Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Metris owners, looking for some advice.

I drove my Metris in to work today and when I went to close the sliding door on the driver’s side, it wouldn’t close. After trying several things and being unable to disconnect the battery (I didn’t have the right tools to remove the battery and disconnect it). I had to call roadside assistance and have the Van towed to a local dealer here in Boston. The service manager informed me that the door latch is defective and needs to be replaced and there are no latches in the local area and hope to have a part delivered tomorrow. On top of all of this, the dealer has no loaner for me and said I was on my own to get a ride home.

What I am looking for feedback on is:
• Has anyone else had this issue with their doors?
• My experience with the Metris is night and day from when I had an R-350 in regards from the dealerships.....with my R-350, I had impeccable service and they bent over backwards to get me a loaner or get my home and pick me up, if needed....have any of you experienced the second or third class citizen treatment with the Van?
• Overall I am happy with the Van, this experience starts to make me question whether or not I should continue to own a Metris since the dealers seem to be having issues with getting parts and issues with poor service / customer service. Anyone else having these issues?

#frustrated

·
Registered
322 Posts
If there is another dealer around tow your van to it.

I think there is another thread about sliding door here just not sure it's the same problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not making excuses mind you...but...if all the loaner vehicles are spoken for, you're hosed. As far as parts...I've already pondered the Metris problem. Metris's are probably the lowest count on the lot...more Sprinter's and "normal" people cars...so the parts inventory is going to be low. A day or two for parts is probably doing really well.

I'm having a different problem (rearview camera) and the MB staff seems perplexed mainly due to the fact they are not spooled up on the Metris. Maybe. Two weeks of back and forth and I got a call today to bring the Metris in next week for the Tech to explore the issue. Didn't say they would fix it...just probe around. They will give me a Metris loaner while the have mine for a day, or two...or three? Tried to wrangle a AMG GT for a loaner to no avail. Still not feeling that MB buyers experience. Time will tell if that changes.

Out of curiosity, what year is your Metris Maximus and how many miles on it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is the second report of a door not closing and having to be towed. When you say it doesn't close what does that mean?

Is the door latch jammed in a way preventing the door from locking closed?

In my head I imagine its the power assist not working. It reminds me of when people call out from work due to a power outage because their car is stuck in the garage. You can still open and close the door manually right?

·
Registered
206 Posts
It reminds me of when people call out from work due to a power outage because their car is stuck in the garage. You can still open and close the door manually right?
I had a neighbor that didn't know that. i had to show him how to pull the release to do it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses and let me clarify what had gone wrong.

The door would close, but the latch would not engage. After several attempts the automatic door stopped working all together and I could slide the door manually. Same issue when I would close it, the latch would not engage and hold the door closed. The latch didn’t look or seem jammed, but clearly wasn’t working.

Although it did happen in my garage during a power outage, does the van door not work when the power is out in the house? Kidddddding

The van has 20,300 miles and is a 2016.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a follow up, I got the van back today and here is what they did (from the work order)

*Installed a ‘maintainer” - not sure what this is
*Installed an SDS - not sure what that is, I am assuming this is the diagnostic tool
* found fault code B10452A
* found release cable bound in release position
* replaced the door latch

Everything was working fine when I got the van back, however, five minutes before I got home the check engine light came on. Not sure what is causing this, but I will call my regualr dealer and bring it in. More to come once I talk to the other dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had a lot of issues with my dealer. They tell me that they typically don't give out loaners to the metris and sprinter vans because they are for commercial use generally. Well, I have 6 kids that need to get to school and I was stuck without a van for 1 week. My passenger door wouldn't close because of the door latch problem and it lost all power. It took them 1 week to fix the door because they had to change the main board that controlled the door and update it. They also had to change the faulty door latch and a broken wire in the door harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, second class citizens we are! Recently did a service A on my used 2016 passenger with 7k on it, had the gas smell parts changed at the same time, and was denied a loaner! I watched loaner after loaner going out to real mercedes people and could only drool. Mercedes Benz of Brooklyn New York says, "No loaners for Metris owners!" ...because we really own sprinters I guess the thinking goes...but I have the fancy logo on the front and back!!!! On the plus side, they had the gas stink parts stocked, knew the issue well and had me out of there in 4 hours. Also had free coffee, bagels, pizza and an ocean view.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes, second class citizens we are! Recently did a service A on my used 2016 passenger with 7k on it, had the gas smell parts changed at the same time, and was denied a loaner! I watched loaner after loaner going out to real mercedes people and could only drool. Mercedes Benz of Brooklyn New York says, "No loaners for Metris owners!" ...because we really own sprinters I guess the thinking goes...but I have the fancy logo on the front and back!!!! On the plus side, they had the gas stink parts stocked, knew the issue well and had me out of there in 4 hours. Also had free coffee, bagels, pizza and an ocean view.
I hate that dealer ship. Sales treated me second class Until they found out I had a cl 65 amg in the service department never went back there again after. My dealer now gives me a loner car when my metris goes in for service or repair. They give me a c class it’s better then nothing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Don't worry fellow 2nd class owners, even I was treated like second-class in Mexican Delaers, even though the V class is technically a regular (i.e. non-commercial) Mercedes, priced well between the GLE and the GLS. I guess a van is not as fancy as an SUV

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An additional item to add to the thread is that my wife got a call from our normal dealer to inform her that they didn't know where the Van was. Not sure what the breakdown was here, but evidently they were notified that the van had been towed and were slightly panicked that they thought they had lost it. When she told them that the van was towed to another dealer, they pretty much hung up on her. They didn't ask if everything was okay or what the problem was, they were just worried that they might have done something wrong with the van.

I don't expect an overly sappy-schmoozy-kiss-your-a** customer service experience, the apparent lack of customer service is really noticed and tarnishes the brand. I do expect professional and competent service with some amount of basic follow up.

I am still dealing with the check engine light and will have a follow up next week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hate that dealer ship. Sales treated me second class Until they found out I had a cl 65 amg in the service department never went back there again after. My dealer now gives me a loner car when my metris goes in for service or repair. They give me a c class it’s better then nothing.
Can you share the dealer you're using now for service? For me the whole idea of concierge auto maintenance and driving a german vehicle is new and strange. I feel like i'm in the falcon heavy now compared to my 2002 dodge ram van, RIP, and i'm accustomed to seeing two or maybe three people total at the "service station," ...Brooklyn Dealership had an army. Also a nice guy followed me around after he found out I was denied a loaner and asked me multiple times if I wanted a ride to the train, seemed like shuttle was his only job. So I really can't hate on them.

Also, Maximus, do you want to call out the offending dealership?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Can you share the dealer you're using now for service? For me the whole idea of concierge auto maintenance and driving a german vehicle is new and strange. I feel like i'm in the falcon heavy now compared to my 2002 dodge ram van, RIP, and i'm accustomed to seeing two or maybe three people total at the "service station," ...Brooklyn Dealership had an army. Also a nice guy followed me around after he found out I was denied a loaner and asked me multiple times if I wanted a ride to the train, seemed like shuttle was his only job. So I really can't hate on them.

Also, Maximus, do you want to call out the offending dealership?
I use Mercedes Benz of Rockville Center that is where I bough my metris from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this issue with my 2016 Passenger when it was only a month old,

Both sliding doors simply wouldn't latch, when the power gave out, that was it.

I had to zip tie the doors closed and drive it to the dealer, took 3 weeks to fix, at the same time, they had another in the shop with the same problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
An update to the original post....it happened again, on the same door. It took them 3 days to isolate the problem and then had to order parts from germany. I had to have the van towed and they had the van for a total of 9 days. I wasn't offered a loaner, wasn't given any status while it was in the shop. I might have hit my limit with the van and dealing with these issues.

Overall I have had it in the shop for 3 extended periods, two of those were due to the doors in under two years. If I add up the time, it's been in the shop for a little less than a month since I bought it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts