Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I been having some issues with my FM radio station some has way to much static I'm in NYC and these for some of the most common station too. Any information on how to fix it would be a great help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine worked great for a couple of months. Then one morning, I backed out of the garage, and my usual radio station was static filled. When I scan, it finds only a single station strong enough to stop on. It used to work fine. My other cars pick up plenty of FM stations without the static.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mine worked great for a couple of months. Then one morning, I backed out of the garage, and my usual radio station was static filled. When I scan, it finds only a single station strong enough to stop on. It used to work fine. My other cars pick up plenty of FM stations without the static.
My other car the fm works fine with the same stations I have issues with the metris

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It's a general problem with this vehicle. I had my radio replaced once on it, but I don't really use my radio much (at all, actually), so I haven't pursued the fact that it still stinks. Just confirming I think it's a vehicle wide issue.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I drove our roadside van and can confirm the fm sucks in that. Mine is just soso.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Last time I checked Crutchfield they didn't have a selection for the Metris yet, but they did have a good selection of head units for the Sprinter. Anyone know if the mounting for the Metris and Sprinter are the same?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could it be the antenna is built into the windshield? I know some cars have the antenna built into rear window.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can verify the suckiness of the NYC area radio reception. Thank f**k I'm not in Podunk, Pennsyltucky or I'd not get anything, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Actually, oddly enough, I can pick up WRFY just about anywhere in Berks or Lancaster counties. (Thats a Reading-based classic rock station.) I think that the problem may have more to do with an inability on the systems part to filter out interference in American urban areas (presumably a type that isn't present in Europe). You'd be astonished how much these sort of things vary from country to country.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My van going in for service Monday. Should I tell them about this issue or there isn't anything that they can do about it. From the looks of things I think they will have my van for a few days regarding all the problems I have written down.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Replying to myself. Today, while driving around, I was annoyed by the static on a station that's received perfectly fine in that location by my other vehicles, and it was received OK by the Metris when new.

I looked down and noticed that in the cubby below the cup holders, I have a little power box that plugs into the power port and on the front has four USB jacks and three 12V ports. It's also got a small digital voltage readout. It has a power switch on the back which I curse because it's a rocker switch that's easily moved. But, I digress.

I turned off the switch.

Aha - the static in the radio noticeably reduced. I switched it back on. More static.

So, my cheapo 4-port USB power adapter is radiating interference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to follow up on the question by MakerMark about pulling the radio and the antenna connection. Yes I have pulled the radio when I installed the excellent aftermarket "plug & play" backup camera module that Nav-TV sells.

The antenna jack is a micro port with a special Mercedes connector. Could possibly be cannibalized and used for another antenna but that would be beyond my electronics skills. Interesting thing though that after my install I experienced the same problem described here. At first I couldn't get any of my normal stations and then slowly the radio started to "re-learn" their signal until now it works perfectly again. Probably just a loose antenna connection wiggling its way back to a strong contact point as I was driving down the road but I swear it seamed to be one station at a time and more of a learning curve then that...very strange.

To remove the radio and check your antenna connection is a very easy process. Take a plastic pry tool and work your way around the vent radio face plate, carefully pry it loose. After it is free, tilt it down slightly and pull it out of the way (vents have some foam gasket around them that will offer a little resistance). Radio is mounted with 4 torx screws. Remove them and pull the radio out. Antenna is the single thicker black cable with a purple connector on the passenger side of the radio (going from memory on that but it's pretty obvious which one it is).

You might try disconnecting and re-connecting and see if that helps with your problem. Good luck!

Orb

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the info Orb
I haven't got my Metris yet, and this thread had me thinking about adding an antenna booster since I live out here in the middle of the cornfields.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts