Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought dedicated winter tires/rims, so will also finally buy a floor jack for my garage.

I'm thinking 3 ton? GVW of Metris passenger is ~ 6700lbs. But 3 ton jack is safe for lifting one wheel at a time, yes?

Could I go 2 ton and still be confidently safe?

Also, when I worked at a service station we changed tires all the time with just the floor jack, no jack stands. Just pre-loosen and don't get underneath as you work. But everything I see on line says to use jack stands all the time no matter what. IS that really necessary to just swap a tire?

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bought dedicated winter tires/rims, so will also finally buy a floor jack for my garage.

I'm thinking 3 ton? GVW of Metris passenger is ~ 6700lbs. But 3 ton jack is safe for lifting one wheel at a time, yes?

Could I go 2 ton and still be confidently safe?
Yes with the proviso that you're using a decent jack. Some of these bottom-of-the-line jacks are no good at 1/4 their weight rating. I've had real cheap ones bend handles, burst seals, twist casters, etc. on first use.

On the other hand, the mechanical advantage of a typical 2-ton will be such that lifting the Metris will require a lot of effort. For that reason alone I would go with a bigger jack.

Also, the Metris is rated at 6,724 fully loaded. An unloaded van will weigh in the mid-4,000s.
Also, when I worked at a service station we changed tires all the time with just the floor jack, no jack stands. Just pre-loosen and don't get underneath as you work. But everything I see on line says to use jack stands all the time no matter what. IS that really necessary to just swap a tire?

Thanks
If you knew for certain that your floor jack would release without warning at some point in the middle of your tire change, would you feel comfortable without a safety stand? Using stands is a habit you want to develop and maintain, similar to "every gun is loaded."

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you knew for certain that your floor jack would release without warning at some point in the middle of your tire change, would you feel comfortable without a safety stand? Using stands is a habit you want to develop and maintain, similar to "every gun is loaded."
Good point there, thanks.

Regarding the buy a decent jack advice, I'm assuming Harbor Freight jacks qualify as cheap ones?

·
Registered
308 Posts

Regarding the buy a decent jack advice, I'm assuming Harbor Freight jacks qualify as cheap ones?
I believe there are recalls for HF jacks but Daytona is good with low profile (in case you have other cars) on sale frequently for around $80.

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
309 Posts
I use an Arcan HJ 3000 3 ton jack. It works good, it has never released prematurely so far. I use it on my Prius also, which is why I needed a low profile jack.

Its not the cheapest jack, but I'm willing to pay extra for a quality tool that will hopefully last longer than a budget jack.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

No, they qualify, as the Germans say, as “völlig beschiessen und wertlos”. That is to say, avoid Harbor Freight stores as if they were a wormhole to Chernobyl.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, they qualify, as the Germans say, as “völlig beschiessen und wertlos”. That is to say, avoid Harbor Freight stores as if they were a wormhole to Chernobyl.
That is f'n funny!
conbining bescheissen und wertlos ist ganz lustig!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can also recommend the Arcan HJ 3000. The first time I jacked using a Harbor Freight all aluminum 2 ton unit. Within a few minutes hydraulic fluid started leaking out of the piston. That jack is now reserved for lifting my lawn mower. The Arcan feels quite dependable.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can also recommend the Arcan HJ 3000. The first time I jacked using a Harbor Freight all aluminum 2 ton unit. Within a few minutes hydraulic fluid started leaking out of the piston. That jack is now reserved for lifting my lawn mower. The Arcan feels quite dependable.
2 ton HB vs 3 ton Arcan???

And you used a 2 ton jack expecting it would hold your van?

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
309 Posts
Hank- Yes, that sure looks to be the same jack that I have- all of the specs are the same. I forgot that I had gotten mine from Costco. The one I bought and the one you linked to have the same item number so most likely the same product unless Arcan has done a switcheroo.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My Arcan has been bombproof for 25 years. And it has zerk fittings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts