Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started noticing that my front suspension makes a terrible squealing sound while turning the steering wheel when it is approximately below freezing outside. This squealing/squeeking is coming from the top of the strut towers on both sides as the strut assembly rotates. Does anyone have an idea as to what is causing this?

There must be a bearing or something at the top of the strut assembly that allows rotation since the entire shock and spring rotate when the wheels are steered. Noise is coming from up there. Could anyone post a diagram of all the parts?

Back in August this year I had an indie MB shop install AdventureVanCo lift springs but did not have any issues until the weather has been cold. Could they have forgotten to grease/install something?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im a 16 year old car enthusiast and i collect hundreds of matchbox cars e.t.c and from what you are saying i think you might have to replace a bearing what year is it so i can look up the diogram

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really hope this helps if not tell me what part and i will look it up in my mercedes books

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, is there a Vito? My buddy gave me a W123 wagon matchbox. Don't think that level of detail is going to help though.

It's not the wheel bearing. No noise unless I turn the steering wheel a large extent. I believe it is actually the top strut tower thrust bearing (on both sides!) where the assembly rotates when turning the steering wheel. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this in general or if my lift kit has effed up my suspension. Either the shop reassembled the struts incorrectly or I have hammered on them too much (suspension slams to its extension stops much quicker now since this is a spring kit that inevitably extends the shock absorber closer to the stop, not pucks installed between the body and strut...long story but I needed stronger springs in the back too so went with the spring kit). I'll see if it gets better if the weather warms up. I'm tempted to spray some oil up there, but it's a pretty blind operation given the tops are way up in a tunnel above the wheel well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take a picture of the van and lift kit and do not spray oil up there if you live in ohio (im from dayton ohio) it is snowing and that oil could freeze and you have a full winter ahead and it might be because of the stopping thing but then again the shop could have screwed it up i have had that happen to my grandmas 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel after the memorial day tornados we got hit with the EF4

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: silicone spray helped for the moment. I'll ask the dealer to look next service interval in a few months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts