Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don’t know what the difference is, but I installed the 447-310-04-00 this weekend on a 2018 and fit perfectly. It even came with backing plates, bolts, nuts, and washers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I recall you saying you wanted to install hitch and wiring harness and let MB do the control module and programming. How much did your Mb dealer charge you for the install and programming?
tia

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had my van programmed today as per AN31.10-S-8080EE and we had the same problem. No tailer zoom options on the rear view display.

This despite the fact that the he newly-installed trailer recognition module was clearly alive and talking. It was able to drive a set of trailer tail lamps plugged in to the 7-pin module. And the multifunction display was able to report that a trailer lamp was out.

But no rear view camera zoom options.

The dealer reprogrammed everything a second time while I waited, but to no avail.

After discussing it a bit with the service manager, he noted that although the AN31.10-S-8080EE document describes SCN coding of the electronic ignition lock (step 12), ESP control unit (step 13), signal acquisition and control unit (step 14) and reversing camera control unit (step 15) - it does not explicitly mention re-coding the audio unit itself.

Apparently that was the missing ingredient. I'm not privy to how these operations look on the technician's end, but after they took it back in to perform the additional step of re-coding the audio unit, the the trailer zoom options appeared, and all was well.

I hope this is helpful to someone who finds himself in a similar situation.
How much did MB charge your for programming if I do the rest myself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recall you saying you wanted to install hitch and wiring harness and let MB do the control module and programming. How much did your Mb dealer charge you for the install and programming?
tia
Funny you should ask since I’ve been procrastinating about dropping off at dealer to get this done. I’ve had the hitch and harness installed for a month now. I was going to buy and plug in the control module, but I might leave that to them since all of the plugs are right there in the side hatch and I labeled everything. So all they have to do is click the module in and do programming. The module costs around $370 and I was hoping to spend no more than a few hundred on the programming, but we’ll see. I think it’ll vary drastically from dealer to dealer depending on their familiarity. I’m hoping to get it done soon, so I’ll let you know.

·
Registered
177 Posts
How much did MB charge your for programming if I do the rest myself?
No charge. It was a condition of my purchasing the van. Or looked at another way, it cost me the price of a Metris.

I assume they would charge an hour labor to reprogram another van. I say that because the service manager circled steps 11-15 on the retrofit document along with the annotation "1.0 hr."

·
Registered
8 Posts
The more I stew on it the more irked I get that MB have added the trailer brake connector for the '19's with no retrofit for the rest of us. Here's what the 2018 OM says:

WARNING
If you tow a trailer without a separate functional
braking system and a gross trailer
weight (GTW) of more than 1635 lbs (750 kg),
then the vehicle brake system may overheat.
This increases the braking distance and the
brake system may even fail. There is an
increased risk of accident and injury, possibly
even fatal.

Always use a trailer with a separate functional
braking system when towing a trailer with a
gross trailer weight (GTW) of more than
1635 lbs (750 kg).

These guys MUST have some responsibility!

Does the 2019 have brake controller capability?? I've been trying to do my research adding OEM hitch and trailer module, but i have a 2019 and all these thread or 2018 and earlier. Wondering if I won't need to do certain parts of this install. TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is anyone using an adapter from the 7 blade round trailer electrical jack to a 4 pin flat plug on their trailer? I saw a couple of reviews on Amazon that they get some vehicles computers confused.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've used a 4 pin adapter also with no issues. My trailer has LED light modules with a couple incandescent side markers and it works fine. Buy a 7 to 4 pin converter that has little LED's on it to signify the trailer lights, its very handy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, the deed is done. Had my dealer provide and install the trailer recognition unit and do programming. They supposedly do a bunch of metris hitches so the programming went perfectly. I had to shell out $500 for the labor which seems high, but I was just glad to put this project behind me and know that it’s done correctly. I also saved a boat load on doing the hitch install and wiring harness myself. I know it worked since I have the trailer backup cam option and the dash told me my trailer lights were out. I ordered a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter of amazon and works just fine.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts