Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2018 Metris extended wheelbase cargo van and it has the button for the fog lights and when pressed the light on the dash lights up but this model did not come with the actual fog lights. My question is does anyone know of the harness is present for the fog lights so I could just buy the lights themself and install them. Thanks and enjoy reading through the different topics on here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It is most likely the rear fog light that you have. If you have 2 buttons, them maybe the wires are there, but most likely not.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
All Metris models come with a standard rear fog light. It’s a single bright red bulb in (iirc) the drivers side rear light assembly. It is a legal requirement in Europe and Mercedes includes them on every model they sell. The purpose of the light is to help vehicles behind you see you in adverse weather conditions.

It also useful if you have auto headlamps because turning on the rear fog light will turn on your main dipped beams and all associated lights as if you switched the lights on, and they will of course not turn on next time you drive. So if you are driving in poor visibility just push that button and forget about it.

Turning on the front fogs only if equipped will turn on your markers but not your headlamps by the by.

Metris models equipped with front fog lights have two buttons in that location- front and rear fogs.

Note: in a few states rear fog lights are technically illegal. Also you will occasionally be bugged by citizens (or stopped by cops) for having a tail lamp out of you use them, because the light is only on one side. Obviously all you have to do is explain the feature. I suspect that no reasonable and polite motorist has ever actually been ticketed for using one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the explanation. I tried it and I see how it works now. I’ve never seen a vehicle with rear fog lights. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts