partition behind the seats installed to "seal" off the passenger area from the cargo area. Not so much to cut down on noise -- the van is surprisingly quiet -- but to reduce how hard the A/C works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine has factory interior panels on the sides and cargo doors under the windows. None on the roof. Quiet enough for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts