Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a van! :grin:

I need to hire a flatbed auto transport company. My van needs to travel ~800 miles. The company that the dealership recommended is about 5-6x the norm, according to my friend the Internet.

Also, I don't need the enclosed option if I'm in the Southwest, do I?

Thanks,
Lala
:grin:

·
Registered
191 Posts

I need to hire a flatbed auto transport company. My van needs to travel ~800 miles. The company that the dealership recommended is about 5-6x the norm, according to my friend the Internet.

Thanks,
Lala
If it was me...

I'd fly out and drive back. Once you sign the papers the van is your property. If there's something wrong with the van, or it gets damaged in transport, the dealer (who is safely 800 miles away) will blame you or the shipper. The shipper will blame you or the dealer. Then you get to fight with their insurance companies, who are experts at denying claims.

The nice thing about picking up a car in person is you can simply refuse to pay if it is screwed up.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
443 Posts

Thanks,
Lala
You can try http://readylogistics.com/

No idea how it will price out, but for full disclosure my company owns this company and we move A LOT of cars from/to all the car actions across the states.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know anything about a company called Montway?

I'll look into a quote from pounce's people tomorrow.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I can offer this service. All I require a flight to and from.
My Credentials: Dealer tech with over 1000 hours seat time (total number got deleted with my cluster update :crying:)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Speaking for myself, I would never purchase a vehicle sight unseen AND have it delivered. I would want to take it for a preacceptance test drive, and a shake-down run (the trip home). 800 miles isn’t that far. I would transport out, take delivery that night, sleep over, and drive home the next morning. I could do 800 miles in one day- that’s about 12-13 hours driving including meal/potty/fuel breaks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought my GLK in Corpus Christi, TX and drove it non-stop to Kansas City MO (That's 950 miles), I did little over 11 hours. I was driving consistently 10-15 over and fuel stops were combo Fuel/Food/Restroom stops. I loved it, especially because of the new-to-me car feeling. But I have also had couple of cars shipped to me before, but I have to agree with GML, If you can go for them. Both cars were preowned, the first one I had it checked at the dealer before shipping and the car was great, it was bought AS-IS anyways so no much I could've change, the other one was a pice of crap that I bought very cheap and didn't want to spend the extra on the delar check, big mistake. So there you go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all of the great info. I have had the car looked at by a source I trust. My going over it doesn't mean much since I don't have the knowledge base of most of you.

The issue is because it is a dealership, taxes and fees become 10% of the car's cost if I go out and pick it up. Paying the taxes in New Mexico, a not so rich state where it will be driven, feels like the right thing. Also, you don't fight with the dmv here, there is a possibility that even if I have paid the taxes in another state, they will make me pay it here too!

RobbMeeX: I love this idea! I don't know if that would be acceptable to them (I.e. no fees and paying taxes there). I assume you're kidding but New Mexico is a fun state to visit and we have a comfy couch:)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don’t know how it is in other state but in NY if you registered a car in NY you pay NY taxes if I buy a car outside NY I don’t pay that state tax bc it won’t be registered in that state.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RobbMeeX: feel free to message me, although I may not have enough posts to message you back.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I was living in Missouri I bought cars from Texas and Florida. For the car bought in Texas they collected the sales tax and sent the paperwork to my local DMV. But they insisted they HAD to collect it even if it was a different state. Not sure if a Texas thing or a dealer thing. For the one in Florida I just had to fill out a waiver format and that was it. I paid the taxes once I registered it.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Thanks,
Lala
I've been thinking....
You need to find another dealer. My last Sprinter a dealer delivered it 400 miles to my door... no extra cost. Maybe 800 miles is too far for them to drive it to you, but they should be arranging deeply discounted transport. Your salesman shouldn't be padding the pocket of some friend in vehicle transport.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used Da Multiservice, LLC for mine. All the way from North Carolina to Arizona. No problem at all and I think it was about $1100 paid to the carrier on delivery and another $300 paid to Mercury Transport at time of order who is actually just a broker who found Da Multiservice. And yes, I received a City tax bill for almost $500. Which sucked, because I had already paid my state tax, dmv fees at the time of sale. Totally, wasn't expecting the city "use" tax.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've been thinking....
You need to find another dealer. My last Sprinter a dealer delivered it 400 miles to my door... no extra cost. Maybe 800 miles is too far for them to drive it to you, but they should be arranging deeply discounted transport. Your salesman shouldn't be padding the pocket of some friend in vehicle transport.
I don't think i would want a lot lizard beating the sh!t out of my new van for 800 miles. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will probably go with Montway, their price is reasonable.

Since I am buying a used 2016 from a Ford dealer, I do not believe that they have much incentive to drive it here. I think that my sales guy just quoted the company that they use. Once I told him what I found, he informed me that it was a good price and that they pay $400 for short distances within California. He works long hours and has told me to call/text even when he is not working, which I don't.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Since I am buying a used 2016 from a Ford dealer, I do not believe that they have much incentive to drive it here. I think that my sales guy just quoted the company that they use. Once I told him what I found, he informed me that it was a good price and that they pay $400 for short distances within California. He works long hours and has told me to call/text even when he is not working, which I don't.
Cool, let us know how it goes and if you run into any tax issues within your state. I was questioning the legality of my city asking for tax. Since the state tax was already paid. But, after talking to them and getting nowhere. I just paid them! The lady (city) on the phone said they are now cracking down on out of state online purchases over a $1000. Where as before they let slide. It's still weird that I can buy a vehicle in another city within my state and not have to pay my city "use tax".

·
Registered
72 Posts

Well that's a whole another story.... I assumed you were buying new from a M-B dealer. Good luck with the van and transport.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts