Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 10 Metris vans that we will be running between 20 and 50k a year in. All have maitnenance plans and extended warranty. We were planning on increasing the fleet to over 30, but unless Mercedes get their dealer network figured out we wil probably switch to Transit 2500 low roof. With discounts they are only about $1,000 more than the Metris and the Ford dealers understand commercial users. We need to get vehicles in and out. A real shame because the vehicle size is perfect for our needs. I will keep the forum posted on reliability and costs as the fleet matures. Our oldest vehicle is coiming up to being a year old.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is an update. Our oldest vehicles have over 40k on them. Having serious problems with tire wear. On top of that it looks like Mercedes doesn't align them from the Factory. So going forward we are going to insist on that with the PDI. The OEM Continental Vanco FourSeason tires are terrible. We have gone through 3 sets at 20k miles. We have switched to Kumho Ecsta. Much better tire. Far better wear. Other than that the vehicles are doing great. Zero issues so far.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The OEM Continental Vanco FourSeason tires are terrible. We have gone through 3 sets at 20k miles.
I recently took two VancoFourSeason tires off my van at about 14k miles because of weird uneven wear. I don't know how this affects the wear issue but, once removed from the rims, I was surprised with how soft the side walls of these tires are. I don't think I've ever encountered an automobile tire that had such a thin and soft sidewall.

A thought has crossed my mind about buying a new Metris. Can they be ordered without tires? I mean, if MBUSA is going to distance themselves so much from anything to do with the tires, can't we decline to purchase them? Perhaps it makes sense to buy 3rd party wheels and have them fitted with Michelins. Then show up to the dealer with the wheels in hand, ready to be installed and aligned. I don't know how much the wheels are but I was quoted well over $300/each for the Continental tires at a dealership. I would think we could scrape $2k off the price of a new van this way. [Kind of like how we used to order Mac computers with the least amount of RAM and then immediately load them with aftermarket RAM at a discount.]

Back to the OP. Can you post the specs that your vans are being aligned with? I've had a hard time finding official alignment specs for these but I think the toe and camber should be close to zero for best wear performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kudos for this input. I to would like to see the MB dealer network find a way to adjust their culture to better support this fleet/commercial sector. Enterprise culture is slow and difficult to change I realize but not doing so would be a real fail.

Perhaps this group can help promote this culture expansion one dealer at a time?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed. I have been shocked at how badly behaved most Mercedes Dealers are. We currently use at least 6 different dealers. None of them have a clue how to treat a Commercial customer. With Amazon buying 20,000 Sprinters they are in for a rude awakening. I cannot see all those Amazon delivery drivers putting up with MB dealer antics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently took two VancoFourSeason tires off my van at about 14k miles because of weird uneven wear. I don't know how this affects the wear issue but, once removed from the rims, I was surprised with how soft the side walls of these tires are. I don't think I've ever encountered an automobile tire that had such a thin and soft sidewall.

A thought has crossed my mind about buying a new Metris. Can they be ordered without tires? I mean, if MBUSA is going to distance themselves so much from anything to do with the tires, can't we decline to purchase them? Perhaps it makes sense to buy 3rd party wheels and have them fitted with Michelins. Then show up to the dealer with the wheels in hand, ready to be installed and aligned. I don't know how much the wheels are but I was quoted well over $300/each for the Continental tires at a dealership. I would think we could scrape $2k off the price of a new van this way. [Kind of like how we used to order Mac computers with the least amount of RAM and then immediately load them with aftermarket RAM at a discount.]

Back to the OP. Can you post the specs that your vans are being aligned with? I've had a hard time finding official alignment specs for these but I think the toe and camber should be close to zero for best wear performance.
Not sure they ever give us the data. I am meeting with my fleet purchase dealer next week. I will find out from them for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We now have 14 Metris vans. biggest issue we are seeing is fuel pump failure. We have had 3 pumps fail. Other than that normal mess with dealerships. Not enough commercial dealers, no sense of urgency to get commercial jobs turned around. We now get all consumable work done by independent shops who have proven to be outstanding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we now have 19 Metris Cargo vans in our fleet. Some have nearly 100k miles on them. Going strong. Only continuing issue are fuel pumps .The Metris does not like dirty fuel at all. The dealers are still a total joke. They have no sense of urgency. We get every new Metris aligned before delivery. They are always out of whack. Having run fleets of Ford and GM the thing I really appreciate is rock solid electrical, switches, instrument panel and totally reliable AC.The small stuf that breaks on a Ford and GM simply doesn't on a Metris.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So we now have 19 Metris Cargo vans in our fleet. Some have nearly 100k miles on them. Going strong. Only continuing issue are fuel pumps .The Metris does not like dirty fuel at all. The dealers are still a total joke. They have no sense of urgency. We get every new Metris aligned before delivery. They are always out of whack.
Observations:
1. All 19 are Cargo models, disassembled and then reassembled before delivery.
2. Tire wear is probably the most common complaint on this forum.
3. A set of tires costs at least four times what a 4-wheel alignment costs.

I expect to take delivery of a new custom-ordered 2020 Metris Cargo in the next two to four months. I am going to ask my sales rep if the dealership I am buying this vehicle from has done a complete alignment on this car. If not, will they do it as a preemptive measure given the experience of members of this forum. If this answer is no, I will offer to split the cost of the alignment.

What say you all?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would definitely get an alignment. There is a service bulletin out that updates the alignment specs AR40.20-S-0200E

·
Registered
483 Posts
This will be a goldmine post for those who want to kind of 'see the future' on those who are Metris roadrunners.
MW, have you seen any charging issues or battery replacement in any of your fleet? Do you mind if I ask what line of business you are in? I'm a little bit of a leadfoot driver, and while the Metris Cargo has held up well...sometimes I worry about the consequences. I know in general it's putting more wear on the vehicle parts, but some vehicles are not effected much being 'driven' spiritedly on many occasions. For me it's mostly high 80mph to tipping 90 highway speeds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This will be a goldmine post for those who want to kind of 'see the future' on those who are Metris roadrunners.
MW, have you seen any charging issues or battery replacement in any of your fleet? Do you mind if I ask what line of business you are in? I'm a little bit of a leadfoot driver, and while the Metris Cargo has held up well...sometimes I worry about the consequences. I know in general it's putting more wear on the vehicle parts, but some vehicles are not effected much being 'driven' spiritedly on many occasions. For me it's mostly high 80mph to tipping 90 highway speeds.
We are in a service business. We do a lot of highway miles as each of our techs covers a pretty big territory. Our guys constantly run at 70 - 80 mph. We are also always pretty heavily loaded. At least 1,000 lbs of cargo. The metris is so stable when heavily loaded. No issues with charging and batteries. We operate in the Midwest, florida and Arizona. We get around 21 mpg urban 25 highway

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The Vito is governed to 200kmh- 124mph- and operates happily in a country where using that speed is legal. I don’t think your van is gonna notice you going a measly 90.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just had our first electrical issue. Blower motor started drawing huge amps caused main cable to battery to start smoking. Could easily have been a fire. Surprised the fuse didn't blow. 2019 new truck. Less than 1,000 miles on it.Repaired under warranty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fleet is now 24 Metris Cargo vans. Still not really having any significant issues. Biggest problem is getting parts, particularly body components to repair after an accident. Often takes a month or so to get body panels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts