Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I've been chasing this for a while now but I'm thinking that my front end (metal-on-metal) rattling over bumps could be the tie rod drop links? I had an indy change the whole front bar since the bushings may have been a bit suspect and you can't get them separately - it's the whole bar or nothing as the bushing come pre-installed. But i'm wondering now about the drop links - anyone had that issue? Easy enough to change, I guess.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've had a rattle since day one, but only in rough dirt roads. It hasn't gotten any worse. I don't think there is any think wrong. I've heard the same noise from pick-up trucks. I did a pretty thorough inspection, even checked the subframe bolts. It's like it only does it at a certain rhythm. Pot holes don't necessarily trigger it. Is this what you've found?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lane - no. Mine did not have a rattle from the start but it developed over time. It happens over expansion joints in the road, bumps at speed (low or high), etc. pretty much all the time. I can't feel it in the wheel but if i'm driving down the street with the window open, I can hear it - especially if i'm next to a wall or other cars that bounce the sound back at me. Dealer has looked at it - twice - and said they can't find it and think it's something in the cargo area, which it's not. It's very obvious the sound is from the front - they just don't want to mess with it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Some of those things are hard pin down. I've had them with motorcycles. I added a larger wind screen to my BMW bikes and then noticed the valves being very loud. I checked the valves, everything looked good. Went by the dealer, service tech. noticed the larger wind screen. He said when did you install that....I said a month ago....I then smilled at him and said about the some time the valves got loud. We laughed....he said he sees it all the time.

Also had a motormount on a motorcycle loosen up. The exhaust was shaking, the bike was vibrating horribly...we thought the engine was about to blow. Nope. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
565 Posts
Quick side note - as, I believe Flacca drives loaded with all kinds of studio & video equipment :)
A couple rattles and new noises I have had with a brand new empty cargo van:
over bridge expansion joints = wooden floor bouncing
when I had my partition wall out = some electrical control box, at the very back of the van, inside the passenger side wall cavity between the wheel well and tail light + the metal cover plate covering that area that is only half fastened down
seat belt clips slapping against the vertical plastic trim piece, sounding like somebody is banging on the van

1 - 5 of 5 Posts