Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took our 2018 passenger on its first grueling trip. We got stuck in some nasty weather going from Oakland CA back to Los Angeles. Pouring rain, flooding roads, they closed the grapevine so we had to take a 3 hour detour through snowing mountains (OMG it was coming down!). Yeah, it was an experience. That little Metris took it all in stride! Flooded streets - BRING IT! Snow with factory tires - Pfft I'm German bitch. High winds - not even an issue.

BUT the rain noise. OMG the rain!! After 8 hours of it pounding like a drum on the roof, I was going INSANE. And the wipers make a clacking sound AND the back wiper makes a click hum on the steering column. Between all of it I wanted to just put in ear plugs. Anyone have solutions to this? I mean this is an extreme circumstance but if I'm driving in the rain on the regular I'm going to get triggered.

I've included this screenshot from a vid I took. Yep, that's snow piled on the side of the windshield! My wiper blades almost frosted over at one time they were struggling so hard! I guess i need to figure out the heating sensors or something. :) All that snow came down in about 30min. INSANE for CA.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Whoa! I was camping in the Metris during that storm. It sounded like the tent terminals at DEN in a hail storm, i.e., like the inside of a snare drum!

BTW, did the insides stay dry? I notice quite a bit of water on the doors and in all the door jambs after a car wash, all external to the vehicle, but nonetheless warranting about 20 minutes of hand drying. The rear 270 barn doors and the passenger slider are especially bad. Glad I don't live where they use salt on the roads --

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was louder going 80 mph. Snare drum for sure.
I didn’t notice any water but honestly I didn’t check. I had been up 24 hrs and driven 14 hrs of it. I just wanted away from that car.
I’ll be sure to look after the car wash next time!

·
Registered
74 Posts
80mph during a heavy down poor????? I am so glad I was not on the same road as you. Hope you stay alive long enough to get full value out of your Metris.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That weather looks like average for MI.....the difference is that here if it was bad weather, that truck would have been barely visible, and there'd have been 4-5 inches of snow on the road itself in addition to what was falling.....like the pic below I took from my 1993 190d diesel frankencar.....(since retired from rust).....

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are some sound reduction materials out there. I don't remember the brands but they are routinely applied to the interiors of conversion vans. I think that they work by adding a combination of mass and an elastomer / rubber like layer.

I am not sure what is in the ceiling of a Metris, but in sprinters, etc. it is common to add insulation, which also helps.

Rather than attempt to recommend an insulation material, feel free to search on those very in depth threads on your own. It ranges from wool to foam, and there are strong proponents for every variation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was in the same storm on the coast 101. tornadoes and flood warnings. I have a 2016 passenger Metris.
I did a lot of research prior to purchase. Weight on the Metris is heavy around 6700lbs. great for rain and snow. Weight is up there because it was a cargo van converted to a passenger van. I like this. Great towing capacity and cargo weight capacity!.
Noise: Van top is made with light sheet metal, no insulation. Runners or framing makes it safe, not the sheet metal by itself. Think intregal. I installed a Pop up tent on top of mine, love it. It helped tremendously with the noise. I am a noise freak. I hate squeaks, rubbing noises..etc. The van is noisy in the rain, however it is quieter than most cargo vans.
I wear ear plugs.
I also get 27.4 mpg. on the freeway at 70 mph. I have hit 29 mpgs but average 27.4. I drive around 30k miles a year.
Just put on Michelins rated for 70k miles. I lost mileage at the beginning down to 25.4, but it is getting better on a weekly basis. I mention this because these tire held great in the flooded areas, and are quieter than the stock tires.
tire noise also bugs me. Soft tire but weighs a little more, thus the mileage change.
Obviously, these are just comments. But a greater understanding of the vehicle.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
A Metris pax van weighs about 4500-4800 lbs; GVWR (the Maximum it can weigh full of cargo and passengers) is 6700 and change, giving you a maximum capacity of 1900-2100 lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A Metris pax van weighs about 4500-4800 lbs; GVWR (the Maximum it can weigh full of cargo and passengers) is 6700 and change, giving you a maximum capacity of 1900-2100 lbs.
You are correct, I am sorry for the mis-quote. I have added weight because of the pop top and van conversion, but not the 6700lbs. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just took our 2018 passenger on its first grueling trip. We got stuck in some nasty weather going from Oakland CA back to Los Angeles. Pouring rain, flooding roads, they closed the grapevine so we had to take a 3 hour detour through snowing mountains (OMG it was coming down!). Yeah, it was an experience. That little Metris took it all in stride! Flooded streets - BRING IT! Snow with factory tires - Pfft I'm German bitch. High winds - not even an issue.

BUT the rain noise. OMG the rain!! After 8 hours of it pounding like a drum on the roof, I was going INSANE. And the wipers make a clacking sound AND the back wiper makes a click hum on the steering column. Between all of it I wanted to just put in ear plugs. Anyone have solutions to this? I mean this is an extreme circumstance but if I'm driving in the rain on the regular I'm going to get triggered.

I've included this screenshot from a vid I took. Yep, that's snow piled on the side of the windshield! My wiper blades almost frosted over at one time they were struggling so hard! I guess i need to figure out the heating sensors or something. :) All that snow came down in about 30min. INSANE for CA.
View attachment 17517
Try sound deadning the interior it will help alot with noise reduction and insulation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts