Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
Thank you for sharing the numbers and photos.

So, that's what it looks like naked ;) !

I hate that bent little bracket for the electric part with a passion, and would love to figuratively slap the engineer that authorized that design to be implemented, because it shows he/she is clueless. I can't use several of my pins, you can only insert the pin from the left and you can completely forget * about using anything with a locking mechanism, to protect your $$$ adjustable or multi-point specialty hitches. Completely stupid. Worst design I have seen in 20 years of vehicles I have used for towing. And that for a MB!!!

[ * ] need some lock that fits the small space

So, if you are not getting the electrical hookup, you may want to remove that piece; so you can lock down your bike rack or whatever you are installing.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
Thanks. I did not think anything would fit in there. Have not seen that style yet, but good to know that solutions to this situation caused by the Metris designers exist … just need more parts and locks and keys to keep track of!
Will be on the lookout.

Automotive tire Calipers Bumper Wood Asphalt

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,204 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
The more you know!
Now I will blame both :D ;)

On a Metris it may be critical to operate and lubricate the lock a couple of times a year; so it does not seize up.

On my ML, I had to cut the pin ( as in my picture earlier, I had a few of them ) because the lock had become inoperable, probably after not unlocking it for two years. No amount of cleaning, penatrating oil, gentle heat and little taps, jiggling, etc ... over the course of a week did anything. Things were just fused together. Probably due water ingress and a reaction / corrosion with road salt / brine / ...

Fortunately, plenty of space to access and cut on an ML, to get in there with a grinder. On a Metris such removal might be a challenge ... given the metal flange to hold the power, and the loops right under the lock too.

Ordered the MasterLock.
Thanks @pounce

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts

Hello, I'm still in doubt whether I need a towbar. is this how your kit works
Yes. That is how the backup camera works with towing. Our tow bar in the US is different, if you look at our photos in this thread. Stability control functions are adjusted when you have a trailer.

That video really reminds me of the difference in trailer building between the EU and US. Neat to see the Vito will tow something that big and high off the ground. Certainly need ESP and Crosswind assist on a stormy day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I saw a reply about wiring the 7 pin connector to the harness. Can anyone elaborate on the harness part number?
After three months and $1500 Mercedes dealers in Florida are not able to find a seven pin round connector for the lighting controller that they installed and flashed. They said they could not even test it so I don’t even know if it works.
They sold me a 13 pin European connector because that’s all they could find. From quotes in this thread it seems there is a way to wire a seven pin connector if I can find the right harness. The thread was from three years ago and I’m wondering if there is a snap in plug for the seven pin like there is the European 13 now?
If not can someone post the harness part number? 2018 Metris and hope to tow a 17’ Casita

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
I saw a reply about wiring the 7 pin connector to the harness. Can anyone elaborate on the harness part number?
After three months and $1500 Mercedes dealers in Florida are not able to find a seven pin round connector for the lighting controller that they installed and flashed. They said they could not even test it so I don’t even know if it works.
They sold me a 13 pin European connector because that’s all they could find. From quotes in this thread it seems there is a way to wire a seven pin connector if I can find the right harness. The thread was from three years ago and I’m wondering if there is a snap in plug for the seven pin like there is the European 13 now?
If not can someone post the harness part number? 2018 Metris and hope to tow a 17’ Casita

Did you see post # 171 #171

( there may be others earlier on, but that's the first one I saw, going back in time, to previous pages )

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are a lot of posts in this thread. Can you provide a little more context about what you are talking about and asking?
I installed the trailer module, hitch etc. and everything works EXCEPT the brake lamp function. I also receive a message on the dash as though the bulb is out. It sounded like some others had problems with the factory add-on harness regarding the pins with the same issue. I do still need to get the module programmed, but it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the brake light issue.

It's also strange because the turn signal function does work correctly.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,204 Posts
I installed the trailer module, hitch etc. and everything works EXCEPT the brake lamp function. I also receive a message on the dash as though the bulb is out. It sounded like some others had problems with the factory add-on harness regarding the pins with the same issue. I do still need to get the module programmed, but it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the brake light issue.

It's also strange because the turn signal function does work correctly.

Ah, ok. So this thread and this post?

I would imagine just checking each pin on the connector is enough?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would imagine so unless it was in the wrong slot. I checked them all, but the turn signal and the brake is the same wire, so I was confused how that would have been a problem unless the put the pin in the wrong hole. Maybe I’ll try a different module…

·
Registered
2020 135WB Cargo
13 Posts
Does any one know how to remove the “ventilation scoop” that’s on the the side of the vehicle just above where the trailer hitch wire harness goes in under the bumper cover? Without breaking it! In the process of installing OEM hitch.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

201 - 220 of 232 Posts