Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggest. I wish I had told him to stay away. 2016. 60,000 miles. $3700 repair bill. Vent valve and oil pressure valve? I've asked him to send me a copy. I asked him the history of the van and said it came from New Jersey. I'm guessing $2500 for vent valve and $1200 for oil pressure regulation of valve? I know cars break but this vent valve issue is unacceptable. If I lived above 37 parallel north latitude which is around Virginia I would sell any mercedes with this engine or move to Florida.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is bad bro...for a vehicle that has 60,000 miles. My 530I is at 376,000 miles and I haven't spent no where near that much.

·
Registered
401 Posts
But how many miles were on that 530I when you acquired it? BMW aren't exactly known for low cost ownership, so yours might be the only one.

Expensive parts and repairs is not just a MB thing, its just about every modern vehicle. Also I bet those prices include several hours of labor, thats the killer as your average shop is in the $105-130 per hour range these days.

What were the part numbers of the parts replaced in this repair? I'd be curious to fire up the EPC and see what they are.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
My experience with the three German luxury brands is that Audi is the most expensive, BMW is a close second but not as durable, and Mercedes is the least expensive and most durable- granting that all three would make a Toyota owner have a heart attack if they were handed half a repair bill.

Besides diehard BMW fans I have never heard anyone suggest BMWs were anything but expensive and relatively troublesome. Including compared to MBs.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Pawo, I bought it at 75,000 miles, have all maintenance records and cost which were none at that point. A partner in My company has a 2007 530I he has had a few things, nothing scary, he's at ,320,000. My wife's 2004 x3 has had very little cost and we are at 220,000, purchased at 95,000. My sister had a 1997 740 bmw that was fantastic and a newer one 10 years ago V-8... It was not good. My mom's 2-3 year old X5 has been good. I hope to get a copy of the maintenance sheet tomorrow from our friend.

I'm not really a die-hard BMW fan...I do like their cars. now I am a big fan of the bikes. I've a 1966 R60...its concours quality. 2005 boxercup 1100s, and a 1200 GS. But I have several other brands of bikes, so not a true fan boy. Lol. Nothing is cheap to repair anymore. One of the biggest problems with German cars in general is they are always fiddling, improving, trying to find more power, new tech. something. I wish they would run models longer.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It is bad bro...for a vehicle that has 60,000 miles. My 530I is at 376,000 miles and I haven't spent no where near that much.
But don't you do ALL your maintenance and repairs? DIY? If you don't, I'm looking for a good indy shop in SC. 😀

·
Registered
576 Posts
If I lived above 37 parallel north latitude which is around Virginia I would sell any mercedes with this engine or move to Florida.
So has the general consensus is that colder climate regions suffer from this valve issue? I've really avoided delving into reading much about this common complaint as I don't want to jinx my '16.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BMW went through this years ago...much cheaper to change it out. They insulated all the various lines and it pretty much stopped it or extended it to reasonable long distance. I believe MB is now insulating the lines/hoses. I believe cold weather causes condensation in the lines/valves and that's causes failures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts