Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

101 - 120 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had dealer program mine, still working through some testing to see if it is all correct. During programming they had a similar issue with the brake lights failing to function. They diagnosed it as a bad pin in the wiring harness that you listed below. One of the pins was not correctly installed and had intermittent contact. They replaced the pin in the harness as "warranty" as I purchased the harness from the dealer. You may want to start there as it sounds like MB has some issues with quality control in those wiring harnesses.

RS

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread on the forum and have been trying to install the tow package on my dad's van. The parts I have installed are a aftermarket hitch, 020-545-40-26 Socket, 447-540-63-36 electrical wiring harness, and 447-900-4105 trailer recognition control unit.

All components have been installed and the MB dealership has programmed the trailer recognition control per AN31.10-S-8080E.

All of the trailer lighting works, but the trailer brake lights. MB has tested on their trailer panel and everything works, but the brake lights. MB says they will need more time to troubleshoot the issue. I saw that for John Gooch that the brake signal was obtained by tapping into drivers rear brake light.

Has anyone encountered this issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Happy to report that after programming and the pin fix all of the trailer functions work and there are no more error codes on the gauge display. Tows well and had its first mission yesterday afternoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Placed my order with my dealer today for all the bits and pieces to make the trailer hitch happen on my van. Price was roughly the same as originally spec'd in this thread. There was only 7 hitches available in the USA at the current time (6 now!) everything else was also readily available. Should have all the parts by the 22nd or so then the project begins! I don't anticipate it being that difficult to complete. May be acquiring a travel trailer at some point in the not too distant future, so that will be what its towing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
anyone know a new part number for the hitch itself? The one listed here is discontinued.
Hi,

Wondering if you were able to find the new part number. I bought an after market hitch and hate it since it scrapes on even small driveways.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been down this road and educated three dealers and Mercedes HQ on their own trailer hitch policy a year ago. Finally got it sorted with the help of posts on the board. Here is an image of exactly what you need, and as you can see from the last item, most of the cost is quite literally getting Germany to send the code to get the controller module to talk to the 7 pin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just ordered the trailer hitch from Mercedes of Reno for $359 using the part number listed above (0447-310-04-00). Online Mercedes parts stores were all listing the part as "discontinued".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, I’m just purchased a 3500# travel trailer that I’m towing with my 2018 Metris with factory oem hitch and 7 pin. The trailer manufacturer installed a wireless prodigy brake controller and e2 sway bar. The trailer brakes work and the trailer brake lights respond.

What does not work are the trailer turn signal lights. And if I have the emergency lights on, the trailer will intermittently brake. My trailer is equipped with a wireless backup camera. The backup camera intermittently cuts out the visual image.

I reached out to my local MB service but they have failed to even call me back. Any tips on how to get this fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
111 Posts
In case anyone else is looking for it, there is a good DIY install video here:
That's great! would love to see the electrical wiring and also how about adjusting the computer? I read about some additional programming that will be required and can only be done by dealers? That might be the expensive part...

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello, new to forum, just purchased a new 2019 cargo van .. the salesman knew that the van would be used only for towing a travel trailer ( 2895) gross weight. the van did not come with the tow package. there was no concern shared by the salesman, that towing would not be possible. i.e.... trailer electric brakes. i have read the forum from cover to cover concerning this subject. there seems to be no true solution to the problem. the dealer stated that a 3rd party working on the electric system could void the warranty. however, the dealer had no solution. here is my feeling on this subject.. in the metric brochure it states 5,000 lbs towing capacity. it does not state that a special modular (tow package) that is not ordered in germany and cannot be replicated in the US , therefore , the metric, cannot tow any vehicle over 1600 lbs legally in most states. it is quite possible a class action could be launched against the dealer and mb. please respond if you feel that my situation os similar too yours...

·
Registered
26 Posts
hello, new to forum, just purchased a new 2019 cargo van .. the salesman knew that the van would be used only for towing a travel trailer ( 2895) gross weight. the van did not come with the tow package. there was no concern shared by the salesman, that towing would not be possible. i.e.... trailer electric brakes. i have read the forum from cover to cover concerning this subject. there seems to be no true solution to the problem. the dealer stated that a 3rd party working on the electric system could void the warranty. however, the dealer had no solution. here is my feeling on this subject.. in the metric brochure it states 5,000 lbs towing capacity. it does not state that a special modular (tow package) that is not ordered in germany and cannot be replicated in the US , therefore , the metric, cannot tow any vehicle over 1600 lbs legally in most states. it is quite possible a class action could be launched against the dealer and mb. please respond if you feel that my situation os similar too yours...
That is just a TON of misinformation from your dealer. Contact HQ, they are very familiar with the tow hitch debacle they created among dealers, which was corrected last year, and have them give that dealer an update on policy. OEM hitches and RF brake controllers are the common solution now, and it doesn't void warranty. MB has to program the 7-pin to make any of it work--and they wouldn't do that if it voided a warranty. Ridiculous dealer info. I can't believe this is still happening out there. What a headache for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a metris today, not delivered yet. I saw the prewired for towing & thought I could just crawl under there later & DIY. Apparently not. If RF means radio frequency, I don't want it. .. I'm not sure I even want this van now. I really like everything else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a metris today, not delivered yet. I saw the prewired for towing & thought I could just crawl under there later & DIY. Apparently not. If RF means radio frequency, I don't want it. .. I'm not sure I even want this van now. I really like everything else.
I was leery of RF, but my Prodigy works great with my rv trailer. I've had zero issues with the setup for over a year now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was leery of RF, but my Prodigy works great with my rv trailer. I've had zero issues with the setup for over a year now.
There seems to be so many issues with these vans that I balked at the deal and put it on pause for now. I supposed I need to to do more homework. As many in the van world know, the options for us are few in NA.

I'm in the market for a van, I really like the metris a lot. Glad your trailer set up is working for you. I'm so tired of all the nanny stuff. I was actually quite relieved the worker van I almost bought and may still buy was pretty plain jane in that regard.

101 - 120 of 151 Posts